You Call It Madness: Searching for Claudia Thompson

NewsFedora

PART 1: THE GIRLS ON THE NEGATIVES

Our story begins in the summer of 2015, and with a find in a thrift store. A photographer in Richmond, Virginia, finds herself drawn to a box containing some photo negatives. Holding them up to the light, she can see an evocative scene of a woman, dressed in 1950s period clothing, along the shore of an unknown beach.

The photographs were even more stunning when developed. The woman seems to be looking out to sea wistfully, as if waiting for a ship to arrive but resigned to knowing it never will. In a dramatic sequence, the images reveal her drawn more into the water. A second woman, with bright blonde hair and a crimson red dress, appears in a few other pictures, standing along the rocky shoreline as if to bear witness to the first woman's sadness. From a distance, she too seems ultimately drawn into the same watery fate.
negatives.jpg
The photographer who found these gorgeous images was awestruck by their beauty. She put out a call on social media: can anyone help #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives?

And just about everyone else who saw the photos was just as mesmerized. Her Facebook post garnered thousands of comments and shares, and the mystery drew the attention of local and national media alike. Forensic sleuths managed to identify not only where the photos were taken, but approximately when by only a few days. Theories were numerous, but the actual identities of the two women remained elusive for several years.

And yet, the answer was hiding in plain sight. Or maybe just in the middle of a music shop's bin of used vinyl records.

Edison International was a small record label founded in Hollywood, California, in the late 1950s. The label went belly up after a few short years, and eventually the rights to the Edison catalog fell under the ownership of Sundazed Music. One of the albums Sundazed inherited was a jazz album from an otherwise unknown singer named Claudia Thompson, backed by famed jazz guitarist Barney Kessel. The album, titled "Goodbye to Love," featured the confident, assertive voice of Claudia. Many of the songs carried a somber tone of separation and the breakup of relationships, sung by a woman who sounded like she had experienced a lifetime of heartbreak.

The cover of the album? A woman in a blue dress, knee-deep in ocean waves and looking out at an uncertain future.

A girl on the negative has been found: Claudia Thompson?

Yes. And no.

It'd be easy to assume the young, forlorn woman featured on the album cover would be the voice behind those sad songs, no? And that is precisely what just about everyone who encountered the record over the next five decades concluded. But by pure chance, about a year after that online call first went out to #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives, someone updated her artist entry on Discogs.com with a new photo of Miss Thompson. "Found this headshot in an old copy of her LP, along with a handwritten letter," the uploader noted. The headshot in question:

A-5413952-1531058964-7973.jpg
Claudia Thompson indeed is one of the two girls in the negatives. Just not the one on the album cover.

"Here is the album," Claudia wrote on the back of her photo, dated December 14, 1959. "I hope you will enjoy and be able to do something with it. I will be waiting to hear from you."

It's not clear who she was writing to, but we know what the response was: the recipient was not "able to do something with it" and "Goodbye to Love" quickly faded into obscurity.

Who was Claudia Thompson? What happened to her after she recorded her lone album? The original questions surrounding those negatives found in a Richmond thrift shop seemed to be answered, but still, much of Claudia's life before and after her lone album remained shrouded in mystery.

But just like her album, Claudia herself had been hiding in plain sight all along.

PART 2: AN END TO WHITEWASHING
"Goodbye to Love" remained an obscurity, although beginning with the advent of the compact disc in the 1980s it would see an occasional reissue, probably with Barney Kessel's name attached being the draw to any unsuspecting jazz cats not knowing what they were about to get into the first time they hit the "Play" button.

Sundazed Music inherited the old Edison International catalog in the early 2000s but, perhaps not realizing right away what a gem of an album they now had in their possession, did nothing with it for several years. By 2016 with the vinyl resurgence well underway, Sundazed's sub-label Modern Harmonic -- using the original three-channel master tapes and cutting lacquers from mastering engineer Kevin Gray -- re-released the album to a new generation of collectors and jazz fans. "A sultry and sophisticated songbird," the reissue's hype sticker quipped.

The viral post to #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives had pretty much petered out at this point, being relegated to a "Hey, remember those really cool pictures of those women on the beach? Huh, I wonder what happened with that" sort of afterthought among most who had seen it.

But enough people did remember and perhaps with the Modern Harmonic reissue, the connection was definitively made between album and photographs. Then when Claudia's Discogs page was updated with a vintage photo of the artist herself in 2018 -- a light-skinned African American woman with bright blonde hair -- it came as a sort of revelation.

"I got the chills," Modern Harmonic general manager Jay Millar would later recount. "We took it for granted. We assumed, 'Why wouldn’t it be the woman on the cover?'"

If you've made it this far and haven't actually listened to any of Claudia's music, I ask you to take a moment to do so now:

One thing that becomes noticeable in retrospect is how Claudia sings. Thompson's voice sounded less like Black artists of the era like Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald and more like a white singer, such as Peggy Lee.

By now, Modern Harmonic's 2016 reissue had sold out and was going for a decent amount of money in the aftermarket. With all the puzzle pieces finally in place, Modern Harmonic moved ahead in 2021 to reissue the album a second time... now with liner notes from author and music journalist Laina Dawes to provide the historic context of the album's creation; and perhaps more importantly, a new cover with the second woman in the photoshoot. The woman with bright blonde hair and a red dress.

Claudia Thompson was finally on the cover of her album.

"Goodbye to Love" is still available for purchase on CD through MH's website, and Vinyl Me, Please put out an exclusive vinyl pressing of 500 copies that has since sold out. The album itself could now stand testament as a truly inspired work of a young, talented, African American woman in the late 1950s. What became of her afterward, remained a big question mark.

Last edited:
PART 2.5: A BRIEF DIGRESSION
Hello, folks. NewsFedora here. So if you know anything about me from my time posting here on Needles & Grooves, you'll know that I will on occasion become... slightly obsessed with a musical artist and try to consume anything and everything they put out. It becomes a bit of an adventure when said artist is extremely obscure and details are scant and questionable, at best. See Also: my way-too-in-depth dive into the VMP Classics artist Nat Turner Rebellion.

Seeing that we're around word 1,200 of this little essay, it's probably safe to say that I did it again with Claudia Thompson and "Goodbye to Love."

When VMP announced their exclusive pressing last fall, I was immediately drawn to the music preview and the cover art gave me a weird sense of deja vu when I gazed on it. Someone noticed that the cover had been changed and after some initial confusion about why the artwork would be different from just five years earlier, a light bulb went off and we traced it all back to #TheGirlsOnTheNegatives.

I remembered that original viral story and for good reason: in 2015 I worked at a local news station in Richmond, Virginia! It suddenly came back to me that when I first saw the photos online and learned the photographer, Meagan Abell, found the negatives in a thrift store literally down the street from us, I pitched that we get a reporter to do the story. I don't think the video is online anymore, but you can find the original article we wrote here.

I got excited that now I had the chance for us to do a follow-up on this fascinating story... except I no longer worked in Richmond. I now was about 100 miles away in a different news market: Hampton Roads, Virginia (aka Norfolk, Virginia Beach, etc). So it wasn't really a local story for us per se, but I thought it was still compelling enough we could maybe do something for it during the February sweeps. February was Black History Month and Hampton Roads has been home to several revolutionary Black musical artists including Ella Fitzgerald, Missy Elliott, and Pharrell Williams. Plus, I had both the VMP reissue on vinyl with the new cover art as well as a copy of the original 1959 release that I found for a surprisingly cheap price on Discogs.

And I knew that if we didn't do a story on it, nobody else would.

So here is our report, which aired on Valentine's Day:

My hope when it aired was that with this new exposure maybe we'd get some answers about Claudia's life. That's always the dream for these sorts of stories but more often than not, they don't pan out that way.

So imagine my surprise when just two days after airing, N&G member @grrrace posted to say she found Claudia.

PART 3: IRA AND CLAUDIA THOMAS
Claudia Thompson was born on New Year's Eve 1936. Her parents separated when she was young and growing up in Los Angeles, her mother would soon have dreams of fancy about becoming the mother of a Hollywood star. Claudia showed a natural ability to harmonize along with music and her mother began entering her into local talent contests. Claudia sang beautifully but had to fight a natural shyness. She was a light-skinned African American girl, and could quickly become the center of attention -- whether she wanted to or not -- with her head of bright naturally blonde hair. Today she would have been seen as beautiful but it was the early 1950s and such physical characteristics -- along with her poor vision -- was enough to get her bused with the "other funny-looking kids" she later recalled.

Claudia learned to read music to accompany her natural singing ability, but her shyness put her mom's aspirations for a stage career to rest. She still enjoyed to entertain in small groups and school choirs, and eventually her voice caught the attention of Ramey Idriss, who is probably best known today for writing the theme for Woody Woodpecker. Ramey signed her to a contract and was able to land her a record deal, and thus, "Goodbye to Love" was born.

Recorded at the famous Capitol Records recording studio in Hollywood, everyone involved felt they had a hit on their hands. Barney Kessel even gave her a fatherly talk to make sure she didn't let the praise and success go to her head. "Remember there's a big world out there, with plenty of danger and pitfalls lurking about," he cautioned her.

Claudia may have been bracing for success... but was she ready for disappointment? The first sign that things wouldn't work out went back to that album cover shoot and having a white model who sort of looked like her on the cover rather than Claudia herself. She felt "terribly hurt" by the decision but was warned "not to make trouble" over it. An album with another person on the cover was better than no album at all, right?

But squabbles among record execs outside her control sank the album further. Jack Ames, the album's producer and owner of Edison International, didn't get along with the distributor, resulting in record stores not having the album in stock. A local jazz radio station would play songs from the record, but it did little good when no one could find it for sale.

With the only records leaving the warehouse being the ones Claudia herself was taking for self-promotion, Ames eventually axed the record altogether. Stuck in limbo, Claudia paid Ramey Idriss to get out of her contract.

But failure wasn't something Claudia dwelled on. Not long after "Goodbye to Love," she met another fellow jazz singer named Ira Thomas. They began dating and hit it off right away, but Ira, "a free spirit, ready and willing to go anywhere and do anything," began thinking of moving to New York to further his career. Neither had ever been to NYC but took a chance and thus began the start of a multi-year, globe-trotting career for the duo.

They would marry in 1962 in New York, shortly before leaving for Europe. From there they toured in the UK, France, and Germany, "singing jazz standards in the manner of Jackie & Roy." From there they went to Asia spending time in Bangkok, Japan, and even a very brief USO stint in Saigon.

By about 1968 they got an offer to perform back in the states, which would let them be closer to family in Los Angeles once again. They left years earlier with only $500 to their name. They were coming back home... now with $250 total instead.

Their musical careers back home weren't much more successful and by the 1970s they had to get "real jobs" and put their singing on hold. It wasn't until the late 1980s that the itch to perform came back, and they again began to tour the jazz circuit, spending time in the 1990s in Austin, Texas; Valencia, Spain; and finally, Las Vegas, Nevada, where they would ultimately retire.

The couple maintained a website that perhaps best be described as "Web 1.0 boomer energy" where Claudia wrote essays and they sold CDs and books of their work.

Ira would pass away at the age of 80 on September 4, 2014, leaving Claudia to maintain the site on her own. The website did have a blog section that Claudia would occasionally update on. If she had seen a news story about #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives, she gave no acknowledgment of it. Ira and Claudia never had any children, so it's possible without a connection to the younger generation rediscovering "Goodbye to Love," they were completely oblivious to its crate-digger status.

Claudia sold CD copies of "Goodbye to Love" but seemed unaware of the Modern Harmonic reissue in 2016. The Internet can be an amazing tool to find and connect with folks from all over the world. It's tragic that here was Claudia Thomas, maintaining her and her husband's website online, but still largely unseen.

The start of the pandemic in March of 2020 had Claudia remark on her blog that it looked like "we are all in for a big outrageous time." She later noted a planned "bucket list gig" would have to be done as a video instead. Her final blog post on May 6, 2020, had her asking for help on how she could get her video online.

"all for now!!!" she wrote. "Any of u out there who could help please let me know."

Claudia never finished her video. She passed away two months later, on July 30, 2020, at the age of 83.

No one wrote Claudia T. Thomas an obituary. Just over a year after her death, "Goodbye to Love" would be reissued, her face gracing the cover for the very first time. 60+ years overdue and tragically, just a year too late.

Last edited:
PART 4: WAITING TO BE BORN
Ira and Claudia Thomas shared quite a lengthy musical career together, And while they never put out an album that gained as much prominence as "Goodbye to Love," they did record and release more material over the years.

Claudia's mother, Emily Woody, was a retired teacher in the 1960s when she began developing an educational program meant to help kids learn to read through the use of music. Woody enlisted Ira and Claudia to record some of the vocals on this educational record, which was released by Sussex Records in 1972. It saw some limited success in a few school districts, mostly in California.

Eventually, Sussex closed up in the mid-70s, and Emily began selling and marketing it directly, which she did until her death in 1991. Claudia, who had a strained relationship with her mother throughout life, inherited her mother's inventory of leftover copies of Phonetic Rock, which had been streamlined to a single 60-minute tape at that point along with workbooks and supplemental material. Claudia began marketing and selling it herself during her time living in Texas in the 1990s, and then with copies on her website until her death.

The album is still available today for purchase on streaming platforms.

Perhaps even more obscure was a 7-inch single Ira and Claudia released in 1969, not long after moving back to the States. From their memoir:

The duo was earnestly looking for an agent, a trio, and someone to do arrangements. They met a gent who repaired washers and dryers who had recently inherited some money, and he sponsored a 45-rpm (a two-sided single) record for them on Mel-Mike Records: "Waiting to Be Born" and the flip side "Sometimes on Sunday" which got some airplay, but they couldn't classify the duo! Are they jazz or pop? So the record just bounced around.

One of the songs was available on YouTube with the description of "Strange Pop" while the Discogs entry includes the genre "Psychedelic Rock."

So... did I find a near-mint copy on eBay and rip both sides to YouTube? You betcha!

Don't go in expecting this to be like "Goodbye to Love". The singing is jazzy, but the music arrangement has a very 1960s psych-poppish sound to it. It's something else, that's for sure.

And sadly, that seems to be about all you can readily find online. @grrrace tracked down a 1990 recording of the Ira and Claudia Thomas Quintet, but it looks like you have to physically visit a library in Valencia, Spain, if you want to hear it.

Claudia's website offers an intriguing list of other self-released albums and CDs that she was selling online. How many copies were ever made and sold, and what happened to any possible leftover stock after her death remains unknown.

So for the time being, these recordings can be considered lost, unfortunately:

IC2 Adventures in Song Vol. 1 and Vol. 2
Website description: "ic2 adventures in song Vols 1 & 2 are compilations of shows we did in the States, Europe & Asia from the mid sixties to end of 1997."
I suspect these were probably compiled from demo tapes they shopped around to venue promoters and the like during the course of their career.

IC2 in Austin CD / James Polk Trio
I found two different names but I theorize they're the same album, recorded in Austin with Dr. James Polk, possibly in the early 1990s. The website lists the tracklist for the James Polk Trio as:
1. Speak Low
2. On a Clear Day
3. My Shining Hour
4. Polka Dots
5. Boplicity
6. All Blues
7. Love for Sale
8. Blues Medley

Guitar By Claudia Anthology
Website description: "13 original compositions. Includes a tribute to President Obama"

CT's Final CD
Website description: "Claudia Thomas' CTs final CD. Originals so noted. Not 4 sale!"
I think she included this CD free with anyone who bought her book or something else on her site. It may or may not be the same thing as "Guitar By Claudia Anthology."

The couple's memoir occasionally would reference giving out demo tapes to try and get record deals or book gigs over the years and that they organized their music collection when they moved to Spain in the mid-1990s. Again who knows what the fate of any of those ended up being.

PART 5: YOU CALL IT MADNESS, I STILL CALL IT LOVE
"Goodbye to Love" will remain Claudia's crowning achievement. A timeless album that continues to inspire decades after release.

But while much of the story surrounding the album had been shrouded in mystery for most of us, we now know it didn't mark the end of Claudia's career, but instead was the very beginning of a very long musical journey, much of it shared with her husband.

They wrote a memoir together called "IC2 Adventures," which is where much of my first-hand research in this essay has come from. I have no idea how many physical copies were ever printed and sold but thankfully someone had the foresight to put it on Kindle in 2011, where you can purchase and read it today.

But as someone who did exactly that... I'm gonna dissuade anyone else from doing so unless they REALLY want to know more about their lives. If you peruse their website, you'll quickly notice Claudia's writing style is a bit... cluttered. The book is very much the same way and while there are some very good nuggets of information, they often spend more time talking about hotel dining experiences in their travels than they talk about their actual musical act. An entire chapter is literally a guide on how to travel by train in Europe in 1990, followed by a review of European jazz fests of that summer. Oof.

That -- on top of any money it being sold on Amazon going to ??????? now that they're both dead -- is why I can't recommend buying it. Although as this thread progresses I might post some excerpts and maybe we can explore possible connections and further sources of information about their lives.

Because that's where we are at this point in the journey. We now know who Claudia Thompson Thomas was, how her album came about, and what happened to her afterwards. But because the couple never had children and it seems that most of their friends are also in their late 70s and 80s at this point (if they're still alive at all), time might be running out to find people who were friends with, who performed with, and who recorded with Ira and Claudia Thomas across their 50-year career.

I think there are three locales where the couple lived that may still have connections to them today: Austin, Valencia, and Vegas. They were friends with and performed with Dr. James Polk in Austin during the early 1990s. Dr. Polk is still active in the jazz scene there and might offer some insight (and maybe even have that album they recorded together). I reached out to his current band on Facebook but haven't heard back, though...

They spent several years living and performing in Valencia, Spain under the Ira and Claudia Thomas Quintet. Searching the band brings up some reviews and blurbs here and there but not much else (also another band called The Claudia Quintet seems to have sucked up much of that online SEO). But Needles & Grooves is an international forum, so maybe someone here might have more luck digging in on this front!

Lastly, they spent their final years in Las Vegas, where they were members of the Las Vegas Jazz Society. Claudia seemed active in making and performing music up until her death, so it is possible someone knew and worked with them in their final years.

For now, the story feels unfinished but I am hopeful that in time we will learn more about Claudia's fascinating life and her career. What once seemed just a flash in the pan has quickly been revealed to be a much richer, fuller story.

Thanks for taking the time to read, to listen, and to enjoy.

Last edited:
SPECIAL THANKS, SOURCES, AND MISC. FINDINGS
I have to give a huge, huge thanks to grrrace for really opening the floodgates on the story of Claudia Thompson Thomas, and so quickly after we aired our story last month. No way would we have learned all this without your hard work.

The Thomases made several websites over the years, all having a very 90s Geocities-ish aesthetic to them. Several can only be found today through the Archive.org Wayback Machine and -- recognizing the sites that are still up could cease at any second -- I've also archived the more recent sites there for posterity:

If you're in the mood to spend some money:

For easy reference here are the Discogs links to Claudia Thompson, Ira Thomas, Ira & Claudia, and Phonetic Rock. I was quite pleased with the photo I added to the Ira & Claudia entry, which came from their book.

Lastly here are some random tidbits that have come up along the way that don't have much of a place anywhere:

Claudia singing an intro to the new Phonetic Rock CDs in the early 2000s:

A mid-1990s Spanish newsletter mentions the Ira and Claudia Thomas Quintet, from their time performing in Valencia.

Google Translate gives the following:

On the second day, Ira & Claudia Thomas Quintet took part, a marriage that recalls with its music all the splendor of the great and ephemeral duos that remain in everyone's memory. The most outstanding thing about this duo is the perfect harmony of their voices, which are complementary thanks to the fact that there is no problem with their respective egos. They perform accompanied by piano, double bass and drums.

And as noted earlier, a recording of the Ira & Claudia Thomas Quintet exists... but you have to make a road trip to the Institut Valencia de Cultura if you want to hear it.

In addition to the Thomases, the quintet is made up of bassist Javier Colina, pianist Joshua Edelman, and drummer Guillermo McGill.

Another Archive.org find name drops the existence of a recording from the mid-1960s of Claudia in the liner notes... but that recording itself is not on the site and there's no indication it still exists today:

“Do I Love You?” survives also, as do others, in manuscript, this one dated 9 November 1965, but [Stuff] Smith certainly thought about it before then. With added words he teases, to much merriment, vocalist Claudia Thomas on a rehearsal tape from Annie Ross’s Annies Room, London, 21 April 1965.

I'll update this final post if/when more stuff is unearthed!

Last edited:
Not sure how much more I could expand it at this point. Plus given the general obscurity of the subject matter, I feel like this is better suited for an online article, for easy access to the YouTube videos and other online sources.

Fair. I asked before even reading any of it. Very well suited to the online format. About halfway through and loving it so far!

As a resident of the city, I'm excited to learn there is a Las Vegas Jazz Society. I'm gonna have to check out their calendar and see what's good. If I ever run into any of the older heads I'll be sure to throw her name around and see if there are any memories.

Edit: also next time I pass through Boulder City - which isn't terribly often but it happens - I'll pay a visit to her gravesite.

Last edited:
Back