Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

High output MC will work with a standard MM phono input.
I have set up my LT. It’s the first time I’ve set up a cart so I’m pretty nervous about getting it right.

I’m a little confused by this bit about the MC cart in the MM phono input. I see that the 1000LT is high output, so impedance should be approx 47k, and the MM input should also be 47k.

But my phono preamp (Elac PPA-2) has MC and MM inputs, and the MC are variable. Is there any reason the MC input would be better for the 1000LT than the MM? Greater adjustability and micro adjustment? Or does the high oI-it as-etc negate the MM/MC distinction for purposes of phono input?

I have set up my LT. It’s the first time I’ve set up a cart so I’m pretty nervous about getting it right.

I’m a little confused by this bit about the MC cart in the MM phono input. I see that the 1000LT is high output, so impedance should be approx 47k, and the MM input should also be 47k.

But my phono preamp (Elac PPA-2) has MC and MM inputs, and the MC are variable. Is there any reason the MC input would be better for the 1000LT than the MM? Greater adjustability and micro adjustment? Or does the high oI-it as-etc negate the MM/MC distinction for purposes of phono input?

Unless your MC input has an option for 47k ohms then it’s the wrong input. And even then given this is a high output MC the gain might be too much. On almost all phono stages this one will go into the MM inputs.

I tried it, just to see what the difference was. You can put the volume past 2-3% on the MC side. It’s built to not need the volume gain that a “normal” MC cart needs.

Does anyone who bought the SAE 1000LT have a Mofi Ultra Deck? I’ve set my 1000LT up on my UD and everything seems correct or very close to it, and it sounds good to me.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out where the antiskate o-ring should go. I’ve read a lot and watched a bunch of videos, including Soundsmith, but I can’t tell any difference when I move the o-ring around. I’m assuming moving the o-ring away from the headshell is increasing antiskate. Is that correct?

Does anyone who bought the SAE 1000LT have a Mofi Ultra Deck? I’ve set my 1000LT up on my UD and everything seems correct or very close to it, and it sounds good to me.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out where the antiskate o-ring should go. I’ve read a lot and watched a bunch of videos, including Soundsmith, but I can’t tell any difference when I move the o-ring around. I’m assuming moving the o-ring away from the headshell is increasing antiskate. Is that correct?
The further out the o-ring sits, the greater the anti-skate force - think of it as a longer lever.

At the moment, I have mine set to the innermost notch, closest to the tonearm - per the manual, this first notch is for carts between 4-6g, and the SAE clocks in at 4.7g.

The further out the o-ring sits, the greater the anti-skate force - think of it as a longer lever.

At the moment, I have mine set to the innermost notch, closest to the tonearm - per the manual, this first notch is for carts between 4-6g, and the SAE clocks in at 4.7g.
Thank you. That’s where I had it based on the Soundsmith video, but I’d forgotten to look at the Mofi specs. Noob. As mentioned above, it’s my first time ever setting up a cart.

It’s a stressful process at first!
Indeed. I went really slowly. Mounting the SAE w hardware for the threadless external sleeve/connection to headshell was the hardest part, I used the Mofi Geo-Disc for alignment, which put the cart is about 80% toward the back of the headshell, which means the wires extend a bit bc the heat shrink tubing is pretty long.

Indeed. I went really slowly. Mounting the SAE w hardware for the threadless external sleeve/connection to headshell was the hardest part, I used the Mofi Geo-Disc for alignment, which put the cart is about 80% toward the back of the headshell, which means the wires extend a bit bc the heat shrink tubing is pretty long.
I posted in the other thread a shortcut that helped me get the SAE seated with my UltraDeck, though I suppose it’s a bit late to help you now.

Glad you got it sorted out, though. Hope you enjoy the cart!

My SAE box was handed to me tonight by the post office lady. The eBay seller put the wrong PO Box on my label! I checked my PayPal and it wasn’t in my settings. So I got the carts 2 weeks later. The people at Box 302 opened the box even though my name is on it. :rolleyes:

At least they are here and I can mount one on a new headshell that arrived over a week ago.

good score! i ended up using a 15% off coupon from DeepDiscount. Free shipping, so the total with tax was around $140–not a massive deal, but better than nothing!
I didn't know DeepDiscount stocked AT carts. That's awesome to know. 15% coupons come relatively frequently from them. Wish they stocked the Funk Firm Achromat - that's likely my next hardware purchase!

Back