Audio Technica AT-LP7

Sparks_03

I’m looking at upgrading my U-Turn to the Audio Technica AT-LP7. I really like the design and features it comes with. What thoughts do people here have?

What cartridge are you planning to run on it?
I was eventually going to get to this topic once I got more info. I would probably use stock for a while until I decide where to go next. What is a good alternative to what it comes with?

With the stock cartridge, you can upgrade the stylus to different profiles for enhanced sound quality. I would not really recommend the internal pre amp for most MC cartridges, but it is a good starting point for MM cartridges, like the included one.

The turntable looks like very solid offering in the sub-$1000 range; I’ve got no quibbles. I like the thick plinth, the variable VTA and the digital speed control. Some reviews have said that the Schiit Mani is a preferable step up preamp, but I also have reservations about using it with most MC carts, which was the reason for my inquiry.

The only caveat might be with the dust cover. I prefer entirely removable dust covers, but some people find hinged models to be easier to find space for.

I’ve had a turntable for 3 years or so. I’ve never had to change out a stylus, so how do I know exactly what will work on the AT cartridge? As long as the stock is a good option for now, I’ll stick with it for awhile. I have heard good reviews about the Schiit Mani, and will probably go with that option. I really like my Ortofon 2M Red, but would really like to go with a blue assuming it would work on the audio technica.

I’ve had a turntable for 3 years or so. I’ve never had to change out a stylus, so how do I know exactly what will work on the AT cartridge? As long as the stock is a good option for now, I’ll stick with it for awhile. I have heard good reviews about the Schiit Mani, and will probably go with that option. I really like my Ortofon 2M Red, but would really like to go with a blue assuming it would work on the audio technica.
The VM line of cartridges has styli that are interchangeable. I have a 2M Blue and would definitely recommend it over the 2M Red for clarity and detail. You can swap a 2M Blue stylus onto the Red body for an upgrade. The 2M Blue gave me 80% of what my Nagaoka MP-300 does at less than half the price.

Depending on how much you use the U-Turn turntable, after about 3 years it could be time to check the stylus. 700 hours of use is reasonable lifespan of an elliptical stylus. Ortofon says up to 1000 hours for the 2M Red, but that seems aspirational to me. 700 hours is roughly 1000 LP plays, on both sides.

Given that the LP7 has adjustable VTA (aka tonearm height), you should not have problems mounting the Ortofon 2M.

Last edited:
I have right around 500 albums catalogued on discogs, so that’s everything that has been listened to. I’m probably getting close to a styles change. Is there any particular stylus I would need for the AT, or would any blue work on that cartridge?

For the AT, look for these VM series styli:

The VMN30EN would be a comparable stylus to the 2M Blue stylus for the AT VM-series.

For more info on stylus types, see below. The stylus on the supplied cart with the LP7 is an elliptical bonded stylus, hence the EB designation. This is the same stylus type as on the Ortofon 2M Red.

Last edited:
I appreciate the patience and info on teaching this newb. I like my U-Turn, but I want something more. I like the Pioneer PLX1000, but I think I would like the AT better.

I appreciate the patience and info on teaching this newb. I like my U-Turn, but I want something more. I like the Pioneer PLX1000, but I think I would like the AT better.
I have the PLX-1000 and have enjoyed it a lot. It, too, is a big step up from the U-Turn. I have not compared it to the LP7, but I don’t see any reason why either choice would not be very satisfying. I specifically chose the PLX-1000 because I wanted a direct drive turntable since my primary turntable is a belt-driven unit. I wanted something different.

I have the PLX-1000 and have enjoyed it a lot. It, too, is a big step up from the U-Turn. I have not compared it to the LP7, but I don’t see any reason why either choice would not be very satisfying. I specifically chose the PLX-1000 because I wanted a direct drive turntable since my primary turntable is a belt-driven unit. I wanted something different.
I think this is one of the reasons why I have grown to despise my U-Turn. I am subscribed to VMP, and my 45’s just sit in the queue. It’s such an annoyance to change from 33 to 45 and then back. Being able to do this simple task with a button would be so much more convenient. I’ll probably go with the AT route, and then pick a stylus somewhere down the road. I’m assuming based off price, the stock cart and stylus is comparable to a 2M Red?

I think this is one of the reasons why I have grown to despise my U-Turn. I am subscribed to VMP, and my 45’s just sit in the queue. It’s such an annoyance to change from 33 to 45 and then back. Being able to do this simple task with a button would be so much more convenient. I’ll probably go with the AT route, and then pick a stylus somewhere down the road. I’m assuming based off price, the stock cart and stylus is comparable to a 2M Red?
Yes, they should be comparable but probably don’t sound exactly alike due to the different bodies and “engines”.

Also, the PLX-1000 does not have a built in preamp as the LP7 does. The PLX-500 does, but it has lesser build quality compared to the PLX-1000 and the LP7.

Yes, they should be comparable but probably don’t sound exactly alike due to the different bodies and “engines”.
Awesome, hopefully I can get it ordered in the near future and try and sell off my current table. I will probably order the Shiit preamp for this table. I use Klipsch Sixes that include an amp, but I would prefer something external.

The Schiit Mani 2 is really hard to beat at its price point. The Mani 2 was a nice improvement over the original Mani.

Not for nothing, while you figure out what table you want to upgrade to… here’s a little trick:

I went ahead and ordered the AT turntable. I know how to adjust counterweight, but how will I know if anti-skate needs to be adjusted or how much to set it to? I don’t think my U-Turn had that capability.

I went ahead and ordered the AT turntable. I know how to adjust counterweight, but how will I know if anti-skate needs to be adjusted or how much to set it to? I don’t think my U-Turn had that capability.

You will need to set it and it varies from cartridge to cartridge in correspondence with the tracking force. Each turntable is slightly different in the methods and settings to accomplish it and it will be covered in the set up instructions in your manual.

Back