Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc.

What’s everyone think of the new A Winged Victory For The Sullen?

Personally it’s fine. My expectations were too high honestly. I do wish it was more droney rather than very classical. I want it more sparse and more empty. Still missing that magic that their first LP had.

Fyi Global Communication 76:14 is being reissued by MOV next month

Never heard this before. Tried a few tracks...instant love! Almost akin to Boards of Canada.

Will definitely get this when it drops!

This new Hammock album is gorgeous.

i never really got into Hammock, 1) because they have a massive body of work and 2) because the guitar being the main instrument for the majority of their albums is not my thing. From what I’ve listened to, it’s more like chill out instrumental rather than ambient drone. Do they have albums that are more similar to Stars of the Lid?

Crosspost from Fresh Grabs.

A trio of dark, arctic ambient/drone albums by German artist Thomas Köner. Clockwise from top left: Nunatak Gongamur (1990), Teimo (1992) and Permafrost (1993).

These are the 2010 Type reissues of his first three albums, originally released on the Dutch label Barooni.

Nunatak was recorded using only electronically controlled gongs.

C7C83AA3-AAB4-4DE7-9BF4-2065573B4E0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Crosspost from Fresh Grabs.

A trio of dark, arctic ambient/drone albums by German artist Thomas Köner. Clockwise from top left: Nunatak Gongamur (1990), Teimo (1992) and Permafrost (1993).

These are the 2010 Type reissues of his first three albums, originally released on the Dutch label Barooni.

Nunatak was recorded using only electronically controlled gongs.

View attachment 29802
Soon you can add a new one to that collection

Soon you can add a new one to that collection

His recent stuff is pretty good, and I like the song that’s up for this album. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely give the full album a listen when it’s released.

Really hoping for vinyl releases of Aubrite (1995) and Kaamos (1998).

So, advice needed.

One of my wife's friends is unloading her records. I know she has a bunch by a noise group called Whitehouse. I've checked out a few tracks and I think I definitely need some of this in my life.

Any albums I should be looking for in particular when digging?

So, advice needed.

One of my wife's friends is unloading her records. I know she has a bunch by a noise group called Whitehouse. I've checked out a few tracks and I think I definitely need some of this in my life.

Any albums I should be looking for in particular when digging?

Erector is the gold standard for Whitehouse, and I would put Thank Your Lucky Stars up there too.

If you prefer your noise to be digital instead of analog and really want to push to the extreme, check out Mummy and Daddy. But don’t say I didn’t warn you — definitely the definition of “difficult listening.”

Back