YEAR END MEGALIST 2021!!!!!!

I've had a lot of fun going through this list to this point - currently through 100-89. That closing track by Lone (#89) is a top-flight end to a really good album I never would have listened to without this thread. Heck, I've only skipped one of the eleven (I couldn't get through the vocals of underscores) which is a very low number for me. Bowerbirds, Sun June, and Sonder Bombs were also three albums I had not given any listens to that hit me really well.

That Amythyst-Allison-Adia trio later in this list has me pumped to give them a play through again. Three top flight albums I just left off to avoid being too redundent.

I've had a lot of fun going through this list to this point - currently through 100-89. That closing track by Lone (#89) is a top-flight end to a really good album I never would have listened to without this thread. Heck, I've only skipped one of the eleven (I couldn't get through the vocals of underscores) which is a very low number for me. Bowerbirds, Sun June, and Sonder Bombs were also three albums I had not given any listens to that hit me really well.

That Amythyst-Allison-Adia trio later in this list has me pumped to give them a play through again. Three top flight albums I just left off to avoid being too redundent.
I've skipped quite a bit mostly because I know I've already heard them. I'm on Mogwai right now! I skipped a few because I wasn't in the mood for the genre, but I'm going to go back to them for sure. I've got them written down!

Love to see one more person listen to that Bowerbirds record!

This Villagers album is the first thing I’m thinking I need on vinyl.
There's quite a few I'm thinking I need on vinyl, Villagers being one of them. This playlist is dangerous.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep updating here as I listen, so I hope everyone enjoys my time traveling journey all the way back to the ancient year of 2021. This morning's update: I like this CHVRCHES album way more than I expected to. Hell yeah! On the other hand, while I liked the Sturgill album, I expected to like it a lot more. I think I just need to spend more time with it. I also skipped Durand Jones, but I always love their music, so I'll absolutely be coming back to it later today.

THE N+G TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2021
10​
Lucy Dacus - Home Video
69​
9​
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
71​
8​
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
87​
7​
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END
88​
6​
Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
89​
5​
Squid - Bright Green Field
93​
4​
Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
100​
3​
Low - HEY WHAT
120​
2​
Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
120​
1​
Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be an Introvert
206​
I really love this top 10. That Arlo Parks is fantastic.

Thanks, @Jake! for making that playlist! I'm really enjoying that Middle Kids album. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of them (the name is pretty generic) and this album was not really on my radar at all this year, but I'm glad to be checking it out now. Thanks to @Hammer, @Joe Mac and @ModernCyrus for including it on your lists !

I really like the songs "Momentarily" and "Full Faith in Providence" on the Villagers album, too - that album kinda reminds me of like a more melodic-sounding Flaming Lips.

OK some of my picks made it in - so not too bad. I'm kind of surprised that Lone made it on the list even tho it's one of my favorite albums this year and something like Halsey didn't as I would have thought Halsey would have more fans here (even tho I gave her less points).

Celeste is the only pick I have in the top 20 and she's rounding out the end. I haven't heard of a lot of these actually - got some stuff to check out i guess.

OK some of my picks made it in - so not too bad. I'm kind of surprised that Lone made it on the list even tho it's one of my favorite albums this year and something like Halsey didn't as I would have thought Halsey would have more fans here (even tho I gave her less points).

Celeste is the only pick I have in the top 20 and she's rounding out the end. I haven't heard of a lot of these actually - got some stuff to check out i guess.
I didn't have Halsey on my list but I thought her movie of the album was excellent.

OK doing some checking, I think i singlehandedly contributed Lone with 20 points! But I think everyone should listen to it if they even remotely like electronic music.

Edit: OK I can see why you guys like this Little Simz album.

Last edited:
There’s a Newbury press of that Sun June album on sale right now:

This is the first year my aoty (st Vincent) didn't make this list and I'm honestly super shocked! I feel like it somehow got completely forgotten and I don't really know why

Agreed. Though my #1 was also the site #1..

Also, I voted on this and then drove cross-country for a move and totally forgot to check the results while adjusting to a new city. So I'm glad this got bumped again.

Back