Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

So what do you think of the no depression quaterly. Looks appealing, but i would have to sub for a year, otherwise shipping is prohibitive. Any opinions in the recent issues?
I read the online version quite frequently and would be interested to know what folks think about the print version.

Reactions: Jan
I’m very excited about this:
In my excitement for the box, I had not read the full article and this is a kick off for the fiftieth anniversary of Rounder! I hope we get a Krauss box because I don’t have Any of the rounder stuff on vinyl

Country music icon Loretta Lynn didn't pull punches when discussing the state of her beloved genre in a new interview.

"I think it's dead," Lynn said during an episode of Martina McBride's "Vocal Point" podcast,released Thursday. "I think it’s a shame. I think it’s a shame to let a type of music die. I don’t care what any kind of music it is. Rock, country, whatever. I think it’s a shame to let it die, and I’m here to start feeding it."

'It’s a shame to let it die': Loretta Lynn shares her frustration with country music

New Jesse Daniel, also available on Bullmoose. Pretty pumped for this. His self-titled is great.

I read the online version quite frequently and would be interested to know what folks think about the print version.
I was a subscriber back in the day before they disappeared then went digital. I don’t subscribe, but I’ve ordered a few of the quarterlies individually. They’re nice quality production - as good or nicer than some design mags I’ve read, well-designed and the content is as good as ever. I really like that they’ve gone to the themed, ad-free quarterly format.

Not sure it's been posted, but the Joe Pug podcast "The Working Songwriter" is pretty great. So far listened to the Nicole Atkins, Langhorne Slim and Strand of Oaks reverse interviewing Joe. They're all solid and have all had a great story in their relationships that put them where they are. Give it a shot. A ton of country/alt-country/americana artists interviewed.

New "supergroup" Bonny Light Horseman (Anais Mitchell, Josh Kaufman, Fruit Bats) has a lead single out featuring Aaron Dessner. MC Taylor of Hiss Golden Messenger tweeted that it's the best song he's heard in 2019 (which is what caught my attention):

I like it. Sort of amazing that Mitchell is hitching her horse to this wagon after the year she's had. They're doing a bit of touring over the next few months, gonna try to catch them when they come through Indy in September.

Album just released on 1/24 - Found out about it through Kathleen Edwards twitter feed, been listening to it quite a bit, and just ordered the vinyl. Deep in Love is so easy to get lost in.

Back