Amazon Record Club - Golden Era of Vinyl

I mean, unironically yes.

There was a time as a teenager that I did not know who The Clash were, only knew The Beatles by the Ed Sullivan stuff, and had only heard of Pink Floyd because a guy in m school had one of their t shirts. I didn't come pre-equipped with the knowledge of the classics, and my CD collection back then would be humorous and shameful today. I went on a long and amazing journey of musical discovery that is still progressing- there is a new generation of teenagers and college kids who are going to open The Wall and London Calling for the first time and have their entire world opened up. I'm excited for them.
I totally get that xkcd "today's 10000" thing, but this seems more aimed at a more moneyed crowd and feels like a cash grab.

I totally get that xkcd "today's 10000" thing, but this seems more aimed at a more moneyed crowd and feels like a cash grab.
Isn’t vinyl in general aimed at a moneyed crowd nowadays? This seems more aimed at people starting out their record collections. I mean…if they are charging $25 for a BG cut version of The Wall, that isn’t such a bad deal. I have tons of records and I would have purchased that had I known earlier. I mean, VMP now is charging what…$40+ for a Doors LP? And everything they sell is the “definitive version” not because of how it’s cut but often just because it’s a color variant…

Yea I tried it too to get the BG version of The Wall and now it’s this:

Amazon product ASIN B00XDCB93Y
What is the return process like? Can you cancel right from your order screen, or would I have to wait for a record to arrive and then start a return process? I'd like to pull the handle on this Amazon Goshapon Record Machine, but I have a very good sounding copy of London Calling already. The curiosity on what else my may throw on there has my button pressing finger feelin itchy.

What is the return process like? Can you cancel right from your order screen, or would I have to wait for a record to arrive and then start a return process? I'd like to pull the handle on this Amazon Goshapon Record Machine, but I have a very good sounding copy of London Calling already. The curiosity on what else my may throw on there has my button pressing finger feelin itchy.
I hit order, then went to my order page and it showed what album it was. Immediately cancelled and wasn’t charged.

this one appears to be a MOV pressing of it I think?

So, hot take incoming, but I think this club is probably a better value than most other record clubs to most people. Like, I'm not sure how many people have since it's an album most people own, but when was the last time you looked for a copy of The Wall at a record store or online for purchase but $25 would be a great price for any copy of that album in passable condition. London Calling is similar. If Amazon starts dipping into the represses of albums frequently available for $5-10 at LRS then maybe my thoughts change.

I mean, if I had a kid or an adult friend who was just getting into vinyl and wanted to get them a record club subscription, I'd much rather get them things like The Wall or London Calling or Black Sabbath on newer, fresh pressings that have a decent chance of playing well on an entry level turntable than whatever VMP or Magnolia or Secretly are offering in a given month unless I know the person is going to be heavily into the curation/genres of those clubs. Like, I think Secretly's been killing it on their curation recently for my tastes, but I'd guess that if you are going blind into it, more people would enjoy a copy of London Calling over a copy of the new Sharon Van Etten (and I love SVE). It runs $18 less per month than a new monthly VMP subscription, and $1-3 cheaper per month a new Magnolia subscription, $4 cheaper than a new Bandbox subscription, and these are services I see definitely have value.

To each their own of course. I think TTWD is 100% right in that there are, especially to a real subset of younger collectors, a LOT of value in LE, colorways, exclusives, etc. that may even outweigh the other details. This isn't for those folks really. Force me to guess and I bet Amazon is aiming this at people who don't know much about vinyl, remember the music they love from that era, and want to pass on their music to others in that way. Not a bad model IMO.

So, hot take incoming, but I think this club is probably a better value than most other record clubs to most people. Like, I'm not sure how many people have since it's an album most people own, but when was the last time you looked for a copy of The Wall at a record store or online for purchase but $25 would be a great price for any copy of that album in passable condition. London Calling is similar. If Amazon starts dipping into the represses of albums frequently available for $5-10 at LRS then maybe my thoughts change.

I mean, if I had a kid or an adult friend who was just getting into vinyl and wanted to get them a record club subscription, I'd much rather get them things like The Wall or London Calling or Black Sabbath on newer, fresh pressings that have a decent chance of playing well on an entry level turntable than whatever VMP or Magnolia or Secretly are offering in a given month unless I know the person is going to be heavily into the curation/genres of those clubs. Like, I think Secretly's been killing it on their curation recently for my tastes, but I'd guess that if you are going blind into it, more people would enjoy a copy of London Calling over a copy of the new Sharon Van Etten (and I love SVE). It runs $18 less per month than a new monthly VMP subscription, and $1-3 cheaper per month a new Magnolia subscription, $4 cheaper than a new Bandbox subscription, and these are services I see definitely have value.

To each their own of course. I think TTWD is 100% right in that there are, especially to a real subset of younger collectors, a LOT of value in LE, colorways, exclusives, etc. that may even outweigh the other details. This isn't for those folks really. Force me to guess and I bet Amazon is aiming this at people who don't know much about vinyl, remember the music they love from that era, and want to pass on their music to others in that way. Not a bad model IMO.
Yep there’s a gift option on the Amazon sub which seems to be pretty prominent, so I think you’re right. It’s more for people getting into vinyl or who want to get other people into vinyl. If I had a niece/nephew or a kid who wanted to start their own collection, for $25 it’s not a bad deal at all IMO considering the pressings they are selling. I think the bandbox model isn’t all that different and that has value for the same kinds of people. It’s not really trying to mask what the service is—classic albums from popular bands from that era. I bet lots of people starting out don’t have these albums. If they start marking up prices and selling Grey market jazz records or something that’s a different story. But from what I’ve seen it’s a pretty decent deal so far, Amazon hate aside.

This is coming from an old person but is "curating" classic rock that you hear on the radio, or satellite radio, or spotify, or wherever isn't really curating anything. I mean I know there are folks out there that maybe haven't heard The Wall or London Calling but I'm assuming those are mostly younger people. So really then what is this about? Anyone can google "important albums of the 60's and 70's" and come up with a list that will cover whatever you get in your subscription and is Amazon "curating" quality pressings? I doubt that.

I guess I'm just saying words have no meaning anymore.

I mean I know there are folks out there that maybe haven't heard The Wall or London Calling but I'm assuming those are mostly younger people.
And this is exactly who it’s for. It’s not for most of us here but for people just getting into vinyl who don’t have the “classics”. And with the rising costs of used records, it’s not a huge overpay.

Last edited:
And this is exactly who it’s for. It’s not for most of us here but for people just getting into vinyl who don’t have the “classics”. And with the rising costs of used records, it’s not a huge overpay.

but they could just use a search engine to find this stuff out. so either they're being fed something they don't really want to eat or people are just too lazy to spend 10 minutes looking for something readily accessible on their own. i don't get it and i guess i'm not going to.

To your point, let's say a younger person self-curates wanting the best of the era and comes up with The Wall and London Calling and Masters of Reality. Going to Discogs, filtering for U.S. Sellers/Shipped + VG+ Condition minimum before shipping

The Wall: $28 before shipping
London Calling: $28 before Shipping
Master of Reality: $30 before shipping

This is cheaper than self-curating those albums at this point. Now, if next month they start putting up Sweet Baby James or No Secrets or any other album with readily available $5 copies in bins and on Discogs this may change, but I spend a good amount of time in record stores and finding a good copy of at least The Wall or London Calling for cheap isn't reality right now.

I wouldn't really say the club is curation by any real terms but man, I'm looking at people getting a $15-$20 Merle Haggard or Sturgill Simpson record for $40+ for a different colorway and limited pressing with seam splits and massive warping or locked grooves and thinking I'd much rather take the chance on $25 stone cold classics with Amazon's super easy return and cancel policies.

but they could just use a search engine to find this stuff out. so either they're being fed something they don't really want to eat or people are just too lazy to spend 10 minutes looking for something readily accessible on their own. i don't get it and i guess i'm not going to.
And this “club” is cheaper than any available good pressing really elsewhere. Even cheaper than if you bought it on Amazon itself. I think you underestimate how lazy people are haha. Look at how many VMP subscribers there are.

again, this really isn’t geared toward most of us here. I agree with your points largely and you’re not wrong. But there’s definitely a market for this.

Nearly my entire CD collection is comprised of almost exclusively classic rock or music that was released pre-1990. But classic rock makes up a pretty small percentage of my vinyl collection.

As someone newer to the hobby, I’ve put off getting a lot of those classic albums just because of how familiar I am with them. I’ve been way more interested in discovering new stuff or expanding my jazz collection. So this could be perfect for me to finally go back and get these records I love and adore for cheap. Can’t really complain.

Nearly my entire CD collection is comprised of almost exclusively classic rock or music that was released pre-1990. But classic rock makes up a pretty small percentage of my vinyl collection.

As someone newer to the hobby, I’ve put off getting a lot of those classic albums just because of how familiar I am with them. I’ve been way more interested in discovering new stuff or expanding my jazz collection. So this could be perfect for me to finally go back and get these records I love and adore for cheap. Can’t really complain.
This is me right here. I've heard The Wall so many damn times that I don't want to pay $38 for it. And when I'm at a record store, I always find new albums I'm interested in other than the classics. Would I pay $25 for that copy of The Wall? yeah, sure. I hate the Amazon's business model. I spend a shitload of money at my local record stores. But, a deal's a deal. This record club is inoffensive at most.

This is me right here. I've heard The Wall so many damn times that I don't want to pay $38 for it. And when I'm at a record store, I always find new albums I'm interested in other than the classics. Would I pay $25 for that copy of The Wall? yeah, sure. I hate the Amazon's business model. I spend a shitload of money at my local record stores. But, a deal's a deal. This record club is inoffensive at most.
Yea I’m not shifting money from small shops over to Amazon. I’m just spending more money 😂😂

I’m just a bit unsure which pressing it is!
Can you just send back like regular Amazon? I suppose not going in on it will save you having The Card Cheat stuck in your head for about a year though.

Back