Cocktails

A bit of a cross-post from the Nom Nom Food thread but long story short I’m making a different cocktail every night this week when my wife gets home from work (okay I’m having one before she gets home, but that’s just because I’ve never made these particular drinks before and I need to make sure it’s fit for a queen). Tonight was watermelon margs.
E9161EDC-16F9-4170-AD1B-C11E4AC58D60.jpeg

Like a lot of people (I’m sure) I’ve upped my cocktail game considerably over the last couple of months - but while some of it is due to filling some gaps in my bar stock and tools, there is one tool in particular that’s taken me to the next level:

For some dumb reason, it took me until I was 38 years old before I started actually measuring out the ingredients in my goddamned cocktails. I think a lot of it has to do with the NYC bar culture that I learned to drink in - the bartenders at the places I liked never bothered with jiggers, and I associated measuring out liquor with clubs and other joints where the owners were trying to make sure the tenders weren’t overpouring into Jack & Cokes.

I could make a few decent drinks before, but now that I’m actually approaching the preparation of my drinks the way I do the rest of my food a whole new world is opening up. Measure the ingredients in your drinks people.

I’ve been playing around with a boozy cherry coke idea and think I finally hit on a good recipe - here’s my Cher-rye Coke:

78F18D64-33B2-47D8-9588-E68661B70BBA.jpeg
8AABADCC-5F23-4AF7-9CCB-1E4726452B05.jpeg
1.5 oz rye, .5 oz luxardo, 2 dash bitters, small spoonful of cherry juice from luxardo maraschino cherry jar. Stir w ice, top w coke and a cherry. Not too sweet nor too boozy!

Back