August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

2. The Thrill is Gone

I decided to go with the song title itself as inspiration for what to play today. I was going to play an album I am no longer excited to play, but then decided to go with Black Pumas.
I loved the single, Colors, and then loved pretty much the whole album when it came out, and had a blast at their concert right before Covid hit. It was a great show, and I was mesmerized by Adrian Quesada, such a great player and a calm cool stage presence. Eric Burton killed it too. I had high hopes for the next batch of songs, but it just didn’t happen. (Yet?)

So now I don’t have much optimism or excitement about them putting out something great again. Just a one-off? Maybe.

View attachment 147715
Also, I don't care what the haters say. This is a fine album.

Day 2
The Thrill is Gone

I was lucky enough to see BB King once in Boulder. He was supposed to do a story teller event and just talk and tell us about his life. But about five minutes in he said, you all don't really want to hear me talk you want to hear me play. And out came his guitar. He was already in poor health and couldn't stand, but even sitting and complaining of his finger pain making it harder to play, he put on a show to remember from his chair. But when I read the prompt, the first thing that popped into my head wasn't the blues. It was this atmospheric funeral black metal band, An Autumn For Crippled Children. So I'm spinning their album All Fell Silent, Everything Went Quiet.

I've listened to this band a lot this past year. They fit my mood when I think of how fucked our world is and how the thrill of the future is gone because of capitalist greed and a hatred of difference.

#RevolutionOrExtinction
I Want My Thrill Back
View attachment 147733
I should check this out. Thanks for the rec.

3. A Day in the Life

No other single record in history influenced so many different facets of music than Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Concept, performance, construction, sound, production, packaging - all were groundbreaking and hold influence today.

In 1976, a lesser known Canadian band released a record with a strong Pepper hand. Some media folks picked up on similarities with SPLHCB and before you knew it, the rumors were a'flyin' and the band was being outed as The Beatles, reformed and incognito.

They weren't. But the record is fun and wears that influence proudly, just as thousand have since 1967...

Klaatu - 3:47 EST

20220803_015004.jpg

I SHOULD HAVE RESERVED THE SECOND POST, dammit!!!

Points updated to post #554

POINTS*:
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 31
@CrazyDiamond84 - 24
@Smartiepants - 31
@cul8er - 8
@Indymisanthrope - 2
@mcherry - 31
@ranbalam - 31
@gafacaode - 28
@Hemotep - 31
@Wicked Dreamer - 31
@TenderLovingKiller® - 31
@avecigrec - 31
@Fleetwood-Matt - 31
@DrainedPatience - 1
@Piratenovelist - 6
@Turbo - 31
@Wes C. Attle - 28

Brownie Points:
@ranbalam - 5
@Wicked Dreamer - 1 1/3
@cul8er - 1
@avecigrec - 2 3/4
@Turbo - 2
@CrazyDiamond84 - 3
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 5 124/247
@Smartiepants - 2
@gafacaode - 1 1/2
@Wes C. Attle - 1
@TenderLovingKiller® - 1 3/4

BONUS BROWNIE POINTS:
@cul8er - 3

SUPER SECRET BONUS BROWNIE POINTS:

*Points are imaginary and useless despite whatever a certain uncle may have told you!**

** Ah, fuck it, I actually have a prize to be revealed later. ***

***As usual, it will probably be something by a local artist, because that's the way I roll.

Last edited:
I SHOULD HAVE RESERVED THE SECOND POST, dammit!!!

Points up dated to post #43

POINTS*:
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 3
@CrazyDiamond84 - 2
@Smartiepants - 2
@cul8er - 2
@Indymisanthrope - 2
@mcherry - 2
@ranbalam - 2
@gafacaode - 2
@Hemotep - 2
@Wicked Dreamer - 2
@TenderLovingKiller® - 2
@avecigrec - 1
@Fleetwood-Matt

Brownie Points:
@ranbalam - 1
@Wicked Dreamer - 7/12

BONUS BROWNIE POINTS:

*Points are imaginary and useless despite whatever a certain uncle may have told you!**

** Ah, fuck it, I actually have a prize to be revealed later. ***

***As usual, it will probably be something by a local artist, because that's the way I roll.

I have no idea how points are accumulated but it's punk as fuck that @Wicked Dreamer has seven twelfths of a brownie point.

Last edited:
3. A Day in the Life
allegedly the first part of A day in the life is about the untimely death of the heir to the Guinness fortune and a friend of the Beatles, the record was banned by the Beeb but not for this reason The BBC announced that it would not broadcast the song due to the line "I'd love to turn you on", which, according to the corporation, advocated drug use.
a song from this was used in a banned Guinness commercial
20220716_094754.jpg

3. A Day in the Life

This one didn’t come to me right away. I guess it goes to show how large the Beatles loom, but after a while, Day was the word I kept repeating to myself which eventually made me think of Lady Day

Billie Holiday - Lady Sings The Blues

0F51A4C6-E1A8-4691-8438-580AD3CF3AC3.jpeg

Day 3

A Day in the Life

@mcherry I struggled with this one too. Partially because A Day in The Life is my absolute favorite song. It’s the perfect collaboration by the greatest song writing duo ever.

Ultimately, I decided to go with the intimacy of the concept of A Day in the Life.

I was always able to write my way out
The song always made sense to me
Now I find when I look down
Every page is empty

Florence Welch has never shied away from the intimate or the personal. However, there is a vulnerability that runs through this album, certainly a side effect of the isolation of the pandemic, that wasn’t present on an album level before. Sure songs like Hunger were vulnerable but not entire albums. It feels like she has laid herself bare to us, both in song and visuals (the videos and album photos are the most outwardly witchy of her work to date.)

I absolutely love this album and am still convinced she is the greatest singer we currently have.

D1E39A68-F9D5-4190-8A0B-323F47CEA5E7.jpeg
Florence + the Machine - Dance Fever

Day 3 - A Day In the Life

223FE5DA-1C96-414E-8ACB-BA2B01BCCAA5.jpeg

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

“A Day in the Life” is one of the greatest closing tracks of all time! Decided to go with an album with another incredible closing track. “Mortal Man” is such a perfect way to end this album that I feel I have to earn it to listen to it lol, if I didn’t listen to the rest of the album deeply enough then I don’t deserve to hear the Tupac ending

03. A Day in the Life

Neil Young + Stray Gators - Tuscaloosa
B5432B44-B173-4327-8CC2-DDA9F11A3D0B.jpeg

“A Day In the Life” is about the internal and external lives we all live. Lennons verse is internal, it’s about the bigger things and how they effect us, while Macca’s verse is about what is actually happening, it’s a list of thing that he did on that day, not necessarily any different than any other routine day. Most people need to find a healthy balance between these two parts to find some level of contentment. I feel like Neil has been chasing that balance his entire life. He can write a song about a friend overdosing or the imminent destruction of humanity due to war or pollution or he can write a song about dancing or his old car.

3. A Day in the Life...of the Dead

I thought a bit of an inversion would be a nice way to interpret this. When life is no longer about living and the days just blur together. The daily news of catastrophes, and our uninterrupted routines as the beat goes on.

(Picture from discogs because my phone is charging in the other room)

ODMtNzg5MC5qcGVn.jpeg
Tgt3Yw-ALZ1tFt-2OocM9FmN_NshmRiM0_5lbWie_8s.jpgtumblr_l4ostzEGms1qa4g7do1_500.jpg

2. The Thrill is Gone
Shpongle – Tales Of The Inexpressible
20220803_175554.jpg

The electronic party/rave scene was never really my thing until I moved to Victoria at age 25 and sort of stumbled into it. I started going to parties more for the people who were also going and the colourful costumes/decoration than the music itself. The parties I tended to favour at first were psytrance parties but I didn't really figure out what that meant until about six to nine months later. What really drove me deeper into the music was a weekly event another friend held at a yoga studio a block away from my downtown apartment where my broke hippie ass helped haul his gear up to the third-floor studio every week in exchange for free admission. Shpongle was definitely my fiercest favourite of all the new sounds I was hearing (it would be another couple of months before I'd piece together the fact that the same producer, as Hallucinogen, was also responsible for "Gamma Goblins" - my favourite track from the psytrance parties I'd been to!) From here, I jumped into the scene pretty hard, got way more into the music and wound up rockin' the CDJs pretty steadily myself ("Around The World In A Tea Daze" from this album was one of my staple go-to tracks) for four or five years until dubstep and dispersal of a few key members of the community radically changed up the vibe of the regional scene. Between that and really starting to notice and feel a severe lack of diversity and the incredible abundance of privilege and entitlement within that particular community I found myself shifting further and further away from the events and many of the people. I still love a lot of the music (though I haven't really followed the latest releases beyond a very small handful of artists for years now) and a very solid handful of really good friends I made along the way, some of whom still play and put on events. Besides two or three events or gatherings in the past twelve years, though, it's very much safe to say the thrill is gone.

Back