Blues, Funk and Soul - the holy trinity

I’m sure your familiar with Daptone... the other premiere modern soul label in my opinion.
I am, I find Daptone to be more Soul oriented and Colemine more Funk oriented, which is great. I do try to greatly limit the amount of Daptone releases I listen to as I can't afford to add another label I buy a lot of stuff from at this time

I am, I find Daptone to be more Soul oriented and Colemine more Funk oriented, which is great. I do try to greatly limit the amount of Daptone releases I listen to as I can't afford to add another label I buy a lot of stuff from at this time
There is a way you could excise a great deal of your vinyl spending.

#breakthechain

Colemine reminds me of the old Soul Fire label, but with better sounding records.

Soul Fire & Daptone both came out from the ashes of Desco, if I remember correctly. Soul Fire was more raw funk while Daptone essentially started with Sharon Jones. I think Soul Fire lasted only a few years. Still have several of their 45s and they're great.

Colemine reminds me of the old Soul Fire label, but with better sounding records.

Soul Fire & Daptone both came out from the ashes of Desco, if I remember correctly. Soul Fire was more raw funk while Daptone essentially started with Sharon Jones. I think Soul Fire lasted only a few years. Still have several of their 45s and they're great.
Huh... soul fire basically became Truth and Soul, looks like Big Crown, Daptone and Colemine have most of their stuff now. In fact, the Bob & Gene release is the last thing they did in 2017 through Daptone.

Huh... soul fire basically became Truth and Soul, looks like Big Crown, Daptone and Colemine have most of their stuff now. In fact, the Bob & Gene release is the last thing they did in 2017 through Daptone.

Yep, that's right (but it was not exactly the same label heads if I recall - one of the Soul Fire guys left and the others started a new label). I think the Soul Fire CD compilation came out on Truth & Soul. Daptone reissued the Daktaris (Desco). The Whitefield Brothers was reissued by one of those guys too.

I have this fun Lp from Desco called "The Revenge of Mr Mopoji" - basically a fake 70s soundtrack and there's nothing on the release to make you think it was modern at the time (1997?). I'll take a photo when I get home. This record was basically recorded by The Dap Kings before they were The Dap Kings.

But I didn't realise Colemine actually picked up some of their stuff too though. No wonder I was immediately drawn in when I first heard the Soul Slabs. Though Colemine sounds better and is more varied, which I really love.

I went for a long run today and played the Soul Slabs Vol.2 in my iPod - yep, I'm old(school).
I never enjoyed running as much as today, with a truly kick ass soundtrack.

I think I reached song 20 (it was a long run!) and my favorite are:
A1-The Gripsweats
A2-Kelly Finnigan
A4-AJ and the Jiggawatts
B1-DeRobert and the half-truths
B3- Orgone
C1-Durand Jones & the Indicators
C2-The True Loves

and from my Disc 3 (E-F) played last night...
E3-Soul Scratch
F1-Ben Pirani
F2-The Freedom Affair
F5-The Rugged Nuggets --> this is by far my winner, a fantastic instrumental so chill that I played it several times in a raw without a hint of boredom!

Been falling down the Colemine hole in the ground like everyone else recently. While listening to Kelly Finnigan ( i mean just how great is that?), Evoking memories of Marc Broussard. His new live album (no vinyl unfortunately) has had me in bits tonight.

It’s bloody wonderful, especially if you ever loved his music at any time before.

NPR - All song considered has the latest Seratones in their latest episode playlist.

oh man, that's for sure going to be added to my pre-order list.
(now I'm going to see where this is for pre-order...)

<edit: found it on rough trade UK for 17.99 GBP - available also through bandcamp but shipping to EU is crazy/ 20USD>
<edit 2: added album cover pic>

Last edited:
NPR - All song considered has the latest Seratones in their latest episode playlist.

View attachment 5957
oh man, that's for sure going to be added to my pre-order list.
(now I'm going to see where this is for pre-order...)

<edit: found it on rough trade UK for 17.99 GBP - available also through bandcamp but shipping to EU is crazy/ 20USD>
<edit 2: added album cover pic>
Cool, thanks for posting. Adding this one to the list.

Now if they would just press Christone Ingram's album I'd be happy!

Anybody got any Charley Patton on vinyl? I've found a copy of the Founder of the Delta Blues compilation but then saw Third Man put out his complete recordings over 4 LPs. Just wondering if anybody has either and any thoughts on them (I realise sound quality is pretty poor)

Anybody got any Charley Patton on vinyl? I've found a copy of the Founder of the Delta Blues compilation but then saw Third Man put out his complete recordings over 4 LPs. Just wondering if anybody has either and any thoughts on them (I realise sound quality is pretty poor)
I feel like someone at the old place mentioned having this, but I can't remember who. I do think that person said that the pressing itself was good, but the quality of the actual recording was not so keep that in mind.

Back