Best Music of 2020

So... why not just link that website instead of spamming? Or make a single post? And admins can't ignore people šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Personally I enjoy reading best of 2020 year end lists and enjoy scrolling through the ā€œBest Music of 2020ā€ thread and seeing external links. Of course there are other ways that I could go about obtaining this info via the interweb but this works for me and itā€™s easy enough to scroll past the ones I am not interested in.

Personally I enjoy reading best of 2020 year end lists and enjoy scrolling through the ā€œBest Music of 2020ā€ thread and seeing external links. Of course there are other ways that I could go about obtaining this info via the interweb but this works for me and itā€™s easy enough to scroll past the ones I am not interested in.

I suppose the issue is that kills any conversation dead and there is zero context. I think itā€™d be preferable, to me, to have people post direct links to lists theyā€™ve seen and enjoyed, or disagreed with, as opposed to 100 different posts linking to a list compilation website.

I suppose the issue is that kills any conversation dead and there is zero context. I think itā€™d be preferable, to me, to have people post direct links to lists theyā€™ve seen and enjoyed, or disagreed with, as opposed to 100 different posts linking to a list compilation website.
Initially I was with you completely. I would click on the AOTY link then immediately click on the direct link on the AOTY page but as I went through more and more of them I realized that with a lot of the lists, I was interested enough to see their choices but not interested enough to click through 20 pages of write ups (and advertisements) to see who was at the top of their list. The context free AOTY list allowed me to get an overview of what was selected and then, if that preview piqued my interest, I could click on the direct link to dig into why they, for example; thought Sam Huntā€™s latest was one of the years best releases.

Last edited:
Initially I was with you completely. I would click on the AOTY link then immediately click on the direct link on the AOTY page but as I went through more and more of them I realized that with a lot of the lists, I was interested enough to see their choices but not interested enough to click through 20 pages of write ups (and advertisements) to see who was at the top of their list. The context free AOTY list allowed me to get an overview of what was selected and then, if that preview piqued my interest, I could click on the direct link to dig into why they, for example; thought Sam Huntā€™s latest was one of the years best releases.

Thatā€™s fair enough. I personally donā€™t have much truck for reading though hundreds of context free lists, Iā€™m much more of a fan of reading 4 or 5 lists from trusted sources/interesting recommendations and knowing the rationale behind them.

Itā€™s a bit like with reviews I find people who focus on the number to be dull, it rarely influences my decision on whether to sample. Iā€™m much more engaged by the content of a well written review than that.

I also find a wall of context free posts from one user in the thread to kill conversation stone dead.

That said Iā€™m glad that the opposing view exists and is being aired.

Last edited:
Thatā€™s fair enough. I personally donā€™t have much truck for reading though hundreds of context free lists, Iā€™m much more of a fan of reading 4 or 5 lists from trusted sources/interesting recommendations and knowing the rationale behind them.

Itā€™s a bit like with reviews I find people who focus on the number to be dull, it rarely influences my decision on whether to sample. Iā€™m much more engaged by the content of a well written review than that.

Ialso find a wall of context free posts from one user in the thread to kill conversation stone dead.

Yeah, like I really donā€™t care who was number one on People Magazineā€™s top albums of 2020 list but I donā€™t mind taking a peek to see how much my musical taste overlaps with a magazine that my grandma reads especially if I can just quickly scroll to the end.

My main issue was the multiple posts in a row of just URLs. Especially since they're all links to the same aggregator site. What make these particular lists notable enough to paste here individually instead of a more general "hey, this site aggregates year end lists into conveniently scrollable format"? But I was also just teasing Hollywood. I'm glad you like it!

I also find a wall of context free posts from one user in the thread to kill conversation stone dead.

You can also find new trusted sites without reading a bunch of nonsense this way. There were a couple of really interesting lists I would have never come across otherwise.

You can also find new trusted sites without reading a bunch of nonsense this way. There were a couple of really interesting lists I would have never come across otherwise.
That Raven Sings The Blues site was fantastic. I spent hours this past weekend going over their list and found some really interesting stuff that I was completely unfamiliar with.

Think I'm set (with a top 60) though I'm sure I will want to fiddle with it 10 seconds after posting.

Couple changes from the other thread (thanks in part to you guys). The most obvious of which being... I've been listening to that Avalanches album A LOT. And of course, this list is also double the length (and comes with a playlist).

topsters2 (3).jpg

Tier 1 (Masterpiece):
1) Fiona Apple: Fetch the Bolt Cutters [singer / songwriter]
2) Dua Lipa: Future Nostalgia [pop, disco]
3) Deftones: Ohmm [alt metal]
4) Run the Jewels: IV [hip-hop]
5) The Avalanches: We Will Always Love You [neo psychedelic, electronic]
6) SAULT: Untitled (Rise) [neo-soul, jazz]
7) Grimes- Miss Anthroposcene [indie electronica / indie pop]
8) HAIM: Women in Music Pt. III [indie rock]
9) Porridge Radio- Every Bad [post-punk, indie rock]
10) Gorillaz: Song Machine Season One: Strange Times [alternative pop]

Tier 2 (Excellent):
11) Sevdaliza: Shabrang [trip-hop, world]
12) Yves Tumor: Heaven to a Tortured Mind [psychedelic rock]
13) Phoebe Bridgers: Punisher [indie folk]
14) Caribou- Suddenly [electronic]
15) Marilyn Manson: We Are Chaos [rock]
16) Yaeji: What We Drew [hip-house]
17) Perfume Genius: Set My Heart On Fire Immediately: [art pop / indie rock]
18) Katie Pruitt: Expectations [singer / songwriter, indie rock]
19) Charlie XCX: how iā€™m feeling now [experimental pop]
20) Bartees Strange: Live Forever [indie rock]
21) Kelly Lee Owens: Inner Chorus [techno, pop]
22) Samia: The Baby [singer / songwriter, indie rock]

Tier 3 (Great):
23) Moses Sumney- grae [r&b, art pop]
24) Moses Boyd- Dark Matter [nu-jazz / acid house]
25) Jessie Ware: Whatā€™s Your Pleasure [art pop, disco]
26) Lianne La Havas: Lianne La Havas [singer / songwriter, r&b]
27) Mac Miller: Circles [neo-soul, hip-hop]
28) Car Seat Headrest- Making a Door Less Open [indie rock]
29) Allie X: Cape God [pop]
30) Medhane: Cold Water [hip-hop]
31) R.A.P. Ferreria: Purple Moonlit Pages [hip-hop]
32) Armand Hammer: Shrines [hip-hop]
33) Sorry: 925 [art rock]
34) Roisin Murphy: Roisin Machine [deep house, nu-disco]
35) Adrianne Lenker: songs [folk]
36) Open Mike Eagle: Anime, Trauma and Divorce [hip-hop]
37) Westside Gunn: Pray for Paris [rap]
38) Shabaka and the Ancestors: We are Sent Here By History [nu-jazz]
39) Spillage Village: Spilligion [psychedelic hip-hop, r&b]

Tier 4 (Good):
40) PVRIS: Use Me [pop rock]
41) Soccer Mommy: Color Theory [indie rock]
42) Sufjan Stevens: The Ascension [indie electronica]
43) A.A. Williams: Forever Blue [post-rock, folk]
44) A.A.L: 2017-19 [techno]
45) Jay Electronica: A Written Testimony [hip-hop]
46) Freddie Gibbs, The Alchemist: Alfredo [rap]
47) Helena Deland: Someone New [art pop, indie rock]
48) Nicolas Jaar- Cenizas [downtempo, ambient]
49) Laura Marling: Songs for Our Daughter [folk]
50) Hayley Williams: Petals for Armor (art pop, new-wave)
51) Pottery: Welcome to Bobbyā€™s Motel [post-punk / funk]
52) I Break Horses: Warnings [dream pop]
53) Jarv Isā€¦ Beyond the Pale [art rock]
54) Ela Minus: Acts of Rebellions [electro pop, deep house]
55) Royce Da 5ā€™9: The Allegory [rap]
56) Four Tet: Sixteen Oceans [downtempo, ambient techno]
57) Fleet Foxes: Shore [indie folk]
58) Idles: Mono [art punk]
59) Sault: Untitled (Black Is) [neo-soul]
60) Arca: KiCk i [glitch pop, electronic]

Last edited:
Back