Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

Loving this input. Truth be told, I want a moderate improvement on what I have at a modest cost. I want the MM-6 to win here. I will give it some more time trying some different things. I can likely give some more critical time to it on Wednesday. Meanwhile coming up with things to try so I am prepped for that day is good.
Do you have another system available, maybe even a friend's system, whereby you can take your TT and cartridge, then A/B using your Marantz receiver purely as a Phono preamp, meaning just take its "Tape Output", and then the MM-6 Line Out, and compare those two.

Do you have another system available, maybe even a friend's system, whereby you can take your TT and cartridge, then A/B using your Marantz receiver purely as a Phono preamp, meaning just take its "Tape Output", and then the MM-6 Line Out, and compare those two.
Man, I had a couple receivers laying around for quite some time including a pretty danged good NAD 3240PE. The Marantz was about consolidating and I did eventually sell off the other receivers. That other word, though, that started with an "F"... I don't know what those are. :LOL::cry:

I'll put my head to it, though. I think the thing about it is that this Marantz is what I am living with for the foreseeable future so I really need to get it work with that.

You are referring to the pair of inputs directly to the right (in the linked image) of the CD input I am currently using? What source am I selecting to hear this input? Otherwise I was looking into using the "Pure Direct" feature which ostensibly drops all processing which TBH might not be so great since I think I am leaning pretty strongly on some of the Room EQ/Phasing and such as my room is basically designed by an audiophobe.

Here's my available inputs per the remote:
Marantz.jpg
The section in red above is the 7.1. The way to choose that source is below:
Analog.JPG
While it may not apply all your EQ processing while on that input you still may be surprised at what you hear. You have nothing to lose at least 😁

Man, I had a couple receivers laying around for quite some time including a pretty danged good NAD 3240PE. The Marantz was about consolidating and I did eventually sell off the other receivers. That other word, though, that started with an "F"... I don't know what those are. :LOL::cry:

I'll put my head to it, though. I think the thing about it is that this Marantz is what I am living with for the foreseeable future so I really need to get it work with that.
Understood. And, it could end up being that for some reason, IF you need to use the A/D->DSP->D/A room processing etc, and therefore HAVE to digitize your phono inputs, that the more limited built-in phono preamp is better because it is rolling off details or because they "voiced" it to work together. But, operating as a "Pure Direct" mode either thru menu settings or via external preamp inputs is a valuable test. Good luck.

Equally the button at the very bottom right of your remote labelled “PURE” turns off the display, all video circuits and all audio processing so should provide just the direct 2ch feed from the input selected

View attachment 109608
The section in red above is the 7.1. The way to choose that source is below:
View attachment 109609
While it may not apply all your EQ processing while on that input you still may be surprised at what you hear. You have nothing to lose at least 😁
Alright, alright, alright. This definitely sounds a WHOLE lot better. I did a quick A/B and I think right now all I can say is I will have to do the things again on Wednesday. The MM-6 is at least as good as the Marantz and probably a little better; maybe even markedly better in some areas. I hadn't messed with the setting in so long it took me a minute but I basically just used my unused Blu-Ray input and had it use the 7.1ch input and it is miles ahead of whatever is happening on the CD input.

I'll probably pick a couple different records for Wednesday. I want a clean palate going in. On the Octo Octa though, it seemed like the MM-6 was bringing a fuller sound with a wider soundstage and towards the end of the track when it's really layered it was holding things apart very well. The keys sounded like proper keys. All the things missing in Happy Together came back and the mono switch still had some effect although I wouldn't call one better than the other. Again it felt like a little more gain on the ends of the spectrum.

Take all the previous critique as examples of how badly digital processing can destroy a sound, then!

I am looking forward to another test run through where there's some actual competition underway.

Alright, alright, alright. This definitely sounds a WHOLE lot better. I did a quick A/B and I think right now all I can say is I will have to do the things again on Wednesday. The MM-6 is at least as good as the Marantz and probably a little better; maybe even markedly better in some areas. I hadn't messed with the setting in so long it took me a minute but I basically just used my unused Blu-Ray input and had it use the 7.1ch input and it is miles ahead of whatever is happening on the CD input.

I'll probably pick a couple different records for Wednesday. I want a clean palate going in. On the Octo Octa though, it seemed like the MM-6 was bringing a fuller sound with a wider soundstage and towards the end of the track when it's really layered it was holding things apart very well. The keys sounded like proper keys. All the things missing in Happy Together came back and the mono switch still had some effect although I wouldn't call one better than the other. Again it felt like a little more gain on the ends of the spectrum.

Take all the previous critique as examples of how badly digital processing can destroy a sound, then!

I am looking forward to another test run through where there's some actual competition underway.
Did the weird distortion stay after you swapped out? I’m wondering if I have digital shenanigans in my input. There’s no bypass on my receiver though.

Did the weird distortion stay after you swapped out? I’m wondering if I have digital shenanigans in my input. There’s no bypass on my receiver though.
Yeah, I think it did. I basically just ran in there and gave it a try to see if the input swap was worth going farther with. I can get further with it on Wednesday and confirm 100%.

Put in some quality time today. 1st track was Dave Brubek Time Out's Take 5 (some 1960's pressing that incidentally is completely free of defects, perfectly flat, and quiet). I started on the MM-6 this time and just made notes of things I was really liking: Breathiness in the sax, various rattles in the drums, the clear dynamics in each channel (hard panning).

On the Marantz I paid attention to what I didn't like: sax seemed a little shrill, ride cymbal had some sibilance. There was distinctly less staging all around. the drums had less details. I felt like the toms did sound better and overall the whole thing felt more electric and live. I thought about the phono gain and turned this down in the receiver settings (it was pretty up there) and then volume matched again. That whole electric feeling was gone and was clearly the result of a hot gain setting. I feel like maybe the MM-6 could use a little bit of that, it's an aspect I really like.

Back to the MM-6 I can say with certainty the sax has more detail now and is less shrill. there's a reverb component where the sound bounces off their studio walls that was missing altogether on the Marantz. Cymbals were not sibilant, here. The piano sounded less monotonous. While the toms didn't have the punch the Marantz gave them they were clearly separate drum heads like i could hear their position in space.

Back to the Marantz one more time cause I want the next record to start there. The high sax has way less of that bell horn sound. the bass drops int he drums had less impact and separation between the components of the drums.

MM-6 wins overall here although I think it shows that the onboard Marantz phono is absolutely no slouch. If the MM-6 is a 10 the Marantz is every bit of a 9.

Next track is Dream Thrum from James' Laid album.

Here I start on the Marantz and make notes of the key points I want to focus on in the MM-6. the guitar drones at the start, the follow through sounds in the vocals, the string picking and scrape sounds, the punchiness and presence of the lead guitar, the separation of bass guitar from the drums, the vocal separation from the other instruments once the layering is in earnest, the overall density of the layers, and finally the bass extension.

On the MM-6 there is a clear win taking place almost across the board. The separation of the guitars that drone sounds far more like a duet instead of a singular drone sound. The vocals come way more forward and stand atop the music. The lead guitar was admittedly more laid back and a little less stinging, I preferred the Marantz presentation here. The bass guitar separation from the drums rose to a whole new level on the MM-6. I think on everything I've ever heard I perceived them as one and they were clearly separate today.

Onto the vocals in the layered portion of the track; they were more correctly integrated, they did not lose the sense that they were an extension of the music but did stand out better. The big difference was that the layered ending of the song felt way more like a build or culmination than just dense soundscape. This was an exciting aspect. This was a level of dynamics I was not getting at all from the Marantz.

The bass extension on the Marantz was just edging out the MM-6. It's not a huge knock but this track has a specific bass ending that was definitely hitting harder on the stock preamp.

I went ahead and just played the album through on the MM-6 but this time I turned the amp up to 90% which was verging on hearing loss, haha. My dog started panting and looking back and forth between me and the speakers and whens he realized I was intentionally doing this and it wasn't going to stop she went outside. I have never had this system this loud and it sounded damned good. I know I was well past any level I had taken the stock input and it's because that level would be quickly fatiguing there. That thing @krichard2496 was talking about with higher levels and fatigue was absolutely true. I won't deny scream singing and maybe even shedding a couple tears cause the album moves the shit out of me.

Final verdict is that the MM-6 is a distinct improvement over the stock Marantz input. I think I'd like just a tad more gain to get that kind of electric vibe back. I will likely buy a MM-6 in the not too distant future. I think applied over various types of music I'd continue to find improvements. The cost benefit ratio is appropriate considering the alternatives out there. Additionally, I see benefit to establishing a separate phono pre to divorce myself from relying on stock inputs since amps have high potential to come and go over the course of my life as opposed to the turntable which I hope to never feel the need to replace.

What did not happen was a night and day smack in the face that demanded a replacement phono pre right now so I could stop listening to subpar presentation ASAP. The stock Marantz phono is pretty damned good, maybe better than I was thinking it was. It's been a while since I critically listened to music A/B style and I really grew to appreciate what I have. I had upgraded a lot of things at once a couple years ago and I knew the then improvements were huge and it was nice to see I'm now fully in the territory of marginal improvements with what I'm currently using.

Why is the ground connector on the other side?

Well I’m already annoyed that ground connector is on the opposite side of where the turntable cables go in. I am unable to connect to it so I have a nice hum. I’m also annoyed that the cables come out like butter. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back