Blues, Funk and Soul - the holy trinity

haha! No, these aren’t freshies, just part of my collection built up over time. Lol, I’m fairly certain I’d be looking at D.I.V.O.R.C.E. if I’d landed all these in one go!
Well for the sake of your marriage, thank god, lol. When you posted the link in Fresh Grabs I just assumed you didn't want to double post...........but the "Holy Hanna" still stands ;)

In my own account, you might want to give Muddy What? a listen:
www.muddywhat.de

Here's their YouTube channel:

And here you can order their new album on vinyl:
In reference to post number 105125, here are some recent live videos we did back when live music was still possible.
Hopefully you enjoy them. 😘

A few more will follow in the next days and the album is in the making.

And if y'all would like to do me a huge favour:
Muddy What? is nominated for the German Blues Challenge - if you’d like to vote, you can follow this link:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fvoting.blues-baltica.de
You'll just have to register and vote for them - no need to fill out the while form.

If they win the challenge, they could be going to the International Blues Challenge in Memphis (Tennessee) - and maybe tour a few places in the US and say thank you personally. 🥰

I'm always on the lookout for new blues players. Ted Gioia tweeted about Cristina Vane last week after she released a new album via Bandcamp. I dig it! I'm waiting for Bandcamp to do another one of those "all proceeds to the artist" days and I'll probably pick up all her other releases too.

I recently came across funkmysoul.gr and love it! Anyone else visit this site? They do short reviews of old funk and soul albums weekly(ish) and it's introduced me to a ton of new stuff. The website isn't the best and the writing may not be the best either but I think a lot of you would enjoy it. They have two sections: Latest Albums with Reviews and Latest Albums without Reviews, but each of them have write-ups on the album so I'm honestly not too sure what the difference is haha Anyway, if you like old funk and soul I think it's worth checking out!

Last edited:
Great thread, hadn't noticed it before. I've always had a soft spot for Dirtbombs ~ Ultraglide in Black. Garage R&B / Soul, just went and ordered a copy of discogs. Look forward to digging into the other recommendations on here.

Blues fans,

I'm looking for some "fuck you up" guitar playing in the ream of SRV, Hendrix, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Joe Bonamassa. HOT playing.

Who you got?

Reactions: Tyr
Here's an absolutely essential watch for everyone. It's great if you're into the delta blues or if you're not. Sadly, all these guys are now gone.

Rated infinity stars...

One of the artists featured in this film is T-Model Ford. I was lucky enough to strike up a friendship with T-Model in the 2000's. He let me tape his shows when he came through and was so friendly and gracious.

One of my most prized possessions is a show handbill that T-Model signed for me. It's incredibly special because T-Model never learned to read or write, but he thought enough of our friendship to do that for me.

Watching T-Model sign his name was borderline excruciating. It was someone totally trying to replicate an image pulled from memory. Think if you were asked to draw a picture of a chicken. You'd do it deliberately, methodically, drawing on your stored image of a chicken. That's how T-Model signed his name.

Thanks for everything T. Miss you, brother.

Here's a clip from one of the shows and here's the signed handball.

20210126_225538.jpg

Back