Your Collection - By the numbers 2021

AnthonyI

Around this time of the year I start looking at my buying habits for the year, have I curbed my spending, have I purged the collection, do I need to look at everything again. Everyone has their own way of sorting things out in their head to see if it's time for an intervention or not, this isn't about how many, how much or anything like that, just a look at how your collection developed over the past 12 months and how you feel about it overall.

So, coming from someone who was averaging 2 albums a day a few years back, I've made a concerted effort to spend wiser and move things along that are just taking up space. I'm not counting gifts and or PIFs in my purchased #, but they are included in the collection size (Box sets count as one).

Purchased: 123
Purged: 75
Net Gain/Loss: +48
Collection size to date: 898

I'm pretty happy with how the year went and where the collections stands, I also think the "Quality over Quantity" effort will continue to help for me.

How'd your year go?

Purchased: 63 ( including PIF and trade) ( <--- also includes a double digit number in King Gizzard Records !! )
Purged: 56 ( including PIF and trade)
Net Gain/Loss: +7
Collection size to date: 855

ill try to be at 850 by the time the year is done.
i also moved on from some records i bought this year allready, which is a good step too.

Purchased: 163
Purged: 3 (Given to my daughter)
Net Gain/Loss: +160
Collection size to date: 1811

I'm definitely slowing down and becoming a more discerning buyer. I will continue to collect variants by favorite artists, but I'm not buying "everything" that I like that gets released each week anymore.

I'm impressed that you all are able to come up with these numbers. How do you keep track? (Not that I think I would feel very good about myself if I knew how many records I've purchased this year. A neighbor brought in packages while we were out of town Thanksgiving week, just in time for all the deliveries from the recent Target sale. I think she may be planning an intervention.)

I'm impressed that you all are able to come up with these numbers. How do you keep track? (Not that I think I would feel very good about myself if I knew how many records I've purchased this year. A neighbor brought in packages while we were out of town Thanksgiving week, just in time for all the deliveries from the recent Target sale. I think she may be planning an intervention.)
I can track how many I’ve added by looking at my Discogs (I’m generally pretty good about updating my Discogs after each new purchase). But I have no way to track what I’ve purged. I’ll share my numbers as we get closer to the end of the month… who knows what else I might buy between now and then!

Like @bettim84, Cogs is my main DB and I keep it up to date, I also download the data every so often and save it in a folder. So with that I can see where I was this time last year and then some basic math will get ya there ;)

Like @bettim84, Cogs is my main DB and I keep it up to date, I also download the data every so often and save it in a folder. So with that I can see where I was this time last year and then some basic math will get ya there ;)
Okay, so I only have about 1/4 of my records entered in discogs, but I've been good about entering new stuff since I started realizing the potential of using the site for my own inventory purposes. Looking at all the 2021 releases in my collection, then going through to find earlier releases entered within the past several months that I know were relatively recent purchases, I've come up with the following:

Purchased: ~275-300
Purged: maybe 10
Net Gain/Loss: ~+265-290
Collection size to date: ~5,000

I'm not counting purchases at estate sales/thrift stores because I tend to view these as a completely different/unique category of purchase, typically $3 or less. Also, it's from this category that most of my purging occurs, so I didn't try to figure that out either.

Good idea, I've been keeping good records the past couple of years - I use a google sheet to track all purchases/sales and everything I own is in discogs - so this was relatively painless.

Purchased: 161
Sold/PIF: 35
Net gain: 126
Collection: 651

Feeling good about the collection, but maxed out on space and really like the idea of keeping things in the 650-700 range. Will be fun to check in a year from now and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Purchased: 101
Purged: HAHAHAHA C'MON
Net gain/lost: +101
Collection Size: 629

I am completely out of space and have about 50 albums earmarked for sale or PIF. Possibly more. The easy decisions have been made, but if I want to buy any more records for the rest of my life I'm going to have to start making the hard decisions. That Woodstock Box takes up a LOT of space.

Last edited:
Purchased: 101
Purged: HAHAHAHA C'MON
Net gain/lost: +101
Collection Size: 629

I am completely out of space and have about 50 albums earmarked for sale or PIF. Possibly more. The easy decisions have been made, but if I want to buy any more records for the rest of my life in going to have to start making the hard decisions. That Woodstock Box takes up a LOT of space.
I'll store that Woodstock box for you so you can buy some more stuff.

Purchased: 54
Purged: 10-12
Net gain/lost: 44
Collection Size: 497

the ambition is to stop at 500, and this will require some extra efforts in purging, either via PIF or Discog sales.
2021 was a year of relative self control in spending, but storage space is at a premium and pragmatism is required.
something gotta go if I want to keep the collection fresh.

I was going to look into this, but Discogs doesn't work too good on the phone when looking for exact dates I bought something.

Not being able to hover is an issue I'd wish Discogs would fix by just having the date and not the inaccurate "about 10 months ago"

Back