Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

I'm gonna move this conversation here from the new music thread. @avecigrec
I was always gonna give Brittney Spencer a couple more listens because I just don't know what to make of it. That being said, I will give it a more dedicated listen at some point as this article made me think about leaving some of my biases at the door:

That being said there is a certain trend in country as a genre that I'm not great with... there are full on pop albums being called country because a "country" artist made them. Then there are artists who get called rock (Jason Isbell) or americana (Tyler Childers) because the Nashville machine doesn't acknowledge them.

What is interesting here, to me, and makes me want to try listening to Spencer without my own biases (in as much as that is even possible), is that Guyton was encouraged not to make music that was too far from what Nashville wants because well, probably, because racism. Which makes me question my thoughts on why Spencer's album seems weird to me. I'm completely fine with artists doing what they want, I think it is the way. But the need to pigeonhole things is a bit of a thing with me. Why can't it just be music. I would probably not have been taken aback by Spencer's album - if I wasn't expecting a country album....

Like would Rhiannon's album last year have been a home run with out multiple listens if I wasn't expecting something else? I believe I may have even said it felt like she was trying to get airplay. I need to check things like that, given her label, given her track record, given the wide berth she has given her music to date, who I am to question her motives? It was a more pleasing listen after the initial shock wore off though.

I do like from time to listen to something and go "what the hell is even going on" and sometimes that can be stuff that I end up really loving.

I'm gonna move this conversation here from the new music thread. @avecigrec
I was always gonna give Brittney Spencer a couple more listens because I just don't know what to make of it. That being said, I will give it a more dedicated listen at some point as this article made me think about leaving some of my biases at the door:

That being said there is a certain trend in country as a genre that I'm not great with... there are full on pop albums being called country because a "country" artist made them. Then there are artists who get called rock (Jason Isbell) or americana (Tyler Childers) because the Nashville machine doesn't acknowledge them.

What is interesting here, to me, and makes me want to try listening to Spencer without my own biases (in as much as that is even possible), is that Guyton was encouraged not to make music that was too far from what Nashville wants because well, probably, because racism. Which makes me question my thoughts on why Spencer's album seems weird to me. I'm completely fine with artists doing what they want, I think it is the way. But the need to pigeonhole things is a bit of a thing with me. Why can't it just be music. I would probably not have been taken aback by Spencer's album - if I wasn't expecting a country album....

Like would Rhiannon's album last year have been a home run with out multiple listens if I wasn't expecting something else? I believe I may have even said it felt like she was trying to get airplay. I need to check things like that, given her label, given her track record, given the wide berth she has given her music to date, who I am to question her motives? It was a more pleasing listen after the initial shock wore off though.

I do like from time to listen to something and go "what the hell is even going on" and sometimes that can be stuff that I end up really loving.
I think a lot of women in the "traditional country /Americana" space have recognized that radio won't play them and so they are branching out beyond the genre. However, they still get categorized as Americana. Includes Margo Price, Amanda Shires, Maren Morris, etc.

Went and saw the Cactus Blossoms on Saturday night. That was a fun band I wasn’t super familiar with. As much as I hate genres, my best cut at it would be Bakersfield-via-Texas with a hefty dose of power pop and 50s-60s retro and just the lightest touch of rockabilly. Great harmonies from the front two and the hidden gem was the guitarist they had parked in back.

This Max ne interesting fit some. Nee Boom with 4cd roots müßig Box set

This Max ne interesting fit some. Nee Boom with 4cd roots müßig Box set
This is such an interesting set. Wish they’d have had at least a short run of vinyl pressings on this one, but it probably would have been priced out of the market for number of records.

Heading out to see Jaime Wyatt tonight. Last time I saw her with Nikki Lane, and she didn’t disappoint. This time it’s in a 250-seat venue, really looking forward to it.

I saw her a couple weeks ago, but she unfortunately caught a cold a couple days before & had to gut her way through the set. I could tell something was up before she said anything because her voice wasn't up to par, though it still shone a little later in the set. Her band is fantastic.

Though she added some Memphis soul & it's no longer full-on outlaw country, I was surprised the new album didn't end up getting cited on more end-of-year lists.

I saw her a couple weeks ago, but she unfortunately caught a cold a couple days before & had to gut her way through the set. I could tell something was up before she said anything because her voice wasn't up to par, though it still shone a little later in the set. Her band is fantastic.

Though she added some Memphis soul & it's no longer full-on outlaw country, I was surprised the new album didn't end up getting cited on more end-of-year lists.
She even mentioned the flu she had, said she’s feeling way better (and sounded like it). Lots of good energy and plenty of charm. A really solid show that ended with a cover of the Stones’ “Wild Horses.” Great way to spend a Sunday night with 100 random strangers.

Back