3. Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
  4. Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
  5. Interpol - Turn on The Bright Lights
  6. Sigur Ros - ( )
  7. Beck - Sea Change
  8. The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
  9. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  10. William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops I

Honorable Mentions (holy shit what a good year for releases)

• Iron & Wine - The Creek That Drank the Cradle
  • Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
  • The Libertines - Up the Bracket
  • Bright Eyes - Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground
  • Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
  • ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
  • Carissa's Wierd - Songs About Leaving
  • Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose

As usual, my list that won't make any impact on the final results:

1. Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
2. Hooverphonic - Jackie Cane
3. Damien Rice - O
4. Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept
5. Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
6. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out Of Season
7. Johnny Cash - American Recordings IV: The Man Comes Around
8. Peter Gabriel - Up
9. Tom Waits - Alice
10. Joni Mitchell - Travelogue

2002:

1. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
2. Sigur Ros - ()
3. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
4. Doves - The Last Broadcast
5. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
6. The Coral - The Coral
7. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
8. The Music - The Music
9. Beck - Sea Change
10. Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

You know it's a good year when some of my favorite albums of all time aren't even in the top 5.

Ah, 2002. This was the transition between Jr. High and High school for me. This was also around the time I first started opening up to bands that weren't strictly labeled punk. Lots of great debut albums this year, and also some great work from well established bands.

1. QOtSA - Songs for the Deaf - This is the one that got me into the band. I saw the video for "No One Knows" and fell in love.
2. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - One of my biggest regrets is not going and seeing Wilco and Okkervil River when I had the chance in 2006. I wasn't nearly as familiar with either band as I am now.
3. Hot Water Music - Caution
4. Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around. Not very common for my lists to have country artists, but these songs are incredible and JC's always been an artist in the genre I enjoyed.
5. Audioslave - S/T - Surprised I haven't seen this one on more lists. A supergroup that was as good as it's parts IMHO.
6. My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. I'm a fan of the later albums now, but this one spoke to teenage me a lot.
7. Broken Social Scene - You Forget It in People - One of my first add-on purchase from VMP back in the day. Went in blind based on recommendations and never regretted it.
8. Millencolin - Home From Home - Consistently good, like every Millencolin album. If you ever need some skate punk from Sweden, this is your go-to.
9. Foo Fighters - One By One
10. Sparta - Wiretap Scars - I first found out about this band from a sampler CD I got after buying some shoes from Zumiez. Also discovered, 30 Seconds to Mars and CKY on this album. I wish I could find it, or just get a track list of the CD, there's a few other bands I remember liking too. I remember it had a pink sleeve, cd may have been pink too. Every time I remember it, I go down a rabbit hole, but I can never find it. The cd I had got thrown away after getting ruined by accident.

Honorable Mentions, in no order.

Unwritten Law - Elva
Anti-Flag - Mobilize
NOFX - 45 or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough to Go on Our Other Records. Spoiler, there's actually 47 tracks on this thing! Also, has one of my favorite songs from the band - the cover of Don Mclean's "Vincent."
The Used - S/T
Beatsteaks - Living Targets
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Blindside - Silence
In Flames - Reroute to Remain - I think this is the one where they first used clean vocals, right? The one that divided the fanbase? Anyways, I liked it.
CKY - Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild
Transplants - S/T
Sigur Ros - ( ) -
Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?

Ah, 2002. This was the transition between Jr. High and High school for me. This was also around the time I first started opening up to bands that weren't strictly labeled punk. Lots of great debut albums this year, and also some great work from well established bands.

1. QOtSA - Songs for the Deaf - This is the one that got me into the band. I saw the video for "No One Knows" and fell in love.
2. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - One of my biggest regrets is not going and seeing Wilco and Okkervil River when I had the chance in 2006. I wasn't nearly as familiar with either band as I am now.
3. Hot Water Music - Caution
4. Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around. Not very common for my lists to have country artists, but these songs are incredible and JC's always been an artist in the genre I enjoyed.
5. Audioslave - S/T - Surprised I haven't seen this one on more lists. A supergroup that was as good as it's parts IMHO.
6. My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. I'm a fan of the later albums now, but this one spoke to teenage me a lot.
7. Broken Social Scene - You Forget It in People - One of my first add-on purchase from VMP back in the day. Went in blind based on recommendations and never regretted it.
8. Millencolin - Home From Home - Consistently good, like every Millencolin album. If you ever need some skate punk from Sweden, this is your go-to.
9. Foo Fighters - One By One
10. Sparta - Wiretap Scars - I first found out about this band from a sampler CD I got after buying some shoes from Zumiez. Also discovered, 30 Seconds to Mars and CKY on this album. I wish I could find it, or just get a track list of the CD, there's a few other bands I remember liking too. I remember it had a pink sleeve, cd may have been pink too. Every time I remember it, I go down a rabbit hole, but I can never find it. The cd I had got thrown away after getting ruined by accident.

Honorable Mentions, in no order.

Unwritten Law - Elva
Anti-Flag - Mobilize
NOFX - 45 or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough to Go on Our Other Records. Spoiler, there's actually 47 tracks on this thing! Also, has one of my favorite songs from the band - the cover of Don Mclean's "Vincent."
The Used - S/T
Beatsteaks - Living Targets
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Blindside - Silence
In Flames - Reroute to Remain - I think this is the one where they first used clean vocals, right? The one that divided the fanbase? Anyways, I liked it.
CKY - Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild
Transplants - S/T
Sigur Ros - ( ) -
Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?
I saw Millencolin play in Houston once. That was fun.I think they opened for The Ataris

Decided to revisit The Music and saw they had a live album on Spotify... Yikes! I used to have a bootleg from a tour for their first album and they sounded awesome. This is no good!

I saw them live lots. I was on at least a gig a week at this point in my life. They were ENORMOUS sounding live. Actually a much better live band than on record, as much as I loved the album I was always slightly disappointed that it didn’t capture the sheer size of the sound live.

1. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
2. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
3. El-P - Fantastic Damage
4. Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
5. Agalloch - The Mantle
6. Isis - Oceanic
7. Dalek - From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots
8. Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
9. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
10. Hella - Hold Your Horse Is

11. ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
12. Clipse - Lord Willin
13. The Roots - Phrenology
14. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
15. Nas - The Lost Tapes
16. Murder By Death - Like the Exorcist, But More Breakdancing
17. Nappy Roots - Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz

Holy hell... just off the top of my head, I always assumed 2002 was a good-not-great year for music. I don't know why - maybe it's because 2000 and 2001 were so monumental that I just assumed 2002 obviously couldn't hold up with em? But looking back at it I was dead wrong - so many amazing and classic albums from that year, I might even rank it a bit higher than 2001 if I had to really think about it

I saw them live lots. I was on at least a gig a week at this point in my life. They were ENORMOUS sounding live. Actually a much better live band than on record, as much as I loved the album I was always slightly disappointed that it didn’t capture the sheer size of the sound live.
Yeah. I saw them open for Coldplay and they had a massive sound. The official live album is like..... I don't know... Not that.

Yeah. I saw them open for Coldplay and they had a massive sound. The official live album is like..... I don't know... Not that.

My favourite gig around then was seeing them and The Coral on a joint headlining “NME Introducing” tour in a night club. It was, I think, just after the release of The People EP and The Skeleton Key EP. Pretty epic. I still think that The People EP was the best thing they put out that was recorded, I love the sound they got on those four songs.

My favourite gig around then was seeing them and The Coral on a joint headlining “NME Introducing” tour in a night club. It was, I think, just after the release of The People EP and The Skeleton Key EP. Pretty epic. I still think that The People EP was the best thing they put out that was recorded, I love the sound they got on those four songs.
Nice!

Back