Blues, Funk and Soul - the holy trinity

panino

Amigos,
I feel the need of a standalone thread for the musical holy trinity of Blues, Funk and Soul.
and here it is.

I'm no expert, and as such I'd like to know more from the more knowledgeable people of N&G.
More about the recent trends, the old guys and even the world music influences.

and there's even room to discuss documentaries, movies and books, all covering these 3 amazing musical genres!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

My kind of thread, so who has some old blues 78's they want to send me, jk (not really unless you do have some)
besides Colemine who else is putting out new funk
I’d be curious in some new Funk too. More Colemine’s speed, I’m sure your familiar with Daptone... the other premiere modern soul label in my opinion.

If you dig that Peebles VMP exclusive, you should check out Don Bryant’s solo album from a couple years ago. It’s quite good.

Big Crown home of Lee Fields is worth a look too.

So with all the Budos Band love here... V is my first album by them. I’ve never really given their older stuff a dedicated listen... is it a departure for them because I have a hard time classifying it as soul... it could be funk I guess, but it has a more garage rock vibe to it for me and maybe that’s why it is funk?

Also, because I can’t say this enough, if you like Budos Band, you owe it to yourself to check out Throttle Elevator Music, a Band which features Kamasi Washington on sax.

Soooo, New funk you say :)

How new are we talking? I've been into funk for a long time, and there was a resurgence of stuff from about 10 years back, lots of it coming out of melbourne, but also quite a bit from the UK and Japan.

If you want more modern recommendations, I'm happy to push some stuff from the last decade

Soooo, New funk you say :)

How new are we talking? I've been into funk for a long time, and there was a resurgence of stuff from about 10 years back, lots of it coming out of melbourne, but also quite a bit from the UK and Japan.

If you want more modern recommendations, I'm happy to push some stuff from the last decade
giphy.gif

shoot those names!

My kind of thread, so who has some old blues 78's they want to send me, jk (not really unless you do have some)
besides Colemine who else is putting out new funk

Daptone as @Lee Newman said, you may also want to keep an eye on Record Kicks, it's an Italian label.

On a similar tip to Skalap on this (I knew they had exceptional taste :) )

Gotta Leave the Lady Alone has never failed to smash dancefloors when dropped at the right time

A bit more soul/funk - All My Love is great

Cover of Gorillaz Feel Good Inc. - oh yes

Quantic before he went all Colombian

I saw Martha High with Osaka Monaurail about 10 years ago - she was unbelievable (and Marta Ren is dman good too)

I know Marta Ren from her time in the Portuguese Hip-Hop scene when she was THE girly/r'n'b voice of the movement in the early 00's. She has a really great voice and have some success now in the Funk/Soul scene, as a Portuguese I am really proud of her :)

Back