All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

First thing I’m doing upon waking tomorrow, besides making coffee, is swinging on down to my LRS and grabbing a copy. Hope they have them...

I got it yesterday and forgot I had ordered it or that it was even close to street date. - I had a vague memory of ordering things that shipped from CROZET ,VA - but couldn't place it.

Flippin' to side 2 of Rat's Nest...but this will be getting frequent spins.

Super happy to hear this. Can’t wait for mine to show up and see how these new albums play into the setlist.

Did anyone else’s local participate in the display competition the band or label is putting on? When I stopped in last week my guy told me he was so I’ll try and add a photo when I stop in on Saturday.

Hey frandz! I've got two balcony tickets for the King Gizz show in Dallas next month, and I just found out I won't be able to go. Figured I'd offer them up here before I resort to other less reputable means. So let me know if you're interested and we'll make a deal!

"We give discounts!" - Homeless woman, RENT
dang, for a split second I thought that the Dallas show was the weekend after scheduled and was gonna go for it. good luck selling and with the alumni deal!

Was a little disappointed this morning when I saw ITRN is only 34 minutes long. But by the end I was kind of relieved, not that it's bad, but it's quite 1 dimensional and just relentless. Great album, but exhausting, perfect length. Funny that the new Oh Sees is an hour and 20.
Interesting you mention this because I just listened to both back to back at the gym tonight starting with King Gizz. I would agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. It’s not bad. It’s kind of good but damn it is samey. I felt the same about Nonagon although I think it is overall a better album. The Oh Sees on the other hand are anything but one dimensional. So far the standout track there was Snickersee but I haven’t finished yet. It gets quite jammy.

Interesting you mention this because I just listened to both back to back at the gym tonight starting with King Gizz. I would agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. It’s not bad. It’s kind of good but damn it is samey. I felt the same about Nonagon although I think it is overall a better album. The Oh Sees on the other hand are anything but one dimensional. So far the standout track there was Snickersee but I haven’t finished yet. It gets quite jammy.
For Face Stabber: I think the two really long jams are a little overlong to be totally worth it, but still enjoyable. The only other track that I didn't really love was Poisoned Stones. Overall I really dig it so far.

Edit:It seems a little front loaded, even though I love the harder rocking Gholu and Heart Worm but The Experimenter -> Fu Xi rocks.

Haven't checked out King Gizz yet because even though I liked the first single, thrash isn't really my thing. I don't hate it, it just hasn't totally clicked with me before. I'll give it a stream tomorrow regardless.

Fuck, I can’t wait to go on my
For Face Stabber: I think the two really long jams are a little overlong to be totally worth it, but still enjoyable. The only other track that I didn't really love was Poisoned Stones. Overall I really dig it so far.

Edit:It seems a little front loaded, even though I love the harder rocking Gholu and Heart Worm but The Experimenter -> Fu Xi rocks.

Haven't checked out King Gizz yet because even though I liked the first single, thrash isn't really my thing. I don't hate it, it just hasn't totally clicked with me before. I'll give it a stream tomorrow regardless.
Man I’m about to go on an 80 minute drive here in an hour here to stream this album. I’m so excited to say the least. I haven’t listened to a single single (lol).

And damn that cork mat is dope.
Really want one of those and that blockhead shirt.
Maybe Friday when I get paid

I listened in the same order, then to ITRN again later. I enjoyed it just as much the second time, but again I think it said everything it was going to during the first three tracks. Mars for the Rich might be my favorite track, when they played that live it was insane how it blended into the Fishing for Fishies tracks, and the studio version lives up to that.
I'm looking forward to hearing it on vinyl and giving the lyrics a proper read while I listen, but until then I think the second proggier half flies by too fast because of the congruency.

Face Stabber is too sprawling and absolutely cooked to give a decent first impression of I loved it though, I think Henchlock is my favorite. By far my favorite Oh Sees track is Paranoise, my only fault with it is that it isn't at least ten times longer, so I'm enjoying this new jammy direction for them.

When Gumboot dropped Anthony Fantano said something like King Gizz were unintentionally beating the stoner metal bands at their own game (talking about Greenhouse Heat Death and Particularly The Great Chain of Being), which I strongly agree with and I kind of had that attitude going into this; but on this side it seems more like they were trying to beat AC/DC and Slayer at their own game and kind of mastered the sound but essentially didn't quite top them. There are some great future classic King Gizz lyrics in this (Superbug is ridiculous in the best way for that), but it could have done with more Stoner/Doom vibes, or more of their signature Nonagon/Mind Fuzz sound.

Oh well, they've still delivered an album probably in my top 5 of the year and I know I will enjoy many listens of it, KEXP session will be insane.

Back