Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc.

dropsonde

I need to share about a phenomenal meditative album, The Cinder Grove, I've discovered by Oakland artist Chuck Johnson. What makes the album really interesting is his use of pedal steel guitar as the foundation of his sound palette with strings, electronics and piano. I was expecting it to sound Southwestern-y, and while it does in some passages when he lets that steel guitar wail or glide between notes, it still completely works. But really he keeps the guitar grounded in spacey, slow-moving, rich instrumental music. The album features Sarah Davachi on piano. One of my favorite ambient albums of 2021 so far. Give it a listen!

Last edited:

Dtknuckles

I need to share about a phenomenal meditative album, The Cinder Grove, I've discovered by Oakland artist Chuck Johnson. What makes the album really interesting is his use of pedal steel guitar as the foundation of his sound palette among strings, electronics and piano. I was expecting it to sound Southwestern-y, and while maybe it does in some passages when he lets that steel guitar wail or glide between notes, it still completely works. But really he keeps the guitar firmly grounded in spacey, slow-moving, rich instrumental music. The album features Sarah Davachi on piano. One of my favorite ambient albums of 2021 so far. Give it a listen!

Ha! I’ve been listing to this album. I’ve bought multiple records from this label. Great music, packaging and pressings. Usually in the mail the day of ordering.

Dtknuckles

I’ve had the hot jamz fever.

This is what I’ve ordered from the three labels that guy runs

Dtknuckles

@dropsonde

Not the same label, but (I think this is the only place you can get this record in the us customs free.

dropsonde

@dropsonde

Not the same label, but (I think this is the only place you can get this record in the us customs free.

Thanks, I’ll check ‘em out!

Santi Chacin

Posted in the Pre-Order Thread, but worthy of it's own post here.

This new Sufjan is actually pretty decent if you like droning ambient.

it reminds me of Eno's Music for Films meets Belong's October Language

i was a pretty big fan of the ascension last year, even if some people didn’t like it.

seeing all the descriptions surrounding this project are making me excited to dig into this!! will probably pre-order it soon as well

wokeupnew

i was a pretty big fan of the ascension last year, even if some people didn’t like it.

seeing all the descriptions surrounding this project are making me excited to dig into this!! will probably pre-order it soon as well
I wasn’t a huge fan of The Ascension, overall, but the title track from it is one of Sufjan’s best songs. I’m excited about this one because my expectations were very low thinking it would be a lot like Aporia or more straightforward electronic like The Ascension. The fact he went more ambient is so unexpected.