Bandcamp Fridays

Just bought both with the early bird price (20% discount). A good opportunity for who doesn't want to pay higher prices on Japanese reissues.

I grabbed this and Ryo in NY at the discount awhile back. Excited for those to get to me eventually!

so....maybe this is a dumb question but is it ultimately more beneficial to the artist for me to buy something from someone not on a label? Meaning if bandcamp isn't taking a cut of their fees today, is that cut then being given to the label? or the artist? or is that the labels decision?

so....maybe this is a dumb question but is it ultimately more beneficial to the artist for me to buy something from someone not on a label? Meaning if bandcamp isn't taking a cut of their fees today, is that cut then being given to the label? or the artist? or is that the labels decision?
I'd imagine that someone not on a label would make more money from bandcamp waiving the fees today. Labels will still likely take their cuts. Some labels have been donating the amount they would have paid bandcamp to charity instead which is dope.

Gonna give a shameless plug to a good buddy of mine, Scott Burton. He's a jazz guitarist and is actually the main reason I ever even got into jazz and hip hop in the first place.

Anyways today he put out an album that is basically what it sounds like to have a low-key panic attack. Highly recommended!

I just added the Fenne Lily's BREACH bundle (Pre-order) to my collection. Includes BREACH LP on coke bottle clear vinyl, "To Be A Woman Pt. 2" b/w "Hypochondriac" 7" on red clear vinyl. ❤

Edward Ka-Spel of the Legendary Pink Dots and Tear Garden (mostly LPD+Skinny Puppy) and a bunch of solo records (he did a great one with Amanda Palmer not too long ago), has been putting up remastered and archival and live releases on a Pay What You Want basis; I own most of the original albums, and most of the vinyl sells out pretty much immediately (small runs, rabid fanbase, you know how it is), but it's nice to have these available. Bandcamp lets you do the streaming etc, but if you want FLAC or wav/mp3 downloads, you need to pay at least $1, and I do like the idea of helping EKS/LPD etc out even minimally, so I've been tossing them a few bucks for all the odds and ends they've been posting.

My recommendations if you're not familiar with the Legendary Pink Dots are to hit up the compilations. Of these, the most accessible is IMO the 2nd one, "a ticking clock 1990-1999" or the 3rd one, "a string of zeroes 2000-2010", but they are all worthwhile in their own way. Early stuff is synthy and sort of goth-poppy, caveat emptor.

There's also another compilation from the 90-95 material available -- the physical album is long out of print, so the digital is the only way to get "Canta Mientras Puedas":

honestly this one is a favorite and one I used to play in the car all the time. Worth it for the face-melting guitar solo on Joey The Canary alone.

And if you like Skinny Puppy's uh, mellower more psychedelic side, you would probably enjoy The Tear Garden. EKS has put together some compilations broken up along the lines of their decades / lineups. I would consider all three anthologies to be uniformly excellent, but if you only had a single dollar to spare, I'd nudge you to part, "99 lives to ponder 1990-1999"

MUSHROOM CLOUDS (The Tear Garden Anthology Part 1 - The 80s), by Legendary Pink Dots

99 Lives To Ponder (The Tear Garden Anthology Part 2 - 1990-99), by Legendary Pink Dots

2020 Visions (The Tear Garden Anthology Part 3 - 2000 to 2020), by Legendary Pink Dots

Back