April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 14: Nice Package - your favourite record packaging

Jenny Lewis "On The Line" (2019 Warner, limited edition with fold-out cover)

Went with this one today, which opens to a 4-panel full body photo (reminiscent of the classic Isaac Hayes "Black Moses" packaging in some ways, which was a toss-up with this one for today).

View attachment 95608

View attachment 95607

Also, this is a Chris Bellman-cut Pallas pressing, for the audiophiles out there.

I've been revisiting the CTE discography lately (our tastes seem to overlap a bunch 👀) and I've been a defender of this album for a bit, but in hindsight it really is their worst. I still don't think it's as bad as some people do but it does lack a lot of personality. Social Cues was better overall, but I'm hoping they bring back some of the heaviness on their next one.

Yeah I have noticed we have alot in common! It's pretty cool!!

I've been listening to them alot the past few weeks and my order for their discography almost completely changed. I was really disappointed by social cues when it first came out but now I absolutely love it! Would love more "rock" out or them soon but I'm still happy with the majority of their output

Yeah I have noticed we have alot in common! It's pretty cool!!

I've been listening to them alot the past few weeks and my order for their discography almost completely changed. I was really disappointed by social cues when it first came out but now I absolutely love it! Would love more "rock" out or them soon but I'm still happy with the majority of their output
Yea Social Cues definitely got better the more I listened to it. It's funny because they followed an album I liked initially but didn't hold up on repeated listening (TMIP) with one that I didn't care for at first that grew on me! Melophobia is still my favorite since it's the perfect blend between the heavier sound of their first two albums and the kind of psychedelic pop/rock of their last two. I'd like them to have that sort of balance in their sound again, but like you I'll probably be happy any way they go (unless they link up with Dan Auerbach again obviously 😅)

Day 11: Black Sheep

Besides the 2 dub-step albums they released, this is usually thought of as their worst album. I can say I don't like those 2 dub-step albums more that this one, but at least they tried to something.

Korn ‎– Untitled
Virgin ‎– 509995 01484 1 7, 2007

Cut by Ron McMaster
Pressed at Rainbo

croXDe.jpg

7u1rEQ.jpg

Day 14: Nice Package

Your favourite packaging on a record. Box set, singular album, anything...

Neil Young's Tonight's The Night is a song cycle about the life and death of the junkie and the human and emotional wreckage they leave behind. As the music illustrates the slow, inevitable decay, Neil put together an LP package true to the theme.

Original pressings of Tonight's The Night came housed in a jacket made of thick blotter paper. They're very soft, suede-like and delicate. Just like the junkie, the more you 'used' Tonight's The Night, the faster the package decayed. This is why original copies are so hard to find in decent shape.

First pic - an original copy in really nice shape considering it's 46 years on this earth.

20210415_002236.jpg

Subsequent pics - a copy that lived fast and hard; spine completely gone, a chunk missing in the back. At this point the jacket feels like thick toilet paper.

20210415_002543.jpg
20210415_002455.jpg

Last edited:
Day 12: Multilingual

This is the 2nd German language album Peter Gabriel released along side the English language version. I usually listen to the german version of "3 / Melt" more often, but this one isn't too bad, either.

Peter Gabriel ‎– Deutsches Album
Charisma ‎– 6302 221, 1982

German language
German pressing

Cut at PRS Hannover

ne2Rgy.jpg

PsH0xD.jpg

Day 13: Trainwreckord

I could have gone with a quite a few 70's bands that had some clunkers when the '80's rolled in. Some went too Disco, some went too synth.

Some did well, but most failed. They attempted to save this album by tacking on Under Pressure that was released the year prior as a single.

Queen ‎– Hot Space
Elektra ‎– E1-60128, 1982

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Allied

qM2KV4.jpg

oVu2rL.jpg

Day 15: Free Parking Play
Exactly as it says. Go nuts!

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - She’s The One Soundtrack

505F0FDE-D2A6-40A0-B233-0174DA05F450.jpeg

Got this yesterday after having it on my wish list for a while. It popped up as being available for a brief moment last week. “Walls” and “California” are two of my all-time favorite Petty songs.

Day 15: Free Parking Play
Exactly as it says. Go nuts!

Well, let's take one from the "clean but not played" pile, and it feels fitting for the them. Definitely Jack Johnson's spin on a children's album that is has a lot of themes of fun and fair play involved. It works independently as a listen too, which is a testament to JJ's voice and demeanor and the surprisingly high quality of the songs given the material.

This one is here also because I've been trying to at least get the Jack Johnson albums I have some stronger sentimental feeling for. Sneakily, he's in my Top 10 most listened to artists in my adult life and while Sleep Through the Static has been known as a really tough find, some of his other releases (this one and On and On) are becoming a bit harder to find, so now seemed like a good time to scoop up the copy my Barnes and Noble had. Once I grab In Between Dreams and maybe En Concert I think I'll be happy with what I got.

Jack Johnson And Friends – Sing-A-Longs And Lullabies For The Film Curious George

PXL_20210415_150742217.jpg

Day 14: Nice Package
your favourite record packaging

Menomena - Friend and Foe

When the box with all my CD art and cases got lost in a move, this was one of the reasons I was sad (along with my Superman Sufjan booklet!). The art has a big spin wheel and changes what shows through the holes in the cover, with a little something for each song on the album, plus more. It's all obviously a bit more impressive in LP size!

20200512_181507-jpg.46556

Back