Best Music of 2021

I just picked up my first 2021 release, Kiwi Jr. - Cooler Returns and it is fantastic, I really loved their last release Football Money and this new one is more of the same. RIYL Indie Guitar Rock in the vein as Pavement. It’s too early to say if it will be on my AOTY list at this point but if they don’t make the cut it means it was a truly stellar release year.

I've just listened to their album on Spotify, really great record, thanks for recommending. 🎶
Yup this album is great. I think it's harder to find "this kind of indie rock" nowadays. It's not reinventing the wheel but it does classic indie rock really well.

- dark post-rock/punk off to a flying start with that shame album plus the singles from Arab Strap and Black Country, New Road
- moody, down-tempo playing it's part with these Gidge and DARKSIDE tracks, too.

Check out the new single from English electronic artist Christopher Clark from his forthcoming new album Playground in a Lake out March 26

Looking back at all the January album releases, these are my highlights of the past month:

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
Goat Girl - On All Fours
Celeste - Not Your Muse
Typhoon - Sympathetic Magic
Still Corners - The Last Exit
Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror
Kiwi jr. - Cooler Returns

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the new Weezer album quite a bit! It won't change your mind if you're a pre-Green Album only purist but it's certainly a step above Pacific Daydream and Black. I think the orchestral flourishes will be make or break for many people and can be seen as kind of gimmicky, but the quality of the songs themselves is good enough to make it work. Plus at only about 30 minutes it's a very breezy listen. Overall I'm into it!

So these are my favorites from the January releases. Still have to listen to them more.

Top tier
Still Corners (The Last Exit)
Kiwi Jr. (Cooler Returns)
Celeste (Not my muse)
Aaron Frazer (Introducing...)
Goat Girl (On all fours)

Very good albums
Arlo Parks (Collapsed in sunbeams)
The Pines (Slow blink)
shame (Drunk tank pink)
Midnight Sister (Painting the roses)
Blackout Problems (Dark)
Daniel Knox (Won't you take me)
Weezer (OK human)
The Notwist (Vertigo days)
Black Pistol Fire (Look alive)
Robohands (Shapes)

Some of my favorites from January:

-Aaron Frazer - Introducing…
-Celeste - Not Your Muse

-Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
-Jeremiah Fraites - Piano Piano
-Madlib - Sound Ancestors
-Yasmin Williams - Urban Driftwood
-Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Told You So
-Langhorne Slim - Strawberry Mansion

Controversial pick, but my AOTM was easily Ashnikko - Demidevil! Not the deepest record but I'm still having fun with it!

That being said I didnt spend nearly enough time with Arlo Parks and I'm probably gonna like that alot once i do
Ashnikko is indeed a fun record, I've enjoyed listening to it too.

Has anyone else looked into buying the Celeste album on vinyl? There are two editions and both of them only have 8 tracks (and are missing some of my favorites; Tonight Tonight, Strange, Stop This Flame). The red vinyl option just has a black album cover. It just seems really weird and I'm kind of bummed out about it.

Has anyone else looked into buying the Celeste album on vinyl? There are two editions and both of them only have 8 tracks (and are missing some of my favorites; Tonight Tonight, Strange, Stop This Flame). The red vinyl option just has a black album cover. It just seems really weird and I'm kind of bummed out about it.

Yes, saw that during my work shift. I will be getting the deluxe CD.

Back