Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

Anyone else mildly torturing themselves and watching the ACMs tonight?

Oh I am. Honestly the CMAs and ACMs are always worth it for the performances. The awards themselves make me cringe (and thats as a fan of alot of mainstream country) but luckily they are almost an afterthought to the performance. And these stripped back Covid era performances honestly fit the genre so well

Oh I am. Honestly the CMAs and ACMs are always worth it for the performances. The awards themselves make me cringe (and thats as a fan of alot of mainstream country) but luckily they are almost an afterthought to the performance. And these stripped back Covid era performances honestly fit the genre so well
I don't agree with a lot of the winners from last night (Luke Bryan??? No thanks. And Carly Pearce should have won against Maren Morris), but the performances really were top notch. I was really happy to see Alan performing. Stapleton knocked it out of the park as per usual. And I really liked the 3rd song Miranda Lambert did last night.

I don't agree with a lot of the winners from last night (Luke Bryan??? No thanks. And Carly Pearce should have won against Maren Morris), but the performances really were top notch. I was really happy to see Alan performing. Stapleton knocked it out of the park as per usual. And I really liked the 3rd song Miranda Lambert did last night.

Completely agree. And Dierks Bentley doing that Bluegrass cover of U2 with War & Treaty was incredible

I never think of it that way because I listened mostly on a CD and don’t see the stats, but that Carly Pearce album was probably my most listened country album of the last year.
I am watching them tonight!

Does Mandolin Orange changing their name make sense to anyone else?
Well it obviously makes sense to them. Their explanation made it sound like they felt constrained by their name, so they changed it to something they're more comfortable with moving forward. Maybe the significance of 'Watchhouse' will become clearer with their new album.

I bet we see it in the music a bit. Mandolin Orange does give off a rather specific vibe given the genres/music that Mandolins are prominent in, presuming we see some sort of shift. We'll see.

The new song definitely has a more electric feel to it.

They also appear to be on Thirty Tigers now.

There is a song on Fable & Fire named “Farewell to Holly Bluff/ The Watch House”

I bet we see it in the music a bit. Mandolin Orange does give off a rather specific vibe given the genres/music that Mandolins are prominent in, presuming we see some sort of shift. We'll see.
Maybe a marketing deptartment focus group somewhere said the name created expectations of a bluegrass jam band and that didn't represent their musical vision? Maybe concerns that the name was a pun so they might not be respected as serious, introspective musical artists?

Maybe a marketing deptartment focus group somewhere said the name created expectations of a bluegrass jam band and that didn't represent their musical vision? Maybe concerns that the name was a pun so they might not be respected as serious, introspective musical artists?
I never once thought about it being a pun till you said something. They’re from Chapel Hill, NC in Orange County.... they have a Mandolin.

It’s weird. I have watched this band blow up a bit. I discovered them in 2014. I had read an article about The Avetts being the tip of a roots oriented music movement in the state. Bombadil and Mandolin were both mentioned in the article. I stumbled upon a copy of Bombadil’ ep and Haste Make in a used book store not too long after that and have gobbled up everything by both bands. So it’s just a little bit of shock in the name thing.

The more I listen to this song, the more I love it. They said they have a lot more songs coming on Instagram today, so I am hoping a new album annoucement is imminent.
Yeah, I love it too. At the end of the video there is the date “5-20-21.” I imagine we get at least an announcement then.

I also kind of get how a song like that would cause them to think that their band name might hold them back.

Back