Audio Technica AT-LP7

You will need to set it and it varies from cartridge to cartridge in correspondence with the tracking force. Each turntable is slightly different in the methods and settings to accomplish it and it will be covered in the set up instructions in your manual.
I appreciate it. I thought I knew a decent amount about this hobby, but the more I search, the less I seem to know. How does VTF play into this, or is that a similar thing to counterweight?

I appreciate it. I thought I knew a decent amount about this hobby, but the more I search, the less I seem to know. How does VTF play into this, or is that a similar thing to counterweight?

VTA is the angle of the tonearm. It should be be parallel to the playing surface when you have it all set up and are playing a record. With a table like the AT it should be factory set for the bundle cartridge and mat. If you equipment like trying thicker mats or smaller/taller cartridges you may need to tweak it. It’s done by raising the arm up and down. The instructions on how to do this should be in the manual.

VTA is the angle of the tonearm. It should be be parallel to the playing surface when you have it all set up and are playing a record. With a table like the AT it should be factory set for the bundle cartridge and mat. If you equipment like trying thicker mats or smaller/taller cartridges you may need to tweak it. It’s done by raising the arm up and down. The instructions on how to do this should be in the manual.
VTF, Joe, VTF…
Yes VTF is tracking force, regulated with the counterweight. Each cart has a different VTF recommended. Get a cheap digital scale to set it up.

I’m sure I will have more questions with this new setup. I’ve had my Orbit around four years, so I haven’t had this advanced of a table.

Any particular recommendations for a scale?
Much like @Joe Mac mentioned for VTA, the VTF will be factory set to the mounted cart, so unless you want to change it, it shouldn’t be necessary to get one just now. Although it is good to have one around in any case. Hate to recommend Amazon, but yeah, get one from there.

Much like @Joe Mac mentioned for VTA, the VTF will be factory set to the mounted cart, so unless you want to change it, it shouldn’t be necessary to get one just now. Although it is good to have one around in any case. Hate to recommend Amazon, but yeah, get one from there.

Will it? Most turntables I’ve bought new come with the counterweight off the arm and I’ve had to set the tracking force?

I scale would still be good to have for the counterweight, correct? It has a dial on it, but a scale would be ideal to double check?

Will it? Most turntables I’ve bought new come with the counterweight off the arm and I’ve had to set the tracking force?
Yeah you’re probably right actually, forgot about that. On mine they had a O ring type of thing to mark where the counterweight was supposed to be set. Getting a cheap scale will help fine tune it to be sure

This looks to have three different dials?
View attachment 154366

The counterweight on the back of the arm sets the tracking force (VTF). It has numbers on it to set it, these are good approximations but to be dead accurate use a little scale like recommended above.

The little dial to the side sets the anti skate.

The dial underneath the arm lifts and lowers it and sets the tracking angle (VTA).

I think I got everything situated, however I feel like my tonearm is too high?

Attachments

• 37796547-8B2F-4A59-9BFA-7FFFCF39B2D6.jpeg
    37796547-8B2F-4A59-9BFA-7FFFCF39B2D6.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 3
The tracking force is accurate, so I had to move the tonearm up and down to get it there. I will assume that it is correct based off that?

If the tracking force is right and the tonearm is parallel to the playing surface when the needle is in the groove then you’re grand. It looks fine but the pic was just at a bit of an angle so I couldn’t tell conclusively!

Back