You’re Forced to spend $10k on Stereo Equipment.. what to do?

Slimwhit33

You’ve passed the coolest Monopoly GO ever, and been handed $10k that you must spend on a combination of amplification, phono stage and streamer/DAC…. assume you spend equal time listening to vinyl and digital and that you have to spend it all. Assume also that you already have a TT, cartridge and speakers.

What’s your plan? Is there an all in one that you’d consider for at least two of the three, like a NAD M33 type product?

Thought this might be a fun exercise.

Last edited:
You’ve passed the coolest Monopoly GO ever, and been handed $10k that you must spend on a combination of amplification, phono and streamer/DAC…. assume you spend equal time listening to vinyl and digital and that you have to spend it all.

What’s your plan? Is there an all in one that you’d consider for at least two of the three, like a NAD M33 type product?

Wharfedale Linton w/ Stands $2000
MoFi Ultradeck $2000
MoFi Super Heavyweight $200
Grado Blue3 $160
Darlington Labs MP7 $660
NAD C155 BEE Line Stage $1200
NAD C268 Power Amp $1000
BlueSound Vault $1200
Schitt Modius $230
Cables $300
Surge protection $300
Taxes $700

Total $9950

I’d love to blow it all on a set of Tannoy Heritage or Fyne Audio Classic.

I’m taking liberties and using my currency and local prices but likely:

Gold Note Valour 425 Walnut €1500
Gradus Opus 3 Low Output €300
Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL €880
Bluesound Node €500
PrimaLuna Evo 300 Integrated €4500
Wharfedale Linton €1200
Cables €400
Ifi Conditioner strip €700

I think that’s €9980 in total

I’d prefer a Hana SL and a CD player, streaming isn’t the most important for me, but for the purpose of this exercise this is the way I’d go.

MoFi Ultradeck $2000
Grado Blue3 $160
Darlington Labs MP7 $660
NAD C268 Power Amp $1000
BlueSound Vault $1200
Schitt Modius $230
Cables $300
Surge protection $300
Taxes $700

Total $9950
I'm happy to have purchased the 5K "HiFi Guy" setup which contains most of these!

MoFi Ultradeck $2000
Grado Blue3 $160
Darlington Labs MP7 $660
NAD C268 Power Amp $1000
BlueSound Vault $1200
Schitt Modius $230
Cables $300
Surge protection $300
Taxes $700

Total $9950
Love this list, but assume no TT’s, carts or speakers needed.. just amplification, phono stage and streamer/DAC. You don’t get to keep anything you save below $10k. Go! 😂

I apologize.. should have been more clear initially. Assume you already have speakers, TT and cart. All you need is amp/preamp or integrated, phono stage and DAC/Streamer.

I cleaned up the original.

The best Linn Selekt I could afford with that money. Buy that, then save up and upgrade the component parts when you can.

This is my endgame. That one box, my Lintons and my Lenco and I’m all good.
Ive read a ton in the past about Linn TT’s, but know nothing about their streamers/Dacs. Time to take a look. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ive read a ton in the last about Linn TT’s, but know nothing about their streamers/Dacs. Time to take a look. Thanks.
The Selekt is the middle of the range, but isn’t MOR in terms of price! This one is modular, and it’s had a refresh recently, so there are more options in terms of DAC, surround sound etc.

My thing with them is fairly personal: I used to live a 10 minute drive from the factory, and I audited them back when I was in accounting practice. There might be other options, but my emotional pull will always go there. Their kit sounds great though - I heard one through a set of Kef floorstanders and it was a great listen.

Thanks for the backstory. I look forward to doing some research.

Last edited:
I’d potentially go Linn also to match my LP12, or the below are likely routes for me come amp upgrade time:

Rega Aethos
Rega Aura

For a streamer:

Naim NDX2

You should just about get in under £10k if you can get ex-demo.

If not then I’d drop the streamer down to an ND5XS2.

Last edited:

Add the bluesound node and you could pick a lower cost DAC.

Eye candy
MA352-Angle.jpg

Add the bluesound node and you could pick a lower cost DAC.

Eye candy
View attachment 160463
Not gonna lie.. that is pretty.

I apologize.. should have been more clear initially. Assume you already have speakers, TT and cart. All you need is amp/preamp or integrated, phono stage and DAC/Streamer.

I’m in for the McIntosh MAC7200 receiver for $8000 and the humble Bluesound NODE for $600. The Mac will last 40 years and will drive just about anything. The NODE can be swapped out for the latest and greatest at any time.

Well, based on that we'll go this route............

PrimaLuna EVO 400 Tube Integrated Amp - $5595
Manley Chinook - $2899 (Have - They raised the price on this bad boy)
Schiit Modius - $229
Magnapan LRS+ - $750?
Rel Acoustics T/Zero MKIII Subwoofer - $500

Total $9973, the LRS+ aren't available as of yet, so were guessing based on the LRS price tag ($650).

Well, based on that we'll go this route............

PrimaLuna EVO 400 Tube Integrated Amp - $5595
Manley Chinook - $2899 (Have - They raised the price on this bad boy)
Schiit Modius - $229
Magnapan LRS+ - $750?
Rel Acoustics T/Zero MKIII Subwoofer - $500

Total $9973, the LRS+ aren't available as of yet, so were guessing based on the LRS price tag ($650).

I do love how you use the royal we when you talk about buying gear, it’s almost as if you’re trying to spread the blame 😉

In all seriousness, did you get a REL in the end? If so how are you finding it?

I do love how you use the royal we when you talk about buying gear, it’s almost as if you’re trying to spread the blame 😉

In all seriousness, did you get a REL in the end? If so how are you finding it?
Its never my fault, there are always forces in play out of my control ;)

As for the REL, the seller is pondering now, so we're on hold at the moment :)

You’ve passed the coolest Monopoly GO ever, and been handed $10k that you must spend on a combination of amplification, phono stage and streamer/DAC…. assume you spend equal time listening to vinyl and digital and that you have to spend it all. Assume also that you already have a TT, cartridge and speakers.

Whew, this is hard!

Amps are a pretty big ticket item, so I'm going to spin in two different ways.

Path 1: Assume you'll outgrow the amp
Streamer - Lumin U1 Mini ($2400)
DAC: Not sure on this one, but I'd probably want $2K-ish into it. This is actually an area I've been stuck on for quite awhile. No idea what DAC I'd really want under $3K.
- LKS DA004 ($1500)
- Holo Spring L1 ($2200)
Preamp: I love my 20/20, so that wins ($2200)
Amp: I've had a lot of interest in the Denon PMA-A110, so I'd go that route. Probably slightly over budget ($3999)

Path 2: Go big on the amp, outgrow everything else
Norma IPA 140B with phono input option ($8500)
Streamer/DAC: Been pleased with my CXNv2. I'd keep suggest it at $1100
Gives you a little bit for sales tax and a couple records.

Back