Best Music of 2019

Thanks to the people who recommended The Comet Is Coming.

Heads up to those same people-- Kate Tempest (who has a cameo on Blood of the Past) is worth checking out. Her album Let Them Eat Choas from a couple year back is one of the weirdest, headiest "hip-hop" albums of the decade. Her lyrics are always on point, she tells vivid stories and the production on the album is super unique.

Thanks to the people who recommended The Comet Is Coming.

Heads up to those same people-- Kate Tempest (who has a cameo on Blood of the Past) is worth checking out. Her album Let Them Eat Choas from a couple year back is one of the weirdest, headiest "hip-hop" albums of the decade. Her lyrics are always on point, she tells vivid stories and the production on the album is super unique.

I remember Kate! I didn't realize she is on the CIC album.

Here’s my top ten as of right now:
1. Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
2. Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love Call
3. Little Simz - Grey Area
4. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
5. Daniel Norgren - Wooh Dang
6. Kelly Finnigan - The Tales People Tell
7. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
8. Mandolin Orange - Tides of a Teardrop
9. The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
10. Cochemea - All My Relations

Just went thru these lists and now I know beyond a doubt nothing good has released so far in 2019 with the except of maybe simz.
What a bum year! I hope some big drops happen before the end.
2018 had a ton of great drops.

Unless you genuinely dislike everything I've posted, you have no ground to say that "hip hop has been bad this year" if you don't actively look for new hip hop music.

Hey now. I definitely do actively look.

A lot of the year's more acclaimed albums have done nothing for me. Included in that grouping would be Dave: Pyschodrama, Slothai: Nothing Great About Britain (only one play-through though so I'll need to re-examine), Lizzo (which was great in places and too poppy in others), the disappointing Schoolboy Q and Loyle Carner's. Meanwhile, I don't need to listen to 2 Chain's album to know it ain't for me despite the love it's receiving.

Rico Nasty's LP, Chris Clark's Never Hated and Malibu Ken are all solid, but haven't hooked me to the point where I'm sure I won't just stop listening to them when the year turn's ala releases like Cormega: Mega Philosophy and String Theory: String Theory from earlier in the decade.

Thanks for reminding me to check out that Injury Reserve album though. Digging it a lot. It's dense but strikes me as a grower that will probably sit alongside Woods and Simz as albums that I wind up purchasing on wax.

Btw, you should PM me your username on Redacted.

Last edited:
Also how can you say it's a bad year for rap when Chris Crack puts out a new album like every month?

Also I feel like Yugen Blakrok needs a mention right about now. Anima Mysterium is fantastic.

Finally Wet Dirt by Crimeapple is one of the best albums of the year.

Hip hop is having a good year for me. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Here’s my top ten as of right now:
1. Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
2. Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love Call
3. Little Simz - Grey Area
4. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
5. Daniel Norgren - Wooh Dang
6. Kelly Finnigan - The Tales People Tell
7. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
8. Mandolin Orange - Tides of a Teardrop
9. The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
10. Cochemea - All My Relations

I absolutely love Durand, but the more I listen to that Kelly Finnigan album, the more I think it's going to pass ALC for me.

Probably missing something, but here’s my tentative list, in alphabetical order.

Budos Band - V
Crypt Trip - Haze County
Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love Call
Flying Lotus - Flamagra
Kevin Morby - Oh My God
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing For Fishies
Jamila Woods - LEGACY! LEGACY!
Little Simz - GREY Area
The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
Theon Cross - Fiyah
Tyler, The Creator - Igor (this would be 11)

Back