Amazon Record Club - Golden Era of Vinyl

when are we going to get the other tracks like "alternative"... or are we just waiting on UO for that

Got my copy of the Wall in on Friday. Got around to spinning it today to find that there were 2 LP2's in it, and no LP1. Easy swap out with Amazon though. Not sure I'll stick with this unless it's a pretty good discount on future albums. Doesn't seem like that big of a price drop for Black Sabbath.

I do like the idea of it for upgrading some of the versions of classics that I have though that were garage sale / estate sales / used record finds found for cheap, and play like it.

Preemptive disclaimer - I'm an old. curmudgeonly bastard who bought his first LP in 1973 (I still have it) and this is just my 2¢...

The issue here isn't that Amazon - as heinous as they can be - has the gall to peddle standard versions of LPs as a music discovery club. The issue is most sectors of the industry have put the music in the back seat to such an extent that many folks put more stock in the packaging/color/number/exclusivity of a pressing than they do the actual record.

Shhhh - don't tell anyone, but all this limited this and numbered that, it's just a big money grab.

This is everything that's wrong with vinyl today. In many cases, it's more about the pageantry of owning a record for the exclusivity of the product, not for what the artist put their blood, sweat and tears into - the music that's actually in the grooves.

When I grew up, the question was "Do you have that record and is it good?", not "Which color variant do you have and how limited is that pressing?".

Times change. People change. Priorities change. But if you're truly into this thing for the music, focus on what's in the grooves, not how the grooves are packaged.

Last edited:
VMP could release a $57 white vinyl edition of The Wall and this still not feel a whiff of competition from this. That’s a different problem though.

But this is indeed for these kind of collectors. The TikTokers collecting for clout. Speaking of things that sound like clout, I see a cloud I’m gonna go yell at

View attachment 102039
Kaiser Chiefs seems like the most random band to throw in there with the rest of those. Haven't thought of them in a long time

but this isn't for people like us. This is for new collectors specifically getting into classic rock or building a library of the basics
This is the crux of it right here, someone at Amazon finally saw the news that vinyl is back "IN A BIG WAY!" [invoked with sarcastic excitement]

The TikTokers collecting for clout
.......and this is also inevitable, lol

Got my copy of the Wall in on Friday. Got around to spinning it today to find that there were 2 LP2's in it, and no LP1. Easy swap out with Amazon though. Not sure I'll stick with this unless it's a pretty good discount on future albums. Doesn't seem like that big of a price drop for Black Sabbath.

I do like the idea of it for upgrading some of the versions of classics that I have though that were garage sale / estate sales / used record finds found for cheap, and play like it.
This is why I signed up, along with the simplicity of cancellations/returns. When I first picked up my classics I didn't mind the scratches, pops and tattered sleeves...in some ways that was part of the fun. But now I get a little sad when some of my favorites are in some of the worst condition of my collection. If Amazon wants to send me a well-priced replacement I'm not going to complain.

ah yes, amazon getting some young fans for these new unknown bands like queen, the beatles, elton john, metallica, and gorillaz

I mean, unironically yes.

There was a time as a teenager that I did not know who The Clash were, only knew The Beatles by the Ed Sullivan stuff, and had only heard of Pink Floyd because a guy in m school had one of their t shirts. I didn't come pre-equipped with the knowledge of the classics, and my CD collection back then would be humorous and shameful today. I went on a long and amazing journey of musical discovery that is still progressing- there is a new generation of teenagers and college kids who are going to open The Wall and London Calling for the first time and have their entire world opened up. I'm excited for them.

Preemptive disclaimer - I'm an old. curmudgeonly bastard who bought his first LP in 1973 (I still have it) and this is just my 2¢...

The issue here isn't that Amazon - as heinous as they can be - has the gall to peddle standard versions of LPs as a music discovery club. The issue is most sectors of the industry have put the music in the back seat to such an extent that many folks put more stock in the packaging/color/number/exclusivity of a pressing than they do the actual record.

Shhhh - don't tell anyone, but all this limited this and numbered that, it's just a big money grab.

This is everything that's wrong with vinyl today. In many cases, it's more about the pageantry of owning a record for the exclusivity of the product, not for what the artist put their blood, sweat and tears into - the music that's actually in the grooves.

When I grew up, the question was "Do you have that record and is it good?", not "Which color variant do you have and how limited is that pressing?".

Times change. People change. Priorities change. But if you're truly into this thing for the music, focus on what's in the grooves, not how the grooves are packaged.

I feel like in the age of endless music streaming and discovery, the alternative to complaining about the appeal of physical media being it's collectability would be "why does no one buy physical albums anymore"

Like the post I referenced above, the pitfall of almost every generation in this hobby is the failure to accept the next. When you grew up, the question was 'do you have that record and is it good?" because that was the only way to hear that music. Today you can own a digital copy or have it on your Spotify playlist anywhere, and owning the LP is more of a secondary, collectible item.

Let's just target younger collectors here- they get interested in music outside of Spotify and want to buy records. GREAT. They get a turntable that they instantly discover is reviled as a piece of shit by a community that has pieced together thousands of dollars worth of equipment. So they are made to believe that the LP's they buy a) sound like shit or b) actually sound great but not on their shit turntable so they are likely discouraged on the sound quality front. So they still love records and their favorite artists- well the aesthetic of color LP's, hard to find pressings is there and that gives the collector rush that they were looking for.

Plus, I don't buy this shit that no one in the old days chased variants considering how many misprint "holy grails" with a misspelled track title on the jacket that was only pressed in England before it was recalled or fucking whatever used to sell for.

Back