3. Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love Call
  4. Nilüfer Yanya - Miss Universe
  5. The National - I Am Easy to Find
  6. Maggie Rogers - Heard It In a Past Life
  7. Kelly Finigan - The Tales People Tell
  8. Howard Jones - Transform
  9. Stella Donnelly - Beware of the Dogs
  10. Dido - Still on My Mind
Honorable Mentions: Vampire Weekend, Better Oblivion Community Center, Josh Ritter, Barrie, Julia Jacklin, Robert Ellis
I need to spend more time with: Weyes Blood, Big Thief, The Comet is Coming, Charly Bliss, Faye Webster

A quick 10...but there's probably a well thought out 20 or so though...
  1. The Racs (debut releases from the upcoming album 'Help Me Stranger' dropping next week) (y)
  2. Clarky - This Land
  3. Jules Jacklin - Crushing
  4. Kev Morby - OMG
  5. Shazza V - Remind Me Tomorrow
  6. Jen Lewis - On The Line
  7. Vampire wknd - Father Of the Bride
  8. Ms Harding - Designer
  9. The National - I Am Easy to Find
  10. The Specials - Encore

Last edited:
I hadn’t listened to anything from the new Hatchie album until today. I just blind pre-ordered the album because I fucking loved the EP from last year. And let me say, holy fuck these 3 singles are good.

I was worried that she would go too pop, but she has not. She’s in that sweet spot of being pop and a little dreamy/new wavey/shoegazey.

I cannot fucking wait for the new album now. God damn.

I'm a huge Big Thief fan and I came in with nearly zero hype. I picked up Capacity on a whim out of some collage on RED and kept listening to it at the gym because I kept discovering more and more in it. Then one day I was just in love so I found Masterpiece and the flame grew brighter. Then I saw them live and became an undying fan. I was actually pretty intrepid about listening to UFOF because I didn't think they could possibly deliver like that again. I think they grew quite a lot as a band to produce UFOF. I like it so much I DON'T mention it to people because a) there is the hype and I don't really want to be associated with that and b) I'm often afraid it will lower my estimation of some of my friends if they don't like it, lol. The only person I told was my wife and she seemed to like it, so that was a close call.

I despise Vampire Weekend, though, so there's that.

I haven’t heard many people talk about it, but the new The Tallest Man On Earth record is really sparse and hauntingly beautiful. It’s a simpler sound from his precious work, but it’s a really strong album.
Is it out yet? I pre-ordered it a while back, haven't received it in the mail thus far

EDIT: wow it released on April 19th. I totally slept on it.

EDIT2: LP drop date is June 28th, I just assumed it was also to drop date for the whole album and completely forgot about it. :(

Last edited:
This is my current top 10. I've separated them into three tiers and within each group the artists are in no particular order.

Lizzo - cuz I love you
The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
The SEED Ensemble - Driftglass

Ezra Collective - You Can't Steal Our Joy
Mark de Clive-Lowe - Heritage
KOKEROKO - Kokeroko
Flying Lotus - Flamagra

Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
White Denim - Side Effects
Mammoth Penguins - There's No Fight We Can't Win

Is it out yet? I pre-ordered it a while back, haven't received it in the mail thus far

EDIT: wow it released on April 19th. I totally slept on it.

EDIT2: LP drop date is June 28th, I just assumed it was also to drop date for the whole album and completely forgot about it. :(
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the release was a surprise drop! I am going to wait to get it from my local, but it's a great record. He is such a great song writer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the release was a surprise drop! I am going to wait to get it from my local, but it's a great record. He is such a great song writer.
Yeah I am a huge fan of his. But this release is very odd. It’s happening but no one seems to be paying attention to it. Almost like he became uncool to music publications and I don’t see him in a lot of festival lineups which help with popularity too.

Yeah I am a huge fan of his. But this release is very odd. It’s happening but no one seems to be paying attention to it. Almost like he became uncool to music publications and I don’t see him in a lot of festival lineups which help with popularity too.
Maybe it is a deliberate choice? There is no push for this record, and he literally just dropped it. I get the vibe that this is an incredibly personal record and that maybe he is at the point in his career where he just wants to enjoy some low key tours? Who knows honestly. It is definitely strange.

Maybe it is a deliberate choice? There is no push for this record, and he literally just dropped it. I get the vibe that this is an incredibly personal record and that maybe he is at the point in his career where he just wants to enjoy some low key tours? Who knows honestly. It is definitely strange.
yeah I'm totally cool with that. I wasn't the biggest fan of his last album, it's good but nowhere near as good as his first two. So I'm hopeful this one is a little bit more stripped out since it's more personal. I guess I will find out when I listen lol

yeah I'm totally cool with that. I wasn't the biggest fan of his last album, it's good but nowhere near as good as his first two. So I'm hopeful this one is a little bit more stripped out since it's more personal. I guess I will find out when I listen lol
I really loved Dark Bird is Home, even though it was a big departure from his normal stuff. With that being said, I do really enjoy this new one. Let me know what you think when you get around to listening!

Here is my Top 10 AotY in rough order (certainly subject to change):

1. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
  2. Kankyo Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990
  3. Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
  4. Quelle Chris - Guns
  5. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
  6. PUP - Morbid Stuff
  7. Xiu Xiu - Girl With Basket of Fruit
  8. Ariana Grande - Thank u, Next
  9. The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
  10. Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Here is my Top 10 AotY in rough order (certainly subject to change):

1. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
  2. Kankyo Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990
  3. Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
  4. Quelle Chris - Guns
  5. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
  6. PUP - Morbid Stuff
  7. Xiu Xiu - Girl With Basket of Fruit
  8. Ariana Grande - Thank u, Next
  9. The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
  10. Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Not to isolate you personally but this is a typical list being bandied about that I just can’t get behind at all but am completely floored that SVE is in it. I believe it has to be a generational thing. I’ve heard 100% of that list and 90% I wouldn’t put on a top 100 or maybe even 200 for the year. It’s not bad but it sure does not grab me at all (except xiu xiu, that’s just straight wtf to me) but yet SVE is on my top 10 (or very close) so there is not a complete disconnect. It really fascinates me.

Back