You’re Forced to spend $10k on Stereo Equipment.. what to do?

Whew, this is hard!

Amps are a pretty big ticket item, so I'm going to spin in two different ways.

Path 1: Assume you'll outgrow the amp
Streamer - Lumin U1 Mini ($2400)
DAC: Not sure on this one, but I'd probably want $2K-ish into it. This is actually an area I've been stuck on for quite awhile. No idea what DAC I'd really want under $3K.
- LKS DA004 ($1500)
- Holo Spring L1 ($2200)
Preamp: I love my 20/20, so that wins ($2200)
Amp: I've had a lot of interest in the Denon PMA-A110, so I'd go that route. Probably slightly over budget ($3999)

Path 2: Go big on the amp, outgrow everything else
Norma IPA 140B with phono input option ($8500)
Streamer/DAC: Been pleased with my CXNv2. I'd keep suggest it at $1100
Gives you a little bit for sales tax and a couple records.
That A110 has a great integrated DAC and you can find them for $3K if you're serious buyer.

You’ve passed the coolest Monopoly GO ever, and been handed $10k that you must spend on a combination of amplification, phono stage and streamer/DAC…. assume you spend equal time listening to vinyl and digital and that you have to spend it all. Assume also that you already have a TT, cartridge and speakers.

What’s your plan? Is there an all in one that you’d consider for at least two of the three, like a NAD M33 type product?

Thought this might be a fun exercise.
@Slimwhit33 - I see you're selling some choice gear. Is this more than a "fun exercise"? 😂

Ha…. I’m putting feelers out there on the Lux and Technics. I’m taking the weekend to decide what to do.

The Luxman honestly gives up nothing to the EVO400. Outside of the newness and tube coolness factor, I prefer the Luxman sound. It would honestly be change for change sake and it’s likely not the best plan.

In the meantime, if someone is interested at the prices I listed before I pull them down, I’ll pull the trigger and dive into researching something new.

Last edited:
I’d potentially go Linn also to match my LP12, or the below are likely routes for me come amp upgrade time:

Rega Aethos
Rega Aura

For a streamer:

Naim NDX2

You should just about get in under £10k if you can get ex-demo.

If not then I’d drop the streamer down to an ND5XS2.
I want to listen to the Aethos one day.

Whew, this is hard!

Amps are a pretty big ticket item, so I'm going to spin in two different ways.

Path 1: Assume you'll outgrow the amp
Streamer - Lumin U1 Mini ($2400)
DAC: Not sure on this one, but I'd probably want $2K-ish into it. This is actually an area I've been stuck on for quite awhile. No idea what DAC I'd really want under $3K.
- LKS DA004 ($1500)
- Holo Spring L1 ($2200)
Preamp: I love my 20/20, so that wins ($2200)
Amp: I've had a lot of interest in the Denon PMA-A110, so I'd go that route. Probably slightly over budget ($3999)

Path 2: Go big on the amp, outgrow everything else
Norma IPA 140B with phono input option ($8500)
Streamer/DAC: Been pleased with my CXNv2. I'd keep suggest it at $1100
Gives you a little bit for sales tax and a couple records.
That Norma amp is impressive.

That Norma amp is impressive.
It’s been my day dream for awhile. I’ve watched several friends move to it in various systems, some even “stepping down” from other amps.

Someday I hope to hear the IPA-70 to see if it might be a good in between (more obtainable) option, but they just aren’t that common in the US right now. Even the distributor hasn’t heard one in his shop.

I have heard the baby of the lineup: HS-IPA. It’s really good if you need a small footprint option, but wasn’t enough to consider taking out my Mastersound.

I’m in for the McIntosh MAC7200 receiver for $8000 and the humble Bluesound NODE for $600. The Mac will last 40 years and will drive just about anything. The NODE can be swapped out for the latest and greatest at any time.
I forgot to add the McIntosh DA2 DAC upgrade to the 7200 at $1000 to sponge up the extra budget dollars!

Back