Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I don't know what I'm doing for thanksgiving now.

The plan was to visit my mother. Visit my Mom, Step Father and Sister and it would just be the 4 of us.

However, one of my sisters co workers just had a test come back positive yesterday.

She got a COVID test yesterday, but has to wait 2 to 5 days for the results to come back. But my question is, does a negative test coming back in 5 days really mean anything, or should I just assume it hasn't been long enough and she my not have a high enough viral count now to test positive but could in 5 days.

My sister said it was a 4 hour wait to get a COVID test. And someone kept going up and down the line saying they don't accept insurance. You must pay in cash to get a test. It cost my sister $300 to get the test done. Thankfully work will reimburse it as they asked all employees to get tested.
I had a doctor tell me that if it has been less than 5 days from exposure the chance of a false negative is much higher. Not positive how accurate that is.

Edit: also a doctor told my wife that one negative test isn't necessarily a guarantee and that they recommend another test after 10 days or something. Obviously employers and insurance don't seem to want to support that being standard.

The plan was to visit my mother. Visit my Mom, Step Father and Sister and it would just be the 4 of us.

However, one of my sisters co workers just had a test come back positive yesterday.

She got a COVID test yesterday, but has to wait 2 to 5 days for the results to come back. But my question is, does a negative test coming back in 5 days really mean anything, or should I just assume it hasn't been long enough and she my not have a high enough viral count now to test positive but could in 5 days.

My sister said it was a 4 hour wait to get a COVID test. And someone kept going up and down the line saying they don't accept insurance. You must pay in cash to get a test. It cost my sister $300 to get the test done. Thankfully work will reimburse it as they asked all employees to get tested.

I got tested on Thursday and got exposed once removed on Sunday. My wife, mother-in-law and Hmong in law were directly Exposed on Sunday. All of us were negative. No one is experiencing symptoms. I asked the Dr wht we are supposed to do. He said as long as you wear a mask and don’t spend more than 15 minutes with a person you are fine. None of us have to go back for tests unless we start feeling sick.

As @dhodo and @Dtknuckles said, it basically depends on the level of the exposure (was the person symptomatic? were they pre-symptomatic? did they develop symptoms at all and when in relation to the exposure? were people masked? indoors or outdoors?) and the time between the test and the exposure (it takes time for the virus to replicate after exposure, keeping in mind that on average those developing symptoms do so about 4-6 days after exposure and test positive 1-3 days prior to that - and I have no idea wrt those that stay asymptomatic).

One more thing to keep in mind is that the riskiest thing you can do is eating indoors at the same table with someone (ok, I can think of riskier things, but you won't do that with your family LOL).

To piggyback, we have an outbreak in my workspace. Think military contracting life: so we all work, live, and ride together. Two of my roommates popped hot. I did not (got test same day as one of the two who tested positive). They isolated the two who popped and quarantined me. One roommate is showing slight symptoms and the other is not.

I, however, am showing symptoms. I'd like to think it's just a cold, but I doubt the coincidence and just assume that I have COVID. Government protocol for where I am is they won't even test me for 10 days from last test, so I won't get another test to have my suspicions confirmed.

To summarize: tested negative, but started showing symptoms in less than 24-hours from that negative test. Suspect everyone!

To piggyback, we have an outbreak in my workspace. Think military contracting life: so we all work, live, and ride together. Two of my roommates popped hot. I did not (got test same day as one of the two who tested positive). They isolated the two who popped and quarantined me. One roommate is showing slight symptoms and the other is not.

I, however, am showing symptoms. I'd like to think it's just a cold, but I doubt the coincidence and just assume that I have COVID. Government protocol for where I am is they won't even test me for 10 days from last test, so I won't get another test to have my suspicions confirmed.

To summarize: tested negative, but started showing symptoms in less than 24-hours from that negative test. Suspect everyone!
Hope you feel better soon!

We're planning a small Thanksgiving with my brother and his family. Everyone will be outdoors as the weather should be nice. We've got 3 tables: one for our family, one for his, and a distant one for my mother. All will be spaced apart in the yard. Masks will be required when not eating and if you have to go inside to use the restroom. I would think we'll be relatively safe that way. We've also all have been quarantining except for my kids who go to school. The cases have been very low at their school. We usually do Thanksgiving dinner inside his house with tons of people as my sister-in-law has a large extended family. The real shame is the perfect Thanksgiving meal is with my wife's sister who does a full spread. She cancelled early on as she knew her extended family wouldn't do things the right way. I really fear there's going to be a massive uptick because people can't or won't delay this year or try to do things outdoors or be unable to do things outdoors. My real worry is our poor medical community might just decide they've had enough of their fellow countryfolk not doing things the right way.

Saw a report on the local news that travel at Logan Airport (Boston) was way up over the weekend. Long lines, up to 6 hours to clear security and COVID precautions to board your flight.

This is being attributed to thousands of people traveling for Thanksgiving, despite the CDC's advice to stay home.

Looks like a decent group of people, maybe 50% of the population is saying "The hell with that advice, I need to visit grandma. I have not seen her since last year".

New study about hospital survivors.

In this multihospital cohort of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Michigan, nearly 1 in 3 patients died during hospitalization or within 60 days of discharge. For most patients who survived, ongoing morbidity, including the inability to return to normal activities, physical and emotional symptoms, and financial loss, was common (1). These data confirm that the toll of COVID-19 extends well beyond hospitalization, a finding consistent with long-term sequelae from sepsis (2) and other severe respiratory viral illnesses (3). Although most patients saw a primary care provider after discharge, 1 in 5 had no primary care follow-up visit within 60 days of discharge. Collectively, these findings suggest that better models to support COVID-19 survivors are necessary (4).

And this is cool. Put some sage tea on your shopping list:

To identify cost-effective and ubiquitously available options, we tested common herbs consumed worldwide as herbal teas. We found that aqueous infusions prepared by boiling leaves of the Lamiaceae plants perilla and sage elicit potent antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2 in human cells. Sustained antiviral activity was evident even when cells were treated for only half an hour, and in therapeutic as well as prophylactic regimens. Given the urgency, such inexpensive and broadly available substances might provide help during the pandemic - especially in low-income regions.

New study about hospital survivors.

In this multihospital cohort of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Michigan, nearly 1 in 3 patients died during hospitalization or within 60 days of discharge. For most patients who survived, ongoing morbidity, including the inability to return to normal activities, physical and emotional symptoms, and financial loss, was common (1). These data confirm that the toll of COVID-19 extends well beyond hospitalization, a finding consistent with long-term sequelae from sepsis (2) and other severe respiratory viral illnesses (3). Although most patients saw a primary care provider after discharge, 1 in 5 had no primary care follow-up visit within 60 days of discharge. Collectively, these findings suggest that better models to support COVID-19 survivors are necessary (4).

Studies like this are so important... It drives me nuts when people only focus on the deaths and act like everyone else is in the clear, because I learned firsthand that a virus that doesn't kill you can do long-term damage. A little over two years ago, I got viral pericarditis, probably from the Epstein-Barr virus, which caused the membrane around my heart to get inflamed and fill with liquid. One week I was running 20 miles a week and walking a couple miles every day (I walked to work), then one night I couldn't breathe, I started passing out at the ER, and woke up in a hospital bed the next day. I was there a couple of days, then I ended up spending a month at home too weak to even walk a block, and ended up staying at the hospital again. I missed a whole month of work, and then it took months before I could work a week without having to miss a day.

Recovering was slow and hard, and I still have bad days, healthwise. I had to claw back every bit of fitness I lost, and it's been a long, hard slog to do so. Psychologically, it's pretty brutal, too. I can't feel normal aches and pains anymore without worrying if it's come back (relapse is fairly common), and feeling so crappy for so long really messes with your head. It has definitely informed my overall caution when it comes to COVID.

Now, evidence of poor achievement in virtual classrooms is beginning to emerge nationwide: In the Independent School District in Houston, more than 40 percent of students are earning failing grades in at least two of their classes, according to data reported by the Houston Chronicle. Likewise in St. Paul, Minn., where the superintendent recently reported that nearly 40 percent of St. Paul Public Schools high-schoolers have failing marks, local TV station KARE reported.

I was worried that this would happen with virtual school.

Now, evidence of poor achievement in virtual classrooms is beginning to emerge nationwide: In the Independent School District in Houston, more than 40 percent of students are earning failing grades in at least two of their classes, according to data reported by the Houston Chronicle. Likewise in St. Paul, Minn., where the superintendent recently reported that nearly 40 percent of St. Paul Public Schools high-schoolers have failing marks, local TV station KARE reported.

Man. It’s so crazy to me because for me personally in person schooling is wayyyyyyyyy more of a distraction. Then again, I’m not 13 anymore and I understand that life behind the Xbox does exist.

It's a hotly debated Topinambur here, but germany made "keep the schools open" as the Main Focus of the New lockdown. It's still unclear how good it works, but ich understand the high value of in presence learning

Sigh.

The researchers, from the University of California, Los Angeles, University of California, San Francisco, Johns Hopkins University, Boston University and Wake Forest University School of Law, found that lifting state moratoriums and allowing eviction proceedings to continue caused as many as 433,700 excess cases of Covid-19 and 10,700 additional deaths in the U.S. between March and September.

Back