Best Music 🎵 of 2023!

My brother sent me this one from a Finnish blog. It leans pretty heavily to americana/country/folk. There's some interesting stuff on there (how someone could have 100 favorite albums in a year is maybe another story):

4 of those top 5 are from the Portland area. Crazy. @hatfieldpdx check this out.
Thanks for sharing - it's a great list.

Amazing to see Kassi Valazza at #1. That said, she deserves it. She has been playing regular gigs around Portland the past couple of years. I've caught as many of them as I can. Sadly, she will be departing for New Orleans in 2024.

Dean at #2! Another one of my favorites from 2023. Also great to see Margo Cilker and Jeffrey Martin in their top 10.

That Sluice album is solid (RIYL Bill Callahan), and the Logan Ledger album is pretty rad. I gave Logan a ride on the farm out at Pickathon last summer. Very nice and chill dude.

EDIT: 3 of the top 5 albums (Kassi Valazza, Jeffrey Martin, Margo Cilker) are on Portland's Fluff & Gravy Records label. They are running a 20% off sale through 12/18. Use the code 'holiday' at checkout.

Last edited:
This is another really great list, with a boatload of deeper cuts. That Mikaela Davis album is really solid, and...she and her band Southern Star are exceptional live. One of my favorite new discoveries this year.
Yeah, I always like to sit down with the RSTB list and do a deep dive. There’s is lots of excellent stuff I find on that list every year.

chart (72).png

Black Ceasar by Russell Hall
Blue Voices by Anagrams
Celestial by Knoel Scott featuring Marshall Allen
History by Lapgan
I Came From Love by Dave Okumu & The 7 Generations

Inuktitut by Elisapie
The Invaders – Original Score by King Khan
King Comfy by Tim Carman Trio
Kirpi İkilemi by Naci Oğuz
Late Reflections by Grandbrothers

low key, low pressure by Session Victim
Millions of Us by BCUC
Minari by Bokoya & Gianni Brezzo
Notes & Tones by DJ Muggs
On & On by José James

Phoenix by Lakecia Benjamin
Seeking the Sources of Streams by Cicada
Shoebox by K!mmortal
Stand Tall by Kioea
Sublimation by Shalom

Take To The Streets by Eparapo
Taken By Force by CIVIC
WAH WAH! واه واه! by JISR
when poems do what they do by aja monet
Ψευδομένη by Ὁπλίτης

Has anyone seen the album by Kid Fears called Undying Love in any of these 2023 album of the year lists? It's my album of the year! I haven't seen it anywhere, and I know there are some lists who focus on more obscure selections, so I'm hoping it's getting some love somewhere!

Check out the tracks Lemon or Before I Wake for a taste, my two favorites.

Has anyone seen the album by Kid Fears called Undying Love in any of these 2023 album of the year lists? It's my album of these year! I haven't seen it anywhere, and I know there are some list who focus on more obscure selections, so I'm hoping it's getting some love somewhere!

Check out the tracks Lemon or Before I Wake for a taste, my two favorites.
It was on mine, but who cares? 😂

It’ll be on @Rip_City ’s late list, too, once they get their copy

We are simpaticos then! I just can't believe the Kid Fears album hasn't gotten more recognition on music sites. Every friend I've introduced it to has been amazed at how few monthly listeners and streams they have. I hope they get more recognition bc I want them to tour, make money, and be able to make more incredible music!!!

We are simpaticos then! I just can't believe the Kid Fears album hasn't gotten more recognition on music sites. Every friend I've introduced it to has been amazed at how few monthly listeners and streams they have. I hope they get more recognition bc I want them to tour, make money, and be able to make more incredible music!!!

They started to get some notice down here when they were touring with Wednesday. Just need to tour more up north

Oh sheeet! This comment of yours made me check on the vinyl, and it's available! When I got into them over the summer there wasn't a record option, only cassettes. I haven't bought a record in months, but I'm getting this!

Guys - I'm really struggling to find the time (and the will) to finish posting my AOTY list selections.. unfortunately, I may end up just posting my last 8 albums without any sort of write up. We'll see, though. Stay tuned, regardless.
Bummer. Hopefully you can find time to at least do a nice write up for your number 1 pick.

I did a really good job of keeping up with releases as they happened this year thanks to weekly visits to album of the year. The exception being the past couple of months while I was on a movie bender. So there are less albums being found via end of the year lists than usual.

That said, the Anohni and the Johnsons album is fucking awesome. Reminds me of Tim Buckley. That'd be my pick for the one that would be way higher on my list if I wasn't just discovering it.

Well, I, unfortunately, couldn't find the motivation (or, more of the issue, the time) to finish posting my AOTY list by individual albums. I had made it all the way to my #9 (Panopticon). But I figured I still needed to finish my list, so here is my full list in collage form ✌️ And here are the final 8 albums I didn't get to:

#8 Sleaford Mods - UK Grim
#7 Model/Actriz - Dogsbody
#6 JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - Scaring The Hoes
#5 Raye - My 21st Century Blues
#4 Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex
#3 Haken - Fauna
#2 King Gizzard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse...
#1 billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps

1000005496.png

As I look 🔙 at the year that was, I can't help but have mixed emotions as it has not been an easy one for me...losing my Dad suddenly on Father's Day ❤️ was probably the most difficult thing I have ever experienced 😔 One can never be prepared for the unexpected death of a loved one (parent) and with Xmas 🎄 fast approaching I am struggling to find peace 🕊️ and joy this holiday season 😞

I was also on strike for over a month this past spring 🌱 and that took a huge toll on my morale and mental health not to mention my bank account 😭

On another note, I moved in with my best friend, partner, soulmate and lover ❤️ this past August, and that has brought me much needed happiness as life would not be the same without her and quite honestly I don't know how I would have survived the year without her by my side 🙏❤️ Her unwavering support is what keeps me going...

All that said, 2023 was a great year for 🆕 music 🎵 discoveries and 🆕 releases in general! Even though, I found myself listening 🎧 to less albums than usual this year, there was enough to keep my ears 👂 happy and my heart ❤️ and soul full!

Recurring themes for me were grief and loss 😭 pain, love, self-acceptance and resilience and as a result it has help shape my AOTY list which I NOW present to you.

My 41 Favourite Albums of 2023:
chart (5).png

Back