Best Music of 2020

I was going to ask you about her at some point. Before this post, I had assumed you already listened to how I'm feeling now but not too keen on it.

I've been a fan since '13 and yes, I think '16 is when she took the step towards establishing her sound and new fanbase. She is, to me, the most consistent popstar of the past five years.

So, I edited some stuff involving her back in, I wanna say 2016. and because of that briefly investigated her. But I found whatever youtube videos were up very, very bland. Not sure what record the videos were from as the stuff I was editing was to hype the launch of her tour. I've basically ignored her since.

But also, my taste in pop has been a post-Art Angles evolution (Disclosure's Settle also probably played a role) that sent me backwards to people like Sky Ferreria (when the hell is she gonna release something new) and then towards people like Tei Shi, Jai Paul and Dia Lupa. So maybe I should go re-examine? (I really don't like traditional bubble gum).

Either way, my buddy has been on me to check out "how I'm feeling now" for a while... I'm only on my second play through but pretty sure this is gonna be on repeat for a long minute. LOVE the scattershot, pitter patter of the beats and the Arca meets Jamie XX meets Jai Paul meets Crystal Castles textures of a lot of the songs.

Last edited:
You had me extremely confused for a bit thinking that Flamagra was THIS YEAR?!?! but it wasn't. Phew.
Oops, I must have pulled a track from the Deluxe edition that came out this year to my best of playlist and got confused. 🍻

Q3 update.

I didn't think that two pop albums would dominate my listening habits in the new decade, but I am here to report that is the case here. Placements have been jostled around repeatedly, due to my indecisive nature, and I'm certain it will look different once more in the "finalized" Q4 list. Expanded to a fourth tier. Could edit this and the following chart in the coming days, perhaps add a few unranked honorable mentions.

Tier I (outstanding):
1) Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? [dance-pop, disco]​
2) Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia [dance-pop]​
3) Caribou - Suddenly [electronic]​
4) Deserta - Black Aura My Sun [shoegaze, dream pop]​
5) Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas [neo soul, singer/songwriter]​
Tier II (excellent):
6) Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song [tech house, art pop]​
7) Jeff Parker & the New Breed - Suite for Max Brown [nu jazz]​
8) Boldy James and the Alchemist - The Price of Tea in China [gangsta rap, boom bap]​
9) Laura Marling - Song for Our Daughter [singer/songwriter]​
10) Somni - Home [downtempo electronic]​
11) Alabaster DePlume - To Cy and Lee: Instrumentals Vol. I [avant-garde jazz]​
12) HAIM - Women in Music: Part III [indie rock, pop rock]​
13) Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind [psychedelic rock, art rock]​
14) Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters [art pop, singer/songwriter]​
15) Run the Jewels - IV [hardcore hip-hop]​
16) Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher [indie folk, singer/songwriter]​
17) Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman [indie folk]​
Tier III (great):
18) Moses Boyd - Dark Matter [nu jazz, acid house]​
19) Allie X - Cape God [pop]​
20) A.A.L. - 2017-2019 [industrial techno, deconstructed club]​
21) Shabaka and the Ancestors - We are Sent Here by History [nu jazz, spiritual jazz]​
22) Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now [deconstructed club, quarantine jams]​
23) R.A.P. Ferriera - Purple Moonlight Pages [abstract hip-hop, jazz rap]​
24) Lemon Quartet - Crestless [ambient jazz, new age]​
25) Imperial Triumphant - Alphaville [avant-garde metal, technical death metal]​
26) Jessy Lanza - All the Time [UK Bass, synthpop]​
27) HMLTD - West of Eden [glam punk, art rock]​
28) Necrot - Mortal [death metal]​
29) Leo Takami - Felis Catus and Silence [new age, ambient]​
30) CHANCE デラソウル - Besides [plunderphonics]​
31) Jess Williamson - Sorceress [singer/songwriter, Americana]​
Tier IV (good):
32) Grimes - Miss Anthropocene [art pop, indie electronic]​
33) Freddie Gibbs and the Alchemist - Alfredo [hardcore hip-hop, jazz rap]​
34) Julianna Barwick - Healing is a Miracle [new age, ambient]​
35) Sevdaliza - Shabrang [art pop, trip hop]​
36) nthng - Hypnotherapy [ambient techno]​
37) illuminati hotties - Free I.H.: This is not the One You've Been Waiting For [indie rock, noise rock]​
38) Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA [dance-pop, alternative metal]​
39) Yumi Zouma - Truth and Consequences [indie pop, bedroom pop]​
40) Soccer Mommy - color theory [indie pop, bedroom pop]​
The chart:

View attachment 67869
Final update for 2020, using the Topsters2 format that I'm delighted to be seeing more and more of. All albums are in order and in the same tiering from the previous Q3 update:

topsters2 (3).png

10 unranked honorable mentions (to round out to 50):
  • Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA
  • Roisin Murphy - Roisin Machine
  • Sightless Pit - Grave of a Dog
  • Against All Logic - 2017-2019
  • Freddie Gibbs x The Alchemist - Alfredo
  • Yumi Zouma - Truth or Consequences
  • Necrot - Mortal
  • Georgia - Seeking Thrills
  • Helena Deland - Someone New
  • Julianna Barwick - Healing is a Miracle
Below is a Spotify playlist of one standout track from each album (from #1 -> #50):

Last edited:
Me neither but what do I know 😄

For me? The reason Bolt Cutters is hands down my favorite album of the year and easily my favorite Fiona since When the Pawn boils down to a couple of things...

A) The themes of the album, which were clearly meant to reflect on her self-imposed isolation and anti-social tendencies wound up being incredibly relatable during the pandemic
B) It came out right as the lockdown had started which added impact to the above
C) The percussive heavy instrumentation is riveting, fits perfectly with the themes and are unlike almost anything I've heard before (though I would say it owes a small debt to Tune-Yards)
D) It was an album that I felt captivated to investigate every cranny of... that was initially alienating but became all-encompassing- which is the mark of a visionary record.

Last edited:
What a phenomenal year for music. I just keep finding new stuff through all these lists. It's gonna be one of those years where narrowing to 50 is difficult. Also, ya'll should contribute to the end of the year megathread with these lists.

Albums that passed me by when they were released but I'm now drowning myself in:
Bartees Strange: Live Forever [indie rock]
Gorillaz: Song Machine Season 1 [art pop]
Sevdaliza: Shabrang [trip hop]
Charlie XCX: how i’m feeling now [art pop]
Arca: KiCk i [glitch pop, electronic]
Backxwash: God Has Nothing to Do with This Leave Him Out of It (EP) [rap]
Open Mike Eagle: Anime, Trauma and Divorce [hip-hop]
Jarv Is… Beyond the Pale [art rock]
Lauren Bousfield: Palimpsest [glitch pop, electronic]

Last edited:
Back