Best Music of 2020

Wondering if I should include 1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues on my year-end list. I like it but at the same time I kind of treat it differently since it is a remix album. I mean it's a great remix album but I'm on the fence. Might just keep it as an honorable mention.

The three-page press release he put out where he says something like "Fleet Foxes has always been my vision etc. etc." was a huge turn-off.

I didn't even know this existed and continue to cherish my ignorance of the contents of whatever trash he goes on about for three page. I have enjoyed the album in a "this is very nice and pleasant" kind of way.

nope 😁 tbh I haven't given that one enough time to fully grow on me, it probably won't end up making my list but maybe it will get a second wind when the vinyl comes in. it's pretty good but it has some serious competition this year, in a lesser year it would probably make my list easily
I was really looking forward to it, but can't seem to get into it tbh..
It has some great moments, but also a lot of things that don't really seem to be doing much for me :(

i've been a die-hard fleet foxes guy and I really think this album is just ok. It's really missing those epic moments that the older albums had in spades. Also he says "Corduroy heath" on this album.... like ok, we get it dude,
It does have some great moments and I love Featherweight and Maestranza, but yeah generally not much going on. Reminds me a lot of Bon Iver's i,i because it's a drab crowd-pleaser record to make up for the 3rd album being kinda weird. But that weirdness is why Crack Up and 22 a Million both grew on me over the years, while I'll completely forget Shore exists in 2021

I was really looking forward to it, but can't seem to get into it tbh..
It has some great moments, but also a lot of things that don't really seem to be doing much for me :(
It was highly anticipated for me as well, but I think "Oh Yeah" and "Xxoplex" as singles prepared me for a different album than what it ended up being. I was expecting the majority of the album to be more on the experimental bangers side of things, but a lot of it ended up being more formless, ethereal kind of stuff. I definitely don't think it's a bad album or anything, and there's a good chance it will grow on me, but I'm kind of with you at the moment. 😕

Anyone listened to the new Idles album yet? it's a little underwhelming. Sounds a little like the first Fucked Up album but it's missing something that makes it unique and memorable.

Anyone listened to the new Idles album yet? it's a little underwhelming. Sounds a little like the first Fucked Up album but it's missing something that makes it unique and memorable.
It's fine. It would be fairly great if they hadn't already put out such great material to begin with. Gonna be next to impossible to top Joy.

2020 so far...I'd say only the top 3 are fixed...everything else is pretty fluid day-to-day

1. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
2. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
3. The Microphones - Microphones in 2020
4. Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
5. Sea Wolf - Through a Dark Wood
6. Gogo Penguin - Gogo Penguin
7. Woods - Strange to Explain
8. Tycho - Simulcast
9. Public Enemy - What You Gonna Do When the Grid Goes Down
10. Thundercat - It Is What It Is
11. Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans
12. Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind
13. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase
14. Nicolas Jaar - Cenivas
15. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
16. Fleet Foxes - Shore
17. Khruangbin - Mordechai
18. Old 97s - Twelfth
19. Bill Callahan - Gold Record
20. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Sideways to New Italy and/or Nada Surf - So Much Love (go 90s pop-rock!)

need more time with:
Thurston Moore - By the Fire
Bob Mould - Blue Hearts
Ghostpoet - I Grow Tired but Dare Not Fall Asleep
Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off the Floor

to be released, but like what I've heard so far:
Matt Berniger solo
Kevin Morby
Future Islands
Plants and Animals

EPs and Misc that, on principle, won't make my end of year list, but are great
Khruangbin and Leon Bridges. -Texas Sun
Kamasi Washington, 9th Wonder, Robert Glasper - Dinner Party
Makaya McCraven + Gil Scott-Heron - We're New Again
Jason Molina - Eight Gates
the 16 individual tracks The Polish Ambassador & Wildlight have been releasing basically once a week for the last few months

It's fine. It would be fairly great if they hadn't already put out such great material to begin with. Gonna be next to impossible to top Joy.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who was left feeling a little underwhelmed, it's not bad at all and there's moments of greatness (I especially like "Model Village") but it's kind of just more of the same thing that they were doing on Joy. I can see why they leaned more heavily into the "positivity is punk" ethos of that album considering the current climate but it just doesn't feel as fresh as it did on that album. It sucks because the album has good intentions but it just doesn't hold my attention as much as what came before 😕

2. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
Yes!!! I am new to Protomatyr this year, I missed them completely in the past. This one may be their best one yet. It’s powerful, brooding and scratching an itch for some post-punk with an edge that I didn’t know needed scratching. That and the new Fontaine’s D.C. are both doing the same for me. I’m not sure which one I like more, but they’ll easily be in my top 10 by EOY

Yes!!! I am new to Protomatyr this year, I missed them completely in the past. This one may be their best one yet. It’s powerful, brooding and scratching an itch for some post-punk with an edge that I didn’t know needed scratching. That and the new Fontaine’s D.C. are both doing the same for me. I’m not sure which one I like more, but they’ll easily be in my top 10 by EOY
I only got into them on Relatives of Descent...and probably still prefer that album to Ultimate Success Today, but ya...they're pulling from a lot of influence from the early 80s...Gun Club, Wire, Husker Du, Chameleons, Mission of Burma...even a bit of Dead Can Dance and Simple Minds...all very much in my musical wheelhouse

Back