$1000 budget. NYC Apartment Setup

Really? Isn’t this supposed to be an upgrade from the blue? Does this mean the blue is even worse than the bronze, in your opinion? My next cartridge will likely be something other than an ortofon as I’ve only ever had the red and blue and would like to try others out.

It’s a more advanced stylus type than the blue and while it would technically work on a red/blue cartridge it and the black do share an upgraded cartridge type to the same dimensions.

The problem I have with it and the black are that they are incredibly analytical cartridges with little inherent warmth to the sound. They are fatiguing to listen to and feel closer to digital. Whilst technically impressive it’s not what I want to listen to me. For me the blue is the sweet spot in that line, it’s a nice cartridge at its price point. I always felt that the red was a dog and the top too were too analytical. I’d be looking at other options if I was spending bronze/black money.

As for next step I suppose that depends on what you would want to spend lol.

It’s a more advanced stylus type than the blue and while it would technically work on a red/blue cartridge it and the black do share an upgraded cartridge type to the same dimensions.

The problem I have with it and the black are that they are incredibly analytical cartridges with little inherent warmth to the sound. They are fatiguing to listen to and feel closer to digital. Whilst technically impressive it’s not what I want to listen to me. For me the blue is the sweet spot in that line, it’s a nice cartridge at its price point. I always felt that the red was a dog and the top too were too analytical. I’d be looking at other options if I was spending bronze/black money.

As for next step I suppose that depends on what you would want to spend lol.

Great explanation, makes perfect sense, thanks! I’m still a couple hundred hours away from a new cart so I will return to the experts when the time draws near 😊

Really? Isn’t this supposed to be an upgrade from the blue? Does this mean the blue is even worse than the bronze, in your opinion? My next cartridge will likely be something other than an ortofon as I’ve only ever had the red and blue and would like to try others out.
I actually prefer the 2m Blue.

That’s where we differ. I’ll check out new music on my phone (free) with You Tube, then buy the vinyl.

I listen to YouTube via Bluetooth through my system. The only regular streaming I do is listening to the JazzGroove.org. It’s a public radio station that’s only online. I have picked up at least a dozen albums from tracks I’ve heard there. I like having the option to listen over real speakers.

A high performing DAC can be very affordable. I have three DACs, but the most expensive sounds pretty much the same as the least. A Schiit Modi 3+ for $99 will sound great through a good system. I’d recommend using it with an analog integrated amp or using a BluDento BLT-HD ($110) if you want Bluetooth. Somewhat more expensive DACs do both Bluetooth and wired digital. My cheapest DAC sounds better than any CD analog out that I’ve ever had. I have a large CD collection so I do make use of those, but my vinyl collection is growing faster.

I’ll probably go with the UTurn if I need a smaller footprint. But I’d prefer to keep my components separate so I can build into the future. Lots of great advice here.
I take it that the UTurn with issues likely had the integrated phonostage. Whereas @HiFi Guy would never recommend a powered speaker, I’d be hard pressed to recommend a turntable with an integrated phonostage. The Technics SL-1500C might be an exception, but the PLX-1000 is a better value without a phono. A $500 phono with the PLX-1000 is likely to make a better performing combo at the same price.

Me (running a 2M Bronze and Elac Navis ARB51 active speakers), reading @HiFi Guy comments 🤣.
I like my setup, and it works good in the space I have for now. I will probably get separates one day when I have my own place though.
Hey man, I had a bronze and I liked it. Sure it's clinical but pair it with components with some warmth and it sounds great.

there are dozens of us!
Rather than going to the Bronze, I chose the Hana route. For me, the Hana EH was a better option than the Bronze in my system at similar cost. I was able to score a Hana SL for the price of a EH and have not looked back since. For warmer MM systems, I could potentially see how the Bronze could be a fit but that was not my case.

I’d find it hard to recommend as I believe a phonostage upgrade with a 2M Blue could allow for better performance and more future options. My move to a Hana was also about exploring MC options after I upgraded to the Sutherland Insight. YMMV.

Rather than going to the Bronze, I chose the Hana route. For me, the Hana EH was a better option than the Bronze in my system at similar cost. I was able to score a Hana SL for the price of a EH and have not looked back since. For warmer MM systems, I could potentially see how the Bronze could be a fit but that was not my case.

I’d find it hard to recommend as I believe a phonostage upgrade with a 2M Blue could allow for better performance and more future options. My move to a Hana was also about exploring MC options after I upgraded to the Sutherland Insight. YMMV.
Oh, I wouldn't RECOMMEND the bronze. Not at its price. Just that I don't think it's as terrible as all that.

I payed much less than retail for mine (I think it was like...$270 from Germany?), so that probably plays into the calculation.

@David A. I’m two days late to the party, but you have some excellent suggestions here. You’re in good hands. I’ll go to bat for the Orbit, I think it’s an excellent deck paired with a warmer preamp and a weight, the only bugaboo is the motors can develop noise. U Turn will send as many replacements as you need, but be advised that was my experience with it.

The Fluance RT82, I’d throw a vote to as well. Silent deck, excellent speed stability, easy to upgrade when you get the itch.

If you can stretch the budget to grab a PLX-1000, that’s likely your best move.

Someone coming from systems with active speakers, and having a lot of experience with them in studio work, for vinyl playback, you will absolutely have a more enjoyable experience with the format with passive speakers and a nice amp. The only caveat there is if you’d like to have a Bluetooth equipped powered speaker to make streaming easy, or an all in one package, that’s something to consider.

PS - @MikeH , you moved to Tarrytown? Great spot. I was born in New Rochelle.

Yes, as did I. About the same price I believe.
$270 is just a bit more than what a 2M Blue costs today in the US, if you can find one. Economics always plays a big part in gear selection! I originally was looking at the Hana EH because my phonostage at the time was not LOMC worthy. The switch to a Sutherland opened up LOMC opportunities in the EL and SL. It also made the 2M Blue sound better.

Synergy between the cartridge and phonostage is so important, probably as important as the synergy between the speakers and amp in many cases. Cartridge upgrades have to take into account the phonostage limitations.

$270 is just a bit more than what a 2M Blue costs today in the US, if you can find one. Economics always plays a big part in gear selection! I originally was looking at the Hana EH because my phonostage at the time was not LOMC worthy. The switch to a Sutherland opened up LOMC opportunities in the EL and SL. It also made the 2M Blue sound better.

Synergy between the cartridge and phonostage is so important, probably as important as the synergy between the speakers and amp in many cases. Cartridge upgrades have to take into account the phonostage limitations.
Oh for sure, I've had the interesting experience of basically being able to get half off of anything Revel, JBL, Arcam, Goldring or Mark Levinson. But it meant I had to try to build a system where the components played well with each other in terms of not skewing too warm or too analytical, without going too much outside those brands. I did, but I cheated a bit and got the 2M Black and Rega Aria stage.

I gave the Bronze to a friend after I bought my Soundsmith, but I go to his house semi regularly and listen to it mounted on a Rega P1. No complaints!

Back