2nd Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2020)

LeeVing

We're 50 days to Halloween, but I thought I'd just start this off early since some of us are still stuck in home and have nothing better to do, and I usually start my horror watching about mid September anyway.

Just like last year, this isn't a contest - just a thread to post and rate and, if you want to, review the Halloween/Horror movies or TV shows you watch during the season.

Post the date watched, name of the movie, rating and your thoughts on it if you want to - if you post spoilers, please use the spoiler tags.

We can use the skull emoji as a rating system....

๐Ÿ’€ - Not worth watching ever again.
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ - Average
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ - Best movie of all time.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try and keep up with this better than last year. I think I only did four or five last time and even then they weren't exactly heavy hitters ๐Ÿ˜… looking forward to participating again, regardless of the amount I actually end up watching!

Sounds great.

I forgot to add this to the first post...but I saw it on a Facebook vinyl group I belong to.

It may help some people out...

118915435_10221880237330521_1777472477428739622_o.jpg

We're 50 days to Halloween, but I thought I'd just start this off early since some of us are still stuck in home and have nothing better to do, and I usually start my horror watching about mid September anyway.

Just like last year, this isn't a contest - just a thread to post and rate and, if you want to, review the Halloween/Horror movies or TV shows you watch during the season.

Post the date watched, name of the movie, rating and your thoughts on it if you want to - if you post spoilers, please use the spoiler tags.

We can use the skull emoji as a rating system....

๐Ÿ’€ - Not worth watching ever again.
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ - Average
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ - Best movie of all time.

My Wifes Bday is Halloween - I always get nervous as October approaches.

Children go missing
Strange noises in the Attic etc

Not sure what all thats about ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

01. Fright Night (1985) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

For some reason this was the first time I've watched this movie. It was kinda boring, up until the end. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it, either.

Meh.

One thing that I didn't know was that the lead is a young Gerry from Justified.

02. In Search of Darkness (2019) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

At 4 and a half hours I had to split this up over a couple sittings. For a documentary on 80's horror, it was good...but WAY too long. I think it would have been a better presentation if it were split up into 5 hour long episodes. A lot of movies are mentioned - some for too long, some not long enough, a lot were not even mentioned.

Last edited:
I LOVE HORROR!!! Will def contribute to this - will watch more this season. Had a few I wanted to watch anyways.

I'm thinking of ending things (2020) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
Wish i can give this 3.5... its not average by any means but I wouldn't say I like it as much as a 4. I watched this last week.
Not conventional horror and I'm not even sure it counts as horror but I've heard it describe as such.
Written and directed by Charlie Kaufman - just so you know what you're in for. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie making me feel this uncomfortable. It has some elements of horror but really kinda moves away from horror tropes. Its a movie you will want to rewatch again to see if you missed something when you are revealed what it means.

04. The House of the Devil (2009) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

Slow burn retro 80's Satanic Panic movie. Great sound design. Never watched it before.

I do recommend watching the Joe Bob Briggs version on Shudder....I'm going back and watching those that I missed over the last 2 years.

This is a great one. Reminds me of Rosemary's baby.

This a 2-parter....

02. Doctor Sleep (2019) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
Completely looking at this on it's own (not as a sequel to The Shining), this was not as bad as I thought it would be. It had a good story set-up / and a good ending. I didn't love it but felt very average. I think my biggest issue with it is the antagonists aren't scary or creepy. Sure they're extremely horrible people but not once did I feel any horror.

03. The Shining (1980) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
I love it - probably one of the most well done horrors I've ever watched. It's a slow burn and builds tension really well. If you've never watched it, I highly recommend you dedicate some time to it.

Looking at both and reviewing Doctor Sleep from from the standpoint of a sequel of the Kubrick movie if you want to read on...
I've never read The Shining but loved the Kubrick adaptation. I've watched the miniseries approved by King and have watched a lot of those documentaries surrounding The Shining to know what the differences are and I gotta say... I like a lot of the creative interpretations that Kubrick took with his movie. Leaving it ambiguous whether or not the hotel is actually haunted or is just a story of a man driven insane by isolation - completely makes it for me. For that reason, I'm not that keen of Doctor Sleep - it flat out explains that plotpoint and ruins some of the mystery behind it all. The reason why The Shining works vs Doctor sleep is because its more scary on a personal level. An abusive father driven insane by isolation and goes to murder his family vs strangers abducting children and stealing essence. I did appreciate the shot by shot remakes of the shining in Doctor Sleep - putting Danny in the place of his father in many places around the hotel but its just reminds me more to compare the two which doesn't favor Doctor Sleep at all

Bonus - The Shining as a romantic comedy trailer:

This a 2-parter....

02. Doctor Sleep (2019) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
Completely looking at this on it's own (not as a sequel to The Shining), this was not as bad as I thought it would be. It had a good story set-up / and a good ending. I didn't love it but felt very average. I think my biggest issue with it is the antagonists aren't scary or creepy. Sure they're extremely horrible people but not once did I feel any horror.

03. The Shining (1980) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€
I love it - probably one of the most well done horrors I've ever watched. It's a slow burn and builds tension really well. If you've never watched it, I highly recommend you dedicate some time to it.

Looking at both and reviewing Doctor Sleep from from the standpoint of a sequel of the Kubrick movie if you want to read on...
I've never read The Shining but loved the Kubrick adaptation. I've watched the miniseries approved by King and have watched a lot of those documentaries surrounding The Shining to know what the differences are and I gotta say... I like a lot of the creative interpretations that Kubrick took with his movie. Leaving it ambiguous whether or not the hotel is actually haunted or is just a story of a man driven insane by isolation - completely makes it for me. For that reason, I'm not that keen of Doctor Sleep - it flat out explains that plotpoint and ruins some of the mystery behind it all. The reason why The Shining works vs Doctor sleep is because its more scary on a personal level. An abusive father driven insane by isolation and goes to murder his family vs strangers abducting children and stealing essence. I did appreciate the shot by shot remakes of the shining in Doctor Sleep - putting Danny in the place of his father in many places around the hotel but its just reminds me more to compare the two which doesn't favor Doctor Sleep at all

Bonus - The Shining as a romantic comedy trailer:

The bar scene in the shining when heโ€™s talking to himself is probably my favourite part of the film, especially this bit:

The bar scene in the shining when heโ€™s talking to himself is probably my favourite part of the film, especially this bit:

Jack Nicholson's performance in this is amazing. And Shelley Duvall too. I've always thought these 2 made this movie - if anyone else, I don't think it would have had the same impact.

Back