9. Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt
  10. Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
HMs:
Haim - Days Are Gone
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
Phoenix - Bankrupt
Darkside - Psychic
Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze

Playing a bit of catchup here, I was on vacation last week. 1999 was an interesting year. It was the year I discovered Punk, and fell deeply in love with the genre. At the same time, 11 year old me was also a sucker for the pop jams. This list is mostly going to be from current perspective, but a few throwbacks as well.

1. Blink 182 - Enema Of The State - Had to be #1. My gateway into punk. It was all uphill from here!
2. Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret - Still my fave BtS album, I have my vinyl copy up on the wall!
3. Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left To Lose
4. Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
5. Wilco - Summerteeth
6. Death By Stereo - If Looks Could Kill I'd Watch You Die
7. Third Eye Blind - Blue
8. RHCP - Californication
9. Incubus - Make yourself
10. The Aquabats - The Aquabats vs. The Floating Eye of Death! Like all their albums, just a ton of fun and so ridiculous it's endearing.

Honorable Mentions:
CKY - Volume 1 - My favorite quote about this album from an episode of OneyPlays last week: "I still don't know who sings '96 Quite Bitter Beings' because every song was named this." in regards to the Limewire/Kazaa days.
Bouncing Souls - Hopeless Romantic
Pennywise - Straight Ahead
Def Leppard - Euphoria - Highly underrated album IMHO
Sebadoh - The Sebadoh
NOFX - The Decline. This one would be top of my list if it were a full album. My favorite song from one of my favorite bands.

Alright, time for this weeks list. I was fresh out of college and just started at my current job during this year. Another year with a lot of good albums, let's go!

1. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
2. QotSA - ...Like Clockwork
3. Foals - Holy Fire
4. Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
5. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
6. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
7. Arctic Monkeys - AM
8. letlive - The Blackest Beautiful
9. White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade
10. Biffy Clyro - Opposites

Honorable Mentions
The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
Atlas Genius - When It Was Now - I have a special place in my heart for this one. I got a chance to see them live, opening for my favorite band, Silversun Pickups. I loved what I heard, but was distraught because they didn't even have a proper album out (saw them in 2012). This came out almost a year later, but was worth the wait.
The Neighbourhood - I Love You
MSI - How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence - Might get some eye rolls for this one. I liked MSI back in high school, and I liked the more mature, yet still very MSI turn the band took on this album. This album saw the band making songs with something resembling substance, as opposed to the shock value heavy, yet empty songs of the past.
Portugal the Man - Evil Friends
Grouplove - Spreading Rumours
Cage the Elephant - Melophobia
Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

First time doing one of these for this thread. I am enjoying reading others' lists!
  1. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
  2. Deafheaven - Sunbather
  3. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
  4. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
  5. Kanye West - Yeezus
  6. Candy Claws - Ceres & Calypso in the Deep Time
  7. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  8. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us Is the Killer
  9. Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
  10. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

1999:

1. Tom Waits - Mule Variations
2. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
4. White Stripes - White Stripes
5. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
6. The Roots - The Roots Come Alive (Live album)
7. Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun
8. Moby - Play
9. Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
10. Fiona Apple -When the Pawn...

Special mentions to:
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Dr Dre - 2001
MF DOOM - Operation: Doomsday
LMAO at you Selaws for your Hardcore love for The Roots! Even their live album make the cut here 😂😂😂

1. Of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
2. My Bloody Valentine - MBV
3. Lorde - Pure Heroine
4. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City
5. Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
6. Arctic Monkeys - AM
7. Candy Claws - Ceres & Calypso in the Deep Time
8. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
9. Clipping - Midcity
10. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

Pretty dang good year for music - I could've tripled the length of this list and albums 4 through 30 would all be phenomenally close in terms of quality. Though I have to say, as far as all-time GREATS go, it seems a bit weak; I like all the albums I listed well enough, but if I had to make a list of the top 50 albums of the entire decade, I really don't think I'd have more than two or three albums from 2013. What do y'all think though?

Last edited:
Pretty dang good year for music - I could've tripled the length of this list and albums 4 through 30 would all be phenomenally close in terms of quality. Though I have to say, as far as all-time GREATS go, it seems a bit weak; I like all the albums I listed well enough, but if I had to make a list of the top 50 albums of the entire decade, I really don't think I'd have more than two or three albums from 2013. What do y'all think though?
I think three of my tentative top ten for the decade are from 2013.

1. Of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
2. My Bloody Valentine - MBV
3. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City
4. Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
5. Arctic Monkeys - AM
6. Candy Claws - Ceres & Calypso in the Deep Time
7. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
8. Clipping - Midcity
9. Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
10. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

That of Montreal album was not that great IMO. It is a little bit more rocky than what I expected from them and it began a run of albums that I was really lukewarm on up until today. Paralytic Stalks was the last one I really liked a lot.

That of Montreal album was not that great IMO. It is a little bit more rocky than what I expected from them and it began a run of albums that I was really lukewarm on up until today. Paralytic Stalks was the last one I really liked a lot.
That's fair, their discography was really on a consistently downward slope between Paralytic Stalks and Innocence Reaches, though I do like White Is Relic a lot. I'm an Of Montreal mega-stan though, so I'm always a bit more partial to all their albums than most people are :p Lousy definitely took some getting used to, but I do really think the instrumental palette and genre choice worked for the more personal and intimate lyricism. The chord progressions are absolutely bonkers too - there are some progressions that, on paper, just straight up should not work, but Kevin makes it sound extremely natural and even deceptively simplistic, as opposed to the jarring derangement of the Skeletal Lamping era

.....spreadsheet updated with (i wanna go back, back to...) 1999..........

i'mma need to think a minute re a re-done ranking for 2013; top ten six (!!) years ago was:

ArtistAlbum
Arctic MonkeysAM
Janelle MonaeThe Electric Lady
My Bloody ValentineMBV
Kanye WestYeezus
Chance the RapperAcid Rap
The NationalTrouble Will Find Me
Queens of the Stone AgeLike Clockwork
Laura MarlingOnce I Was An Eagle
M.I.A.Matangi
Big ScaryNot Art

and i'd like to nominate the following for antipodean consideration and inclusion from the n&g cognoscenti:

ArtistAlbum
Big ScaryNot Art
Wolf & CubHeavy Weight
Jagwar MaHowlin
PondHobo Rocket
Nick Cave & The Bad SeedsPush the Sky Away
LordePure Heroine
Unknown Mortal OrchestraII

1. Arctic Monkeys - AM
2. Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
3. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
4. Haim - Days Are Gone