Best Music of 2019

Nice, I haven't heard of any of these bands, save your reference to Chastity Belt. Out of curiosity, do you have a go to spot to get good recs on lesser known upcoming albums? I've been checking out Line Of Best Fit recently and that's put me in better touch with new stuff out of Europe, but looks like all these artists are American.
As much as I can't stand anything about the sub, /r/indieheads on reddit posts weekly new music friday posts. They have a long list on there, with another user adding even more obscure artists in the comments. That and a monthly post about the best new music coming out of Japan have given me tons of music I absolutely adore.

You have to do a lot of weeding through some shit, just cause so much music comes out weekly, but it's worth it.

100's of albums come out everyday. Out of those dozens are what I am trying to hear. I am way behind the curve from where I want to be.

I can generally tell in the first 3 tracks if this is a thing I could like or want to continue listening to. I will generally finish something even if I don't like it but not always. For example, Jade Bird - Jade Bird, I got maybe 5 tracks in and had enough, definitely not for me. Igor, OTOH, I was unimpressed but finished it and then gave it two more spins just to see if I could figure out why I was missing all the hype. In the case of Igor I can say my estimation definitely improved but not to make a list or anything.

I will often respin due to less than conducive environments on the first listen. Stuff I really like definitely gets spun repeatedly. I average 10-12 albums a day I listen to. 1/3 is brand new. 1/3 is stuff I like so I am listening again. 1/3 is not brand new but it is stuff I have never heard before (i.e. anything from this and the last century that didn't occur in this year). Lately I've been participating in our listening club and so far that falls int he last category but is getting multiple spins to generate cohesive reviews so I would say it takes at least 2 full listens to fully form an opinion on something for me.

From the list above:
1. >12 times
2. 7 or 8 times
3. 3 times
4. 6 or 7 times
5. 5 or 6 times
6. 4 times
7. 5 times (this morning, even)
8. 5 or 7 times
9. 4 times
10. 2 times (on the relisten list)
11. 2 times
12. 2 times
13. 5 or 6 times
14. 4 times
15. 4 times
16. 4 times
17. 3 times

Tbh I think it's crazy that you've only listened to your 3rd favourite album of the year 3 times but hey you do you boo. If I find an album I love I'll usually listen to it in full daily for weeks on end

Well, peeps - I may have a strong new contender for AOTY. It came out last Friday - anyone wanna take a guess what album I'm talking about?

I will accept this challenge. I really don't know your taste in music except for scrolling back a couple pages and seeing that you were excited that someone else had Xiu Xiu on their AOTY list. Based on this limited knowledge, I choose Black Midi as your new contender - given the tremendous spirit of experimentation on this record.

I will accept this challenge. I really don't know your taste in music except for scrolling back a couple pages and seeing that you were excited that someone else had Xiu Xiu on their AOTY list. Based on this limited knowledge, I choose Black Midi as your new contender - given the tremendous spirit of experimentation on this record.
Nice detective work - you got it exactly right! Lol

But yup, I can't lie. This new black midi album is 100% my shit. I'd highly recommend giving it a listen, but only if you can get down with extremely dense and bizarre forms of rock music. Plus I can see the singer's, let's say, "distinctive" vocals being a turn off as well.

Nice detective work - you got it exactly right! Lol

But yup, I can't lie. This new black midi album is 100% my shit. I'd highly recommend giving it a listen, but only if you can get down with extremely dense and bizarre forms of rock music. Plus I can see the singer's, let's say, "distinctive" vocals being a turn off as well.

Awesome! Do I win anything for being correct beyond this tremendous sense of pride? Perhaps, the new Black Midi record?

Just kidding - I ordered it a couple days ago and it should be in by the end of the week ;)

Back