Your top 5 Member Recommended Albums

AnthonyI

One of the best parts about the community, at the old "building" and now here, are the amazing albums you get to know and love by a members mention, comment or recommendation. So give me your top 5-ish member pick-ups. Albums you probably would have never thought of or discovered if it wasn't for a member mentioning it, talking about it, etc...Albums that have become some of your absolute favorites. I would avoid the "Mass Recommendation" albums, you know the ones EVERYONE is saying you should pick up. You can add a N&G ROTM honorable mention ;)

................and GO!

Here are mine -
  • Detroit Rising - A Cosmic Jazz Adventure
  • Kalela - Take Me Apart
  • Nightmares On Wax - Carboot Soul
  • Malena Zavala ‎– Aliso
  • Various - A Day in the Life: Impressions of Pepper
ROTM - Mark De Clive-Lowe - Heritage

First heard of all of these from forum folks. Someone tagged me when Pheobe's album came out and told me I'd like it. They were 100% correct.

Radio Dept - Pet Grief. I had never heard of Radio Dept before the forum and I'd say they're one of my favorite bands now.
David Ramirez - We're Not Going Anywhere
Eluvium - Copia
Fazerdaze - Morningside
Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps

First heard of all of these from forum folks. Someone tagged me when Pheobe's album came out and told me I'd like it. They were 100% correct.

Radio Dept - Pet Grief. I had never heard of Radio Dept before the forum and I'd say they're one of my favorite bands now.
Eluvium - Copia
Fazerdaze - Morningside

Any list with David Ramirez on it is a damn fine list.

So I’m going to go artist rather than albums and I’ve never been good at limiting myself...

Durand Jones & The Indications
Black Pumas
Daniel Norgren
@Lee Newman is to blame for those first three!
Middle Kids
I think pretty much the entire community is to blame for that one!
Phoebe Bridgers
Julien Baker
Lucy Dacus
Boygenius
@GritNGlitter got me on to those 4
Fiest
I don’t like to credit them but I suppose I can blame VMP for that one...

So I’m going to go artist rather than albums and I’ve never been good at limiting myself...

Durand Jones & The Indications
Black Pumas
Daniel Norgren
@Lee Newman is to blame for those first three!
Middle Kids
I think pretty much the entire community is to blame for that one!
Phoebe Bridgers
Julien Baker
Lucy Dacus
Boygenius
@GritNGlitter got me on to those 4
Fiest
I don’t like to credit them but I suppose I can blame VMP for that one...
I, as always, have to send credit back to @Crabbers for @Plaid Room / Colemine .

You can take full credit for Norgren because I remember you spending a whole night convincing me to listen it when I was being very stubborn, and then I drunkenly listened to it and bought 4 albums in one go...
That one is totally VMP. I may hate the business but they have some folks who know good music.

There are so many records, I'll only list a few :

- NEAL FRANCIS - Changes (thanks to @Lee Newman and @Crabbers - works with Black Pumas, Barbara Howard and Kelly Finnigan's records too)
- EXPERIENCE UNLIMITED - Free Yourself (thanks to @The_Stoned_Ape for sharing this on the old forum and, probably, thank you too to VMP)
- CLIFFORD JORDAN QUARTET - Glass Bead Games (thanks to @Mr Moore for sharing the accideal with Shamek Farrah that took me to collect all the Pure Pleasure reissuess)
- WILLIE NELSON - Stardust (I don't know who to thank, probably many people, but I love this record)
- GANG OF YOUTHS ‎– Go Farther In Lightness (thanks to VMP)

and

KHEMMIS - Hunted (thanks to @Goatfish - not that I don't like the others AotM (I purchased, listened and enjoyed each one) but with this one I was out of my comfort zone, musically speaking, and I was super positively suprised).

PROJECT RE-VINYL serie (thanks to @NathanRicaud, @Joe Mac and @Murfocakes for their understanding and approving when I purchased like 200€ of records from Japan and they didn't said I was crazy, it was a great Saturday morning guys!)

There are so many records, I'll only list a few :

- NEAL FRANCIS - Changes (thanks to @Lee Newman and @Crabbers - works with Black Pumas, Barbara Howard and Kelly Finnigan's records too)
- EXPERIENCE UNLIMITED - Free Yourself (thanks to @The_Stoned_Ape for sharing this on the old forum and, probably, thank you too to VMP)
- CLIFFORD JORDAN QUARTET - Glass Bead Games (thanks to @Mr Moore for sharing the accideal with Shamek Farrah that took me to collect all the Pure Pleasure reissuess)
- WILLIE NELSON - Stardust (I don't know who to thank, probably many people, but I love this record)
- GANG OF YOUTHS ‎– Go Farther In Lightness (thanks to VMP)

and

KHEMMIS - Hunted (thanks to @Goatfish - not that I don't like the others AotM (I purchased, listened and enjoyed each one) but with this one I was out of my comfort zone, musically speaking, and I was super positively suprised).

PROJECT RE-VINYL serie (thanks to @NathanRicaud, @Joe Mac and @Murfocakes for their understanding and approving when I purchased like 200€ of records from Japan and they didn't said I was crazy, it was a great Saturday morning guys!)

I did spend €160 on one single record that I still haven’t got on that same morning, so people in glass houses and all that 😂

@The_Stoned_Ape introduced me to Yussef Kamaal's Black Focus and shortly after Ill Considered 1 and started a whole rabbit hole of London Jazz.

@Colonel_Angus has made more than a few dents in my wallet with essential albums in my collection: The Comet is Coming's EP Death to the Planet (still my favourite of the bunch); Made to Break's Trebuchet; Hiromi & Edmar Castaneda's Live in Montreal. I think there are more too that I'm forgetting here.

@Skalap of course and Mark de Clive-Lowe's Heritage. I'd listened briefly to samples of this on release and it didn't really float my boat but I went ahead and bought it (and part II) on announcement of the inaugural N&G RotM and love them both dearly now.

@HiFi Guy and a few others were passionate about Leon Russell, a chap I'd never heard of, and I'd see them in What's Spinning often. I love the records of his I've acquired especially ...and the Shelter People.

There are too many really to list them all. In fact, a good chunk of my collection has been influenced by the passion with which the gang here and at the last place have written about them.

Awesome thread. I'm terrible at lists, but I have a couple that come to mind.
- Comet is Coming, I never got the vinyl but this album gets a lot of play in my house. I did pick up the CD because the vinyl reviews were so poor.
- King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, this band I discovered from VMP/ the forum. I'll give the nod to Polygondwanaland because it gets the most play in my house.

Awesome thread. I'm terrible at lists, but I have a couple that come to mind.
- Comet is Coming, I never got the vinyl but this album gets a lot of play in my house. I did pick up the CD because the vinyl reviews were so poor.
- King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, this band I discovered from VMP/ the forum. I'll give the nod to Polygondwanaland because it gets the most play in my house.
Shit. I completely forgot about King Gizzard. Yeah the talk about Nonagon got me down a rabbit hole.

Eluvium - Copia
Fazerdaze - Morningside
Pet Grief, Copia!!!

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Back