Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

This may have been posted before, but I've been obsessed with her new album. She's getting a bit of radio play too, and I'm so excited for her!

i heard her on the Spotify Indigo playlist last week and immediately listened to her new record. You are right, It’s really good. Looks like the vinyl is delayed until April but I’ve been thinking about ordering it.

i heard her on the Spotify Indigo playlist last week and immediately listened to her new record. You are right, It’s really good. Looks like the vinyl is delayed until April but I’ve been thinking about ordering it.
Shipping is stupidly expensive. I went to order it the other day and for me it was like $12. That's the thing holding me back from buying a copy. I don't have much expendable income and even though I want to support artists, I'm not willing to pay that much in shipping for a single album.

Shipping is stupidly expensive. I went to order it the other day and for me it was like $12. That's the thing holding me back from buying a copy. I don't have much expendable income and even though I want to support artists, I'm not willing to pay that much in shipping for a single album.
You’d have to think it’s going to be widely available. If I find it cheaper, I’ll tag you.

I've been down a big bluegrass rabbit hole the past few weeks.
This is really crappy footage, but man, what a group of true legends. Merlefest some time in the 90's.

Blurb from the video:
Mark O'Connor violin, Tony Rice guitar, Jerry Douglas dobro, Sam Bush mandolin, Mark Schatz bass and Bela Fleck banjo. Merlefest early 1990's. “Have you heard any of the stuff that was done by the group of myself and Sam, and Bela and Flux, and Mark O’Connor? Have you heard any of that stuff? It was back at MerleFest, there’s quite a bit of footage of us playing live. There’s tunes like Freeborn Man and Nine Pound Hammer, were - you talk about an ensemble. And uh – I don’t know – Mark O’Connor playing that bluegrass fiddle like that was just absolutely mind-blowing. I’ll go and get on my computer and listen to that stuff and listen to him paying the solos in Freeborn Man and Nine Pound Hammer – listen to Jerry Douglas’s solos and I think Jesus, this is just amazing shit.” –Tony Rice (taken from “A Conversation with Tony Rice directed by Jan Johansson, in 2019)

I've been down a big bluegrass rabbit hole the past few weeks.
This is really crappy footage, but man, what a group of true legends. Merlefest some time in the 90's.

Blurb from the video:
Mark O'Connor violin, Tony Rice guitar, Jerry Douglas dobro, Sam Bush mandolin, Mark Schatz bass and Bela Fleck banjo. Merlefest early 1990's. “Have you heard any of the stuff that was done by the group of myself and Sam, and Bela and Flux, and Mark O’Connor? Have you heard any of that stuff? It was back at MerleFest, there’s quite a bit of footage of us playing live. There’s tunes like Freeborn Man and Nine Pound Hammer, were - you talk about an ensemble. And uh – I don’t know – Mark O’Connor playing that bluegrass fiddle like that was just absolutely mind-blowing. I’ll go and get on my computer and listen to that stuff and listen to him paying the solos in Freeborn Man and Nine Pound Hammer – listen to Jerry Douglas’s solos and I think Jesus, this is just amazing shit.” –Tony Rice (taken from “A Conversation with Tony Rice directed by Jan Johansson, in 2019)

Merlefest is always a blast and the N. Wilkesboro locale is in my backyard. When concert normalcy returns, everybody should come down for one.

What has become one of the most fun recurring installments of Merlefest is The Waybacks' Hillside Album Hour. Each year The Waybacks and special guests perform an album in it's entirety with their own unique twist. They give clues leading up to the show but never announce what it's going to be. You just gotta show up and find out.

Here's a clip from a few years ago. The intro is fun but about 4 minutes long if you want to skip to the musical reveal.

Have any of you all ever checked out Mac Leaphart?

I know very little, but my brother (who is too lazy to sign up to post himself) just clued me in to him. From what I've heard, he's got a mix of twang and southern rock with some tracks being more country than others. I dig what I've heard so far, and somehow his latest youtube video only has 281 views.

Back