April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 28: In Full Bloom
play a record that sounds like spring

Sturgill Simpson- Cuttin’ Grass Vol. 1

A few weeks ago my wife and I took a trip to a little town called Gruene, Texas. We got to sit outside, drink, and listen to lots of live music. Mostly country, blues and bluegrass artists. The weather... was incredible the entire time. Perfect spring weather for Texas. This album is really bringing me back to that weekend.

B6B3DEEC-CC3D-4DD6-A345-90B6802803C9.jpeg

Associating music to seasons isn't really my way of associating, but I think this one really has a lot of themes and sonics that align. High energy, a lot of areas of transition, hope, excitement, and a general emergence from hibernation into a frenzy. I get a feeling a lot of people will be feeling like she did on this record this Spring and Summer

Alex Lahey - I Love You Like A Brother

PXL_20210428_160246567.jpg

Day 22 - Genre Adultery
Small Bills - Don't Play It Straight

Ha, I'm terrible at this category outside of a couple I've used before. This album strikes me as a significant departure because of how far the Lasso's production leans into funk and dance, which E L U C I D meets by putting more melody and singing into his delivery. I dig it.

PXL_20210428_164018578.jpg

Last edited:
Day 22 - Genre Adultery
Small Bills - Don't Play It Straight

Ha, I'm terrible at this category outside of a couple I've used before. This album strikes me as a significant departure because of how far the Lasso's production leans into funk and dance, which E L U C I D meets by putting more melody and singing into his delivery. I dig it.

View attachment 97288
A842B620-045B-4305-84EF-1BDCD73D1A02.gif

Great Grandpa - Four of Arrows

There's a song called "Bloom" on here that's as optimistic and bright as spring should be.

20200723_120341_hdr-jpg.58088

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
1DC24E28-AB8B-48B4-B352-C42AC7BD3E95.jpeg
An Ambient electric album from the 1980s inspired by nature. Feels like the score to a nature documentary about the great deciduous forests of North America stirring back so life after their long Winter slumber [imagine that last bit being read by Sir David Attenborough]

Back