YEAR END MEGALIST 2019

I disagree. It's not his best but better than I Know What Love Isn't. I blame the awful album art for some people's perception of it.
Yea I'd agree I'd take it over I Know What Love Isnt (I hate that album), but there isnt another Jens album I'd rank lower than it, hence on the lower end of his discography.

For the first time since 2015 (aka my last non-dad year) I have enough for a top 10! Sadly it consists of the only 10 albums released this year that I actually heard the whole way through. Here they are (point allocation in parenthesis):

1. Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe (15): The album makes more sense after seeing her music live. And is it just me, or doesn't it feel like this album came out years ago?

2. Tool - Fear Inoculum (15): I didn't think I needed Tool in my life again. I was wrong and I think this is now my favorite album of theirs.

3. Ladytron - Ladytron (15): Glad to have Ladytron back in my life so I can be a fanboy again.

4. Lana Del Rey - NFR! (12): Finally gave this album a fair shot earlier this week. I'm clearly not the target demographic but wow. That last song blew my mind.

5. Wilco - Ode to Joy (10): A yawner at first, but after seeing them live I see that this is an old school "grower."

6. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride (10): Bought it based on the singles and my own dad-rock reflex. A tad too long?

7. Rhiannon Giddens - There Is No Other (10): Not something I'm often in the mood for, but I love the unique instrumentation.

8. Caroline Polachek - Pang (5): One of my favorite human voices. "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings" is probably my favorite song of the year.

9. Aldous Harding - Designer (5): When it's good, it's really good... but there are snoozers too. The music video for "The Barrel" is something else.

10. Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold (3): The most unanswerable question of 2019 is, "how would this album be regarded if it was released by a different band?"

Last edited:
10. Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold (3): The most unanswerable question of 2019 is, "how would this album be regarded if it was released by a different band?"

Such a great question. Because this album has grown on me especially after seeing it live. Carrie effing shreds on it. I think it would be regarded quite darn well if it was not an SK album. You?

For the first time since 2015 (aka my last non-dad year) I have enough for a top 10! Sadly it consists of the only 10 albums released this year that I actually heard the whole way through. Here they are (point allocation in parenthesis):

1. Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe (15): The album makes more sense after seeing her music live. And is it just me, or doesn't it feel like this album came out years ago?

2. Tool - Fear Inoculum (15): I didn't think I needed Tool in my life again. I was wrong and I think this is now my favorite album of theirs.

3. Ladytron - Ladytron (15): Glad to have Ladytron back in my life so I can be a fanboy again.

4. Lana Del Rey - NFR! (12): Finally gave this album a fair shot earlier this week. I'm clearly not the target demographic but wow. That last song blew my mind.

5. Wilco - Ode to Joy (10): A yawner at first, but after seeing them live I see that this is an old school "grower."

6. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride (10): Bought it based on the singles and my own dad-rock reflex. A tad too long?

7. Rhiannon Giddens - There Is No Other (10): Not something I'm often in the mood for, but I love the unique instrumentation.

8. Caroline Polachek - Pang (5): One of my favorite human voices. "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings" is probably my favorite song of the year.

9. Aldous Harding - Designer (5): When it's good, it's really good... but there are snoozers too. The music video for "The Barrel" is something else.

argh! I forgot Rhiannon Giddens! And our native daughters! To the edit button!

Such a great question. Because this album has grown on me especially after seeing it live. Carrie effing shreds on it. I think it would be regarded quite darn well if it was not an SK album. You?

Me? I already said I don't know the answer!

(I'll say that a good friend of mine had a different report about their live show. He said he didn't like them at all without Janet, which is really too bad.)

Me? I already said I don't know the answer!

(I'll say that a good friend of mine had a different report about their live show. He said he didn't like them at all without Janet, which is really too bad.)

Lol, you sure did say that. Reading comprehension skills are at a low today.

I get what your friend says very much. Janet left a huge hole. It took an adjustment in thinking to enjoy the show. But I looked at it this way - instead of trying to watch 3 women destroy, I only had to split my attention between 2. So I was more able to hone in on Carrie and Corin's performance. I barely paid attention to the drummer other than to think to myself, "adequate job with Entertain; we'll never see Let's Call It Love live again; oh, did she just mess up that beat there?"

Lol, you sure did say that. Reading comprehension skills are at a low today.

I get what your friend says very much. Janet left a huge hole. It took an adjustment in thinking to enjoy the show. But I looked at it this way - instead of trying to watch 3 women destroy, I only had to split my attention between 2. So I was more able to hone in on Carrie and Corin's performance. I barely paid attention to the drummer other than to think to myself, "adequate job with Entertain; we'll never see Let's Call It Love live again; oh, did she just mess up that beat there?"

That's funny you mention that. The same friend said he didn't like the show at all EXCEPT "Entertain" ruled. So I guess we can all agree on that.

Well, Nathan, I'm going to include Caroline and Charli. And you know @gaporter will include Charli. So, you're gonna leave us out to dry??? ;)
Unfortunately I’m going to have to leave you both Caroline Polachek and Charli XCX empty handed. If I was to include them, I would have to make the four albums I awarded 15 points, to have only 10 points! And I want to go big on the points with every album I list 😈🙈😅

I love both those albums, but I want them to be in the top 10! Charli XCX has not even been mentioned yet I don’t think.....😖

I’m rooting for Billie Eilish and Lizzo to both be included in the top 10 for this 2019 list! 🤞📬📮

Unfortunately I’m going to have to leave you both Caroline Polachek and Charli XCX empty handed. If I was to include them, I would have to make the four albums I awarded 15 points, to have only 10 points! And I want to go big on the points with every album I list 😈🙈😅

I love both those albums, but I want them to be in the top 10! Charli XCX has not even been mentioned yet I don’t think.....😖

I’m rooting for Billie Eilish and Lizzo to both be included in the top 10 for this 2019 list! 🤞📬📮
I have Charli XCX in mine. With 7 points

The Divine Comedy - Office Politics (20)
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell (20)
Jamie Cullum - Taller (15)
Lamb - The Secret Of Letting Go (15)
Rex Orange County - Pony (10)
Weezer - Weezer (teal album) (10)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated (10)

Something like that.
edit. ok, let's hope I don't have to change it again.

Last edited:
The National - I Am Easy To Find - 20
Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T - 20
Sharon Van Etten -Remind Me Tomorrow - 20
PUP - Morbid Stuff - 15
Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride - 10
Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 1 - 10
Big Thief - Two Hands - 5

Like previous years, I'll post a couple of albums and will edit during the rest of the month until I have a definitive list.

18: Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
15: Joel Ross - Kingmaker
10: Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Bandana
9: Mark de Clive-Lowe - Heritage II
9: Bad Bunny - X 100PRE (Came out super late 2018, so I think it counts)
8: Kokoroko - Kokoroko EP
7: Brockhampton - Ginger
6: Daymé Arocena - Sonocardiogram
6: clipping. - There existed an addiction to blood
5: Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
5: Mark de Clive-Lowe - Heritage I
2: Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin¿

I'll shave it down and add points to each over the course of the month
Thanks for doing this @Woob_woob

Last edited:
Top 10! (no particular order)
  • Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
  • Black Mountain - Destroyer
  • Cage The Elephant - Social Cues
  • Chelsea Wolfe - Birth Of Violence
  • Feels - Post Earth
  • Kadavar - For The Dead Travel Fast
  • Lightning Dust - Spectre
  • Russian Circles - Blood Year
  • Tool - Fear Inoculum
  • White Reaper - You Deserve Love

Can't believe we're here already...

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies - 10
Clowns - Nature/Nurture - 6
Wand - Laughing Matter - 5
Crypt Trip - Haze County - 3
Frankie and the Witch Fingers - ZAM! - 3

Pijn & Conjurer - Curse These Metal Hands - 10
Asthma Castle - Mount Crushmore - 7
Witch Vomit - Buried Deep in a Bottomless Grave - 3
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance - 3
Knocked Loose - A Different Shade of Blue - 3

Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermès 7 - 10
Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Hiding Places - 7
Crimeapple - Wet Dirt - 3
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana - 3
Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin¿ - 3

Billy Strings - Home - 10
Tyler Childers - Country Squire - 1

Iglooghost/Kai Whiston/Babii - XYZ -10

Think that puts me exactly at 100. Love reading all these lists. Thanks as always for doing this @Woob_woob

Now this is a rowdy list — I approve. Nice to see a list that forks from the familiar.

Big ups for Crypt Trip and Frankie. Groovy stuff.

Back