April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 7: “…they’ll hang it in the Louvre
your favourite album artwork/cover

My favorite album cover is probably London Calling. I don’t have that on vinyl yet though. So here’s an honorable mention

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

The effect is more noticeable in person, but I love optical illusion of this cover as the patterns slowly move and pulsate. Fits the music perfectly.

050C84DA-AC7A-4B42-8318-01FE288067D2.jpeg

Day 7: “...they’ll hang it in the Louvre” - Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre.
Show us your favourite album cover!

Nicolas Jaar "Space Is Only Noise" (2011 Circus Records; original pressing with all the tracks)

Not sure if this is my favorite, but I love the image on this and I wanted to play it. At first glance, because the image is black and white, the ground looks like it's the Moon. But then, there's a baby. What's it doing there? Oh, this is not the Moon, just a dirt ground. And there's a road. But where is the Mother? And there are tire tracks too! Isn't it dangerous for the baby? WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?

IMG_1415.JPG

I figured The Scottish challenge would have been easier. Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Frightened Rabbit, Teenage Fanclub, Travis, Franz Ferdinand, Aztec Camera, The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Bay City Rollers. etc... etc... etc...
One of the Proclaimers (not sure which one, haha) lived close to where I caught the bus in Scotland and I’d always see him walking his dog.

Day 07: “...they’ll hang it in the Louvre Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre”
Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High
1D4B6DA1-50F4-4449-8DD7-9F7A91883FBE.jpeg
The Funk-lite City Pop on this album is top notch but what initially drew me to this album was the album art. The image is just perfectly of it’s place and time. If you’re unfamiliar it’s worth checking out. The album features Tower of Power on Horns, Chuck Rainey killing the Bass, and Patrice Rushen wonderful keyboard play. A great album.

Day 07: “...they’ll hang it in the Louvre Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre”
Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High
View attachment 94678
The Funk-lite City Pop on this album is top notch but what initially drew me to this album was the album art. The image is just perfectly of it’s place and time. If you’re unfamiliar it’s worth checking out. The album features Tower of Power on Horns, Chuck Rainey killing the Bass, and Patrice Rushen wonderful keyboard play. A great album.

This was unexpected, my teenage son liked it!

Young Thug - Jeffery

One of my favorite album covers for one of my favorite albums of the last five years or so. Already iconic cover and actually displayed in a museum.

IMG_20210407_175052.jpg

Day 7 - “…they’ll hang it in the Louvre

20210407_182123.jpg

Madonna - True Blue

I love simple covers of the artist. Something about them are just so mesmerizing!

This one specifically just feels so beautiful, really captures how captivating Madonna is as a pop star

Other examples are
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Whits Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan
Fugees - The Score
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
St Vincent - St Vincent

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

DC50A2BE-81BB-438F-A502-09D7FDC3E193.jpeg

This is such an iconic cover and for a long time I thought it was a painting. I guess the story is that the photographer saw this girl walking with her mother and offered $100 to take a picture.

Day 5 - 404_ALBUM_NOT_FOUND

Catching up after my week back to work after having 12 days off....and it seems like the covid numbers are going back up a bit here, so that's depressing.

...and it seems my pick of Buckingham Nicks was scooped by @Kris, so I'll have to pick something else.

I see this on a few Spotify playlists, but the tracks are currently greyed out, so I take it that it got pulled at some point.

Samhain ‎– Initium
Plan 9/Caroline Records ‎– PL9-04, 1986/1989

Cut by Phil Austin at Trutone Mastering Labs
Pressed at Europadisk

jnqBtY.jpg

m0nfCs.jpg

Back