Criterion Club

Been cancelling my subs and getting back into buying (a very curated, small) collection of physical media after selling everything off years back.

Picked up Wall E, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Days of Heaven and Portrait of a Lady on Fire (3 in 4K, 1 in BR)
The 4K of McCabe is supposed to be spectacular. I have had the BR for years and it’s one of my faves

Thank god for the Flash Sales! Pretty much the only way I can afford Criterion releases anymore.

I picked up Trainspotting, GDT's Pinocchio, High and Low, Blue Velvet, and The Elephant Man.

I haven't seen any Altman at all(tman)! A blind spot for me
I’ve only seen Gosford Park (masterpiece) and A Prairie Home Companion (pretty good)
MASH was my introduction; its humor is certainly of its time but the trappings of a screwball comedy might make Altman's more...crowded and abstract...staging easier to digest. Love McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Long Goodbye is one of my favorite movies hands down (need to update my blu-ray; transfers vary in quality); Nashville is the goat, but dense as hell.

MASH was my introduction; its humor is certainly of its time but the trappings of a screwball comedy might make Altman's more...crowded and abstract...staging easier to digest. Love McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Long Goodbye is one of my favorite movies hands down (need to update my blu-ray; transfers vary in quality); Nashville is the goat, but dense as hell.
Nashville is my number 1, but it’s definitely his most dense and not as approachable as the Player or California Split. I really like MASH but agreed that some of it has not aged well and I understand why that can be off putting to some. But he’s one of a kind and I’ll keep buying his criterion’s if they keep putting them out

I need to watch more Altman, but it's a deep well.

I haven't seen any Altman at all(tman)! A blind spot for me

I’ve only seen Gosford Park (masterpiece) and A Prairie Home Companion (pretty good)

I think the stuff in the collection is a great place to start, along with California Split and the Long Goodbye

Nashville is my number 1, but it’s definitely his most dense and not as approachable as the Player or California Split. I really like MASH but agreed that some of it has not aged well and I understand why that can be off putting to some. But he’s one of a kind and I’ll keep buying his criterion’s if they keep putting them out
Altman is one of my favorite directors, although I have not seen all of his films. I bought McCabe & Mrs Miller blind a couple years ago, and while I know I’m in the minority, I really didn’t not care for it, not sure why. I do particularly love Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, Long Goodbye, but what I think is my favorite of his is 3 Women.

Altman is one of my favorite directors, although I have not seen all of his films. I bought McCabe & Mrs Miller blind a couple years ago, and while I know I’m in the minority, I really didn’t not care for it, not sure why. I do particularly love Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, Long Goodbye, but what I think is my favorite of his is 3 Women.
3 Women!!! I can't believe I haven't mentioned 3 Women. I'm holding off the sale this time, but if I weren't, I'd be going with All That Jazz and 3 Women.

I am not getting any order confirmations for some reason but here's my damage:

The Adventures Of Baron Munchhausen 4K
Three Colors Trilogy 4K (Upgrade from CC Blu-Ray)
The Others 4K
Blast Of Silence
Night Of The Living Dead 4K (Upgrade from CC Blu-Ray, downgrade from packaging)
Cure
Devi
After Life
History Is Made At Night
The Lady Eve (Upgrade from CC DVD)
Taste Of Cherry
The Cranes Are Flying
Fail Safe
A Face In The Crowd
A Story From Chikamatsu
My Man Godfrey
Personal Shopper
The Piano Teacher
Death By Hanging
The Vanishing
La Cage Aux Folles
The Quatsi Trilogy
Senso
Lost In America
The Bad Sleep Well DVD

The Others 4K
Blast Of Silence
Cure
Devi
After Life
History Is Made At Night
Taste Of Cherry
The Cranes Are Flying
Fail Safe
A Face In The Crowd
A Story From Chikamatsu
My Man Godfrey
Personal Shopper
The Piano Teacher
Death By Hanging
The Vanishing
La Cage Aux Folles
The Quatsi Trilogy
Senso
Lost In America
The Bad Sleep Well DVD
sweet-jesus-star-trek.gif

The Others 4K
Blast Of Silence
Cure
Devi
After Life
History Is Made At Night
Taste Of Cherry
The Cranes Are Flying
Fail Safe
A Face In The Crowd
A Story From Chikamatsu
My Man Godfrey
Personal Shopper
The Piano Teacher
Death By Hanging
The Vanishing
La Cage Aux Folles
The Quatsi Trilogy
Senso
Lost In America
The Bad Sleep Well DVD

Jesus! and I was waffling on like 4 movies... lol

Decided to grab Notorious, Rebecca, Punch Drunk Love, and Dr Strangelove
I have Notorious & Rebecca on DVD from the Criterion Wrong men & Notorious Women boxset but wanted to upgrade to Blu-Ray.
I found a 10 dollars off coupon in my email also so that was sweet.

I also have 39 Steps & The Lady Vanishes... whats up with Spellbound Reissue??? Once they release that I'll sell my box (which has the 5 I mentioned)

Last edited:
Pretty frustrating that I can’t seem to find most of Park Chan Wook’s movies on physical media in the US. Happy the Oldboy is on Netflix but I couldn’t find it for forever and it seems like there is only a $75 release

Pretty frustrating that I can’t seem to find most of Park Chan Wook’s movies on physical media in the US. Happy the Oldboy is on Netflix but I couldn’t find it for forever and it seems like there is only a $75 release
I snagged @The Denmarkian Wonder's copy of Oldboy and imported a UK copy of Lady Vengeance so...I feel you.

I snagged @The Denmarkian Wonder's copy of Oldboy and imported a UK copy of Lady Vengeance so...I feel you.
The remaster was distributed by Neon last year, it's perfectly ripe for a Criterion release.

Back