Album of The Year - Endgame

Pretty much any album on this list could be #1 - it was a good year.

1. Love - Forever Changes
  2. Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
  3. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
  4. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe as Milk
  5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
  6. The Doors - S/T
  7. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  8. The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
  9. Cream - Disraeli Gears
  10. 13th Floor Elevators ‎– Easter Everywhere

Honorable Mentions -

The Sonics ‎– Introducing The Sonics
H.P. Lovecraft ‎– H.P. Lovecraft
Bee Gees ‎– The Bee Gees 1st
Ten Years After ‎– Ten Years After
The Incredible String Band ‎– The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion
Clear Light ‎– Clear Light
Sam & Dave ‎– Soul Men
Pearls Before Swine ‎– One Nation Underground
The Chambers Brothers ‎– The Time Has Come
Leonard Nimoy ‎– Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space
The Electric Flag ‎– The Trip: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

@Woob_woob @whatwhatsaywhat @Joe Mac

I actually love The Velvet Underground & Nico! I listened to that album three times today and it’s an amazing record!

I see what you mean now Woob when you said that the album is dripping with sex! Venus in Furs really is the sound of unleashing your inner dark sexual desires. It is such a sexually charged song, and I love the kinky, punishment, I like it rough aesthetic of the track.

Sunday Morning really is such a pretty, blissful, cute, breezy song, that it’s sexy. That is still my favourite track on the album. It’s such an elegant, breezy, magical sounding song and I love the easy, breathy vocals. It’s one of the most majestic songs I’ve actually heard maybe even though it was released over 50 years ago.

There She Goes Again is also a really sexy song too! I love the charismatic singing by Lou Reed and the pounding drums and sliding guitars and storytelling. It’s so confidently sexy!

This album really does have a lot of sex appeal and lyrically, this album is amazing! I can understand why this album is widely seen as one of the most influential albums ever in music. It’s very experimental, edgy and off-kilter but it’s so charismatic, composed and beautiful simultaneously!

I’m so happy I love The Velvet Underground & Nico 🤗

@Woob_woob @whatwhatsaywhat @Joe Mac

I actually love The Velvet Underground & Nico! I listened to that album three times today and it’s an amazing record!

I see what you mean now Woob when you said that the album is dripping with sex! Venus in Furs really is the sound of unleashing your inner dark sexual desires. It is such a sexually charged song, and I love the kinky, punishment, I like it rough aesthetic of the track.

Sunday Morning really is such a pretty, blissful, cute, breezy song, that it’s sexy. That is still my favourite track on the album. It’s such an elegant, breezy, magical sounding song and I love the easy, breathy vocals. It’s one of the most majestic songs I’ve actually heard maybe even though it was released over 50 years ago.

There She Goes Again is also a really sexy song too! I love the charismatic singing by Lou Reed and the pounding drums and sliding guitars and storytelling. It’s so confidently sexy!

This album really does have a lot of sex appeal and lyrically, this album is amazing! I can understand why this album is widely seen as one of the most influential albums ever in music. It’s very experimental, edgy and off-kilter but it’s so charismatic, composed and beautiful simultaneously!

I’m so happy I love The Velvet Underground & Nico 🤗

Haha I knew Venus in Furs would catch your attention.

Haha I knew Venus in Furs would catch your attention.
It’s a fascinating song after you really digest the track. To me, it sounds like medieval meets slave-sadistic meets nightmare stripper dungeon meets treasure box. The more I listen to that song, the more I understand it. The whaling, begging, suspenseful, sexy, miserable sound matches the provocative, domanatrix, cinematic lyrics of the track so perfectly. Venus In Furs is so ahead of its time!

Can’t believe I compared this album to Wilco, who I referred to as boring and white-collared. How embarrassing of me! 😂🙈

at this stage i'mma go with...

The OrderArtistAlbum
1​
The Velvet UndergroundThe Velvet Underground & Nico
2​
The BeatlesMagical Mystery Tour
3​
The DoorsThe Doors
4​
The KinksSomething Else By The Kinks
5​
Aretha FranklinI Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
6​
Pink FloydThe Piper At the Gates of Dawn
7​
The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceAre You Experienced?
8​
Leonard CohenSongs of Leonard Cohen
9​
LoveForever Changes
10​
The BeatlesSgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
11​
The ByrdsYounger Than Yesterday
12​
The Rolling StonesBetween the Buttons
13​
Nina SimoneSings The Blues
14​
Bobbie GentryOde to Billie Joe
15​
CreamDisraeli Gears
16​
Jefferson AirplaneSurrealistic Pillow
17​
The 13th Floor ElevatorsEaster Everywhere
18​
The DoorsStrange Days
19​
Buffalo SpringfieldBuffalo Springfield Again
20​
Nina SimoneHigh Priestess of Soul

1. Phil Ochs - Pleasures of the Harbor
  2. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
  3. The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
  4. Love - Forever Changes
  5. Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
  6. Small Faces - From the Beginning
  7. The Who - The Who Sell Out
  8. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
  9. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
  10. The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile

do NOT sleep on that Phil Ochs album. It's the most complete album he ever made, not overly "protesty" if that's not your thing but still some hidden themes. It's a classic fall/autumn listening album for me. The title track is one of the greatest songs of all time. Don't @ me.

do NOT sleep on that Phil Ochs album. It's the most complete album he ever made, not overly "protesty" if that's not your thing but still some hidden themes. It's a classic fall/autumn listening album for me. The title track is one of the greatest songs of all time. Don't @ me.

"Outside of a Small Circle of Friends" is aces. I was introduced to Phil Ochs and that song by a musician at a coffeehouse when I was in high school. He got such a good response to the first Ochs song he performed that he ended up playing three more. Those songs blew my mind.

1. Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
  2. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I've Loved You
  3. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
  4. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
  5. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
  6. Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings the Blues
  7. Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
  8. Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
  9. Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  10. Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead
HM:
Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe
Barbara Streisand - A Christmas Album

I'd never heard of this but the name caught my eye. It took some digging through all the audiobooks on Spotify to find that there only seems to be a live version. Really cool album though.

It is hard to find, I don't really know why Spotify can't figure out what are bands and what is someone's name and keep them separated.

It is a little easier on a PC - the Spotify program lets you sort by album cover and not a list of all the tracks...Annotation 2019-09-04 212411.jpg

Last edited:
Repetitive and outstanding.

1. Beatles – Sgt Peppers
2. Jimi Hendrix – Are You Experienced?
3. The Doors – s/t
4. Cream – Disraeli Gears
5. Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour
6. Jimi Hendrix – Axis Bold As Love
7. The Velvet Underground And Nico – s/t
8. The Doors – Strange Days
9. Albert King – Born Under A Bad Sign
10. The Moody Blues – Days of Future Passed

classic fall/autumn listening album for me. The title track is one of the greatest songs of all time. Don't @ me.
I have to admit that the first time i herad the Name Phil Ochs was from this song years ago

i checked him out and really loved him. i agree that pleasures of the Harbour is great. It Shows the more melancholic part of his Songs , next to directly political ones like "outside of a small circle of Friends"

I gotta say, Are You Experienced is much less terrifying when you're not on too many psychedelics.
About 10 years ago now I skipped my college classes one fall Friday, ate three hits of LSD and biked across Minneapolis from Dinkytown to Lake Calhoun using the green way. I attempted to listen to Piper At The Gates Of Dawn along the way and never made it through the whole thing. It was so fucking wild!

Of course next time I checked the album out it was less chaotic. Heh

About 10 years ago now I skipped my college classes one fall Friday, ate three hits of LSD and biked across Minneapolis from Dinkytown to Lake Calhoun using the green way. I attempted to listen to Piper At The Gates Of Dawn along the way and never made it through the whole thing. It was so fucking wild!

Of course next time I checked the album out it was less chaotic. Heh
Yeah my friends and I had a pretty wild afternoon at the dock last month, oh my god. As soon as Jimi said "the traffic lights are turning blue tomorrow" we lost it, lol. Had a pretty psychedelic* day today listening to this, Piper, Surrealistic Pillow, and the first Grateful Dead record.

*(Without drugs, I mean.)

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
2. Buffalo Springfield - BS again
3. Phil Ochs - Pleasures of the harbour
4. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I've Loved You
5. Velvet Underground & Nico
6. Leonard Cohen - Songs of LC
7. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
8. Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings the Blue
9.The Kinks - something else
10. Bobby Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe

1967:

1. Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
2. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You
3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
4. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - United
5. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
6. Magic Sam - West Side Soul
7. Sam & Dave - Soul Men
8. Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
9. Eddie Floyd - Knock on Wood
10. Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - King & Queen

Honorable Mentions:
11. Four Tops - Reach Out
12. Booker T and the M.G.’s - Hip Hug-Her

1. Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
  2. Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
  3. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way that I Loved You
  4. The Doors - The Doors
  5. The Kinks - Something Else
  6. Love - Forever Changes
  7. Cream - Disraeli Gears
  8. Mississippi John Hurt - The Immortal
  9. Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  10. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Honorable Mentions
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Nice try, mates, but lets face it: It’s no Revolver) ;)

Back