$1000 budget. NYC Apartment Setup

I see your point.

If @David A. decides to go with a UTurn, they are known to hum with powered speakers. The factory had a fix- that doesn’t work. I along with a member from the old place tried to solve it. No luck.
I’ll probably go with the UTurn if I need a smaller footprint. But I’d prefer to keep my components separate so I can build into the future. Lots of great advice here.

Actually @David A. i don’t think this has been mentioned yet. If you don’t go for a u turn a Fluance RT82 might not be a bad call at $299.99. Their RTs are nice tables and this one comes with an ort OM cart. Auto speed change is a definite plus too. I’d pick a fluance over a u turn personally. Of course all comes down to budget and balancing that across the components you want.

Last edited:
I’ll probably go with the UTurn if I need a smaller footprint. But I’d prefer to keep my components separate so I can build into the future. Lots of great advice here.
Grab one of these for $20 and put it under the Orbit. Will give a added layer of isolation from vibrations, etc. Many use them here.

@HiFi Guy, we agree on more than we disagree! I agree that cheap turntables are never worth the price of entry if you actually intend to listen to records. The Ortofon 2M Bronze is on my no-buy list, too. As for powered/active speakers, there is a upgrade path if you like that kind of thing. The first pair that enamored me was the Paradigm Reference Active/20, but today's upmarket options are far more sophisticated:

I would suggest that anyone under 50 who is looking to buy a new system to consider digital streaming options in the equation. Digital streaming is too convenient to ignore, even if you listen to vinyl +90% of the time. I use streaming to preview vinyl that I want to consider purchasing. Streaming could either be Bluetooth or WiFi, depending on the user,

@HiFi Guy, we agree on more than we disagree! I agree that cheap turntables are never worth the price of entry if you actually intend to listen to records. The Ortofon 2M Bronze is on my no-buy list, too. As for powered/active speakers, there is a upgrade path if you like that kind of thing. The first pair that enamored me was the Paradigm Reference Active/20, but today's upmarket options are far more sophisticated:

I would suggest that anyone under 50 who is looking to buy a new system to consider digital streaming options in the equation. Digital streaming is too convenient to ignore, even if you listen to vinyl +90% of the time. I use streaming to preview vinyl that I want to consider purchasing. Streaming could either be Bluetooth or WiFi, depending on the user,

To be fair though streaming is also incredibly easy to add to even a featureless non digital integrated amp. You can still pick up chromecast audio and AirPort Express’ on eBay as an entry and even €100ish can build you a really nice sounding one using a Raspberry Pi and a I2S hat DAC. I have one of those and I still like it a lot.

That’s where we differ. I’ll check out new music on my phone (free) with You Tube, then buy the vinyl.

I have a nice DAC (Marantz) but it honestly gets used only for TV/movies. The technology on the digital side changes so quickly and the resale on digital gear is zero, so I don’t care to “keep up”. Also as a generality, digital gear sounds more alike than different (to me). Unlike analog.

That’s where we differ. I’ll check out new music on my phone (free) with You Tube, then buy the vinyl.

I have a nice DAC (Marantz) but it honestly gets used only for TV/movies. The technology on the digital side changes so quickly and the resale on digital gear is zero, so I don’t care to “keep up”. Also as a generality, digital gear sounds more alike than different (to me). Unlike analog.

I always used to use streaming for new stuff on the commute but less so since Covid because I’m just not commuting! Since getting the new car with CarPlay build in I’ve got to say that I am loving streaming in the car, it’s just so easy now! I like having a streaming option in the house for the rare occasions I’m in the mood to use it but because it’s far from the focus the whole Pi setup is perfect for me because it was inexpensive and also sounds decent.

I've never been impressed with Uturn tables. I'd recommend you keep your AT120 turntable for now and add:

Audio Technica VM95 shibata cartridge ($199)
Marantz PM6007 amp with phono stage ($799)
Wharfdale Diamond 12.0 bookshelf speakers ($350)
Speaker wire with banana plugs ($50)

$1400 total.
The VM95ML is a better move. Slightly less money, longer stylus life (according to A/T).

Marantz makes some great amps. You need to move up a level. Won’t work for the budget.

I love the Wharfedale Dentons/Lintons. I’m listening to Lintons right now. But the 12.0 is a barking dog. The 4” driver combined with the small cabinet can’t move enough air to produce deep bass. Small driver + small cabinet = small sound.

Covering a couple of things just upthread:

I have the AT VM95ML on my SL1210 and recommend it.

I’m using a Marantz 6005 amp, no complaints. I’ve been using the Schiit Mani pre-amp with it for the last few years but the built-in pre-amp is fine.

Last edited:
Ortofon 2m Bronze. Buy a CD player. Some even sound better.

Really? Isn’t this supposed to be an upgrade from the blue? Does this mean the blue is even worse than the bronze, in your opinion? My next cartridge will likely be something other than an ortofon as I’ve only ever had the red and blue and would like to try others out.

Back