Best Music of 2020

I don’t know if it's because I've been quarantined for so long and I'm streaming more and more music 🎶 but 2020 has allowed me to discover so many new artists and bands, and I'm grateful for it. 🙏🙌

1. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Reunions
  2. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
  3. Moses Sumney - Grae
  4. Thundercat - It Is What It Is
  5. Aoife O’Donovan- Bull Frog Croons (and Other Songs
  6. Shabaka and the Ancestors- We Are Sent Here By History
  7. Haim - Women in Music Pt III
  8. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
  9. Katie Pruitt - Expectations
  10. Holy Hive - Float Back to You
  11. Becca Mancari - The Greatest Part
  12. Margaret Glaspy- Devotional
  13. Monophonics - It’s Only Us
  14. Bonny Light Horseman
  15. Nicole Atkins - Italian Ice
  16. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
  17. Chicano Batman- Invisible People
  18. Waxahatchee - St Cloud
  19. Futurebirds - Teamwork
  20. Devon Gilfillian - Black Hole Rainbow

adding Becca in this morning and then looking at my top twenty got me thinking about what a really great year it’s been for music. Thank God since life has been pretty much a shit show this year.

2. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
  3. Moses Sumney - Grae
  14. Bonny Light Horseman

adding Becca in this morning and then looking at my top twenty got me thinking about what a really great year it’s been for music. Thank God since life has been pretty much a shit show this year.

Also Women have been killing it this year!!!

2. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
  3. Moses Sumney - Grae
  14. Bonny Light Horseman

We have a lot of overlap so I made a point to check out your entries I haven’t listened to yet. I’m currently listening to Bull Frog Croons. Thank you so much for turning me in to it! Towards the end of one song, I exclaimed “Goddamn!” out loud, while alone. Soooo...yeah...I am a fan.

We have a lot of overlap so I made a point to check out your entries I haven’t listened to yet. I’m currently listening to Bull Frog Croons. Thank you so much for turning me in to it! Towards the end of one song, I exclaimed “Goddamn!” out loud, while alone. Soooo...yeah...I am a fan.
Pretty much sums up my first listen. Vinyl is heavy weight and 45 rpm.

Annie Hamilton is getting a lot of playtime from me right now. Unfortunately no physical media exists yet that I am aware of.

I noticed Becca Mancari in the list above. She came up in a Jess Williamson radio on Spotify today and I liked it enough to look to see who it was. I'll probably check into her some more. I assume if you liked her you may want to look into Jess.

A.V. Club dropped its list of albums of the year so far. There are a lot of familiar names, but there’s also a fair amount of stuff I’ve never heard of. I’m exploring some of those this morning. Here’s the link for anybody interested.

I'm about to disappoint @NathanRicaud and @Rip_City.

I like What's Your Pleasure? but don't love it. It's clearly got a lot of talent behind it and is expertly produced + arranged, but it just feels... static, if that's the word? It's all a bit too subtle for me. There's not a lot of sonic variety and it kept blending into the background, not really holding my attention. I will spin it more and it will likely grow on me, but I can definitely see what @siremobunny meant by it being too faithfully disco. There's some boundary between me and the music, I recognize it's good but the music doesn't reach out and grab me enough to make an extra leap to greatness for me.

I like What's Your Pleasure? but don't love it. It's clearly got a lot of talent behind it and is expertly produced + arranged, but it just feels... static, if that's the word? It's all a bit too subtle for me. There's not a lot of sonic variety and it kept blending into the background, not really holding my attention. I will spin it more and it will likely grow on me, but I can definitely see what @siremobunny meant by it being too faithfully disco. There's some boundary between me and the music, I recognize it's good but the music doesn't reach out and grab me enough to make an extra leap to greatness for me.

Not disappointed at all. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Mmmmm I understand where you’re coming from! What’s Your Pleasure?, although cheeky, is very clean in sound! It doesn’t have the young energy of all your AOTY so far too, if you know what I mean! I also know where you’re coming from by saying you feel like it doesn’t have much sonic variety. Like I feel you on that one! I’m so happy you gave the record a go on vinyl as your first proper experience! That just shows how adventurous you are! 💯

Hey @NathanRicaud , you like Rosalía right? Have you gotten an opportunity to listen to María José Llergo’s EP “Sanacion” yet? It’s Flamenco with some modern production. It isn’t as pop-oriented as Rosalía so you might not like it. But I wanted to bring it to your attention! It’s one of my faves of the year so far!

Hey @NathanRicaud , you like Rosalía right? Have you gotten an opportunity to listen to María José Llergo’s EP “Sanacion” yet? It’s Flamenco with some modern production. It isn’t as pop-oriented as Rosalía so you might not like it. But I wanted to bring it to your attention! It’s one of my faves of the year so far!
I am a huge Rosalìa fan! I love her two studio albums with a passion and really admire all the collaborations she’s been doing since last year! Her collaboration with Travis Scott on the track TKN is next level, as was the collaboration she did recently with Arca! The duet she did with James Blake was stunning! I have been loving a lot of singles since El Mal Querer too, but my favourite piece of work she’s done is definitely her debut album, Los Angeles! It’s just raw, stark, powerful and stunning! ♥

I have never heard of Marìa José Llergo’s before! I’m keen to check out her EP you recommended! Thanks for letting me know about it Supahypeag! 😘

Also, the pop sound behind Rosalia’s flamenco music is great, but my favourite songs of Rosalìa are the more traditional ones. If anything, I’m happy to Marìa José Llergo’s EP is less pop-orientated then Rosalìa current music! 💡🤗

I've never been a massive Protomartyr fan but this new album. Damn. It's like if the Chameleons reunited and made an album with some purpose or edge to it. It's fantastic.

Relatives of Descent is what got me into Protomartyr for very much the same reason...a tight, modern take on that late 70s/early 80s post-punk sound...Wire, The Gun Club, The Cramps, Chameleons...agreed, new album is fantastic

Back