Books about music

20210610_125546.jpg
Of half a dozen books headed to our place right now, all but one of which are from the same seller, this one shipped most recently but arrived first. Being that it's the one I'm most excited about, I'm okay with that. Now I just have to decide whether I'm putting Barney Hoskyns' Tom Waits biography on pause or waiting until I finish that before I start this.

Who are we kidding? I will definitely be jumping right into this!

I just picked this up from amazon warehouse, this might be of more interest to the guitarists (and hardcore Joni fans), but it's a great book and well worth the price (i got it for 40ish, but retails between 50-65)

joni_complete.jpg

It's a hardcover which is kind of annoying but it is pretty hefty and it does help keep it open to certain pages.

If you've ever tried to play some Joni tunes, this is worth the price of admission alone: a tuning index -- and even some of the "normal" nonstandard tunings are a little weird (e.g. "spanish tuning" -- viz "open G" tuning done as GGDGBD instead of the slightly-more-common Keith Richards version of DGDGBD (well Keef does a 5 string, xGDGBD)

joni_complete_tunings.jpg

I haven't been reading as voraciously over the past month or three as I was through the first half of the year, but I'm looking forward to digging into this!

View attachment 111022
This has been on my list for a while, let us know how it is!

I just finished Ted Gioia's 'How To Listen To Jazz' which was really good and im now moving onto this. Really interesting topic and I believe it was out of print for a while (I couldn't find one anyway) but a London book shop had one in stock.

IMG_6995.JPG

I juuuust got that Ted Gioia hope to listen to jazz a week ago, haven't had a chance to Crack it open myself yet
It’s super easy to read and hard to put down. I’ve read quite a few of Ted Gioia’s books and really enjoy his writing style. This one is much more personal than the others and really gives an insight into how he personally approaches analysing jazz. I’m sure you will enjoy it!

It’s super easy to read and hard to put down. I’ve read quite a few of Ted Gioia’s books and really enjoy his writing style. This one is much more personal than the others and really gives an insight into how he personally approaches analysing jazz. I’m sure you will enjoy it!

I haven't read any Gioia yet but I've heard great things from people whose opinions I've come to value, including yours. I feel like I've seen you speak well of him before around these parts. I'll have to add this one to my ever-growing list!

Just remembered this one hits the shelves next week:

deusner_7027_f21_c.jpg

I might have to blast through it real quick before I get to Blutopia, which I expect to be the denser read of the two.

I haven't read any Gioia yet but I've heard great things from people whose opinions I've come to value, including yours. I feel like I've seen you speak well of him before around these parts. I'll have to add this one to my ever-growing list!
His "history of jazz" is basically the first stop for anyone vaguely interested in the subject

His "history of jazz" is basically the first stop for anyone vaguely interested in the subject
I would say that it's pretty heavy though. He really digs deep into the genre and it's quite a lengthy book with very few photos (I believe there is a single portrait shot per chapter?). There are probably others that are an easier step into the genre imo.

The 'How To Listen To Jazz' starts off feeling quite technical orientated but then goes on to having mini-biographies and anecdotal stories. I wish I had read that book back when I first started listening to jazz.

Back