Books about music

This one looks real good.
Print The Myth, Joe Strummer Portraits 1981-2001
1645023352681.png

Last edited:
I never knew this thread existed. There're some great recommendations here.

Dilla Time came highly recommended by a friend and just showed up yesterday. I have a large stack of books right now, but this will probably leapfrog all of them... I've got some reading to do.

1645023901351.png

So, uh, this is a video with a guy who writes books about music. So, a bit meta-meta-meta ? but anyway. Here's Rick Beato in conversation with Ted Gioja, whose history of jazz book is a stone cold classic and if you are kinda curious to read about jazz, should probably be your starting point.

Wife took me to one of my favourite used bookstores for some Father's Day browsing and I managed to dig up these fine tomes. I'm really stoked on the Cage - I've never found any of his stuff in the wild before today!

20220619_151453.jpg

81Tjd4V36YL.jpg

From Grammy-winning musical icon and legendary bassist Victor L. Wooten comes The Music Lesson, the story of a struggling young musician who wanted music to be his life, and who wanted his life to be great. Then, from nowhere it seemed, a teacher arrived. Part musical genius, part philosopher, part eccentric wise man, the teacher would guide the young musician on a spiritual journey, and teach him that the gifts we get from music mirror those from life, and every movement, phrase, and chord has its own meaning...all you have to do is find the song inside.

81Tjd4V36YL.jpg

From Grammy-winning musical icon and legendary bassist Victor L. Wooten comes The Music Lesson, the story of a struggling young musician who wanted music to be his life, and who wanted his life to be great. Then, from nowhere it seemed, a teacher arrived. Part musical genius, part philosopher, part eccentric wise man, the teacher would guide the young musician on a spiritual journey, and teach him that the gifts we get from music mirror those from life, and every movement, phrase, and chord has its own meaning...all you have to do is find the song inside.
I picked this up and meh. It's good but kind of over the top in a newagey kind of way. I appreciate that it's not a bunch of exercises and is more philosophical. It's definitely at home next to Carlos Castaneda or the Celestine prophecy or something.

Not sure if there are any UK members who haunt this thread but worth a shot. I am looking for this book. It was first published in a limited run in 2017 I think and then another printing in 2020. But it seems that physical copies have all but disappeared. If you frequent used book stores or boot sales, can you please keep an eye open for it. I will gladly pay you for it (hopefully less that 20UKP) and pay for shipping.
Amazon product ASIN B089B5XQJR

Not sure if there are any UK members who haunt this thread but worth a shot. I am looking for this book. It was first published in a limited run in 2017 I think and then another printing in 2020. But it seems that physical copies have all but disappeared. If you frequent used book stores or boot sales, can you please keep an eye open for it. I will gladly pay you for it (hopefully less that 20UKP) and pay for shipping.
Amazon product ASIN B089B5XQJR
I’ll try and remember to keep an eye out.

I've got a couple of things out from the library I'll have to finish before I get to it, but this was waiting in the mailbox when I got home from my trip a couple of days ago:

20220901_195303.jpg

@Selaws This seems like something you'd be interested in if you can track it down. I definitely spent more than I probably should have on this copy, but I'm wicked stoked for it!

I've listened to Honky Tonk Heroes so much that I decided I needed to read up on Waylon. I am currently reading his autobiography.

Finally stumbled into this thread....and I'm jotting down some recos for sure.

Here's a few I've read in the past year or so:
Paul Simon - The Life - I found this to be fantastic. Robert Hilburn spent a lot of time with Paul and it's thorough and also personal feeling. I buzzed through this pretty quick. Highly recommended if you're a Paul Simon fan.

This Wheel's on Fire - Levon Helm - It's been out for quite awhile, but I finally got to it. I liked it quite a bit.

Remain in Love - Chris Frantz - I can't say I liked this much. His disdain for Byrne comes out fairly often.

Inside Out: A personal History of Pink Floyd - Nick Mason - Another one I can't recommend. A bit boring and very polite.

Hard to Handle - The Life and Death of the Black Crows - Steve Gorman - Yep, it's a tell-all so the brothers didn't like it much, but I did.

Beneath the Underdog - Charles Mingus - This is just bizarre. The stories he tells, I was floored. And honestly, I could have handled more writing about his music.

I already put Low Side of the Road in my Amazon cart after reading @Selaws post.

Back