Will replacing my AC cord with a more expensive one make any difference?

Fixxman32

Currently using the ac cord that came with my Ultradeck. Will purchasing a more expensive one do any difference other than to my wallet? 🙂

It might make you feel better, but I doubt it will transmit electricity any better. I do have a bias against "premium" AC cords, though.

@AnthonyI @HiFi Guy may have a better explanation, but it's my understanding that if the power cord is efficient in its power transmission, the unit operates quieter and is more likely to run in the manner it was intended, which in turn translates to a cleaner, crisper sound. That's probably oversimplifying it.

@AnthonyI @HiFi Guy may have a better explanation, but it's my understanding that if the power cord is efficient in its power transmission, the unit operates quieter and is more likely to run in the manner it was intended, which in turn translates to a cleaner, crisper sound. That's probably oversimplifying it.
Ya, but you got the nuts and bolts of it ;)

I've swapped the power cables on all my gear, but that said, you don't need to go crazy. I have Pangea Audio AC-14 on my TT, amp, pre and CD player and they've been rock solid. I've never gotten any feedback on any of the tables I've used, they've all been dead quiet.

That being said, this wanders into the cable/snake oil territory, so what I would recommend, if you can, pick them up off Amazon, give it a try, if it's not worth the investment, return them ;)

@Fixxman32 Depending on your system, power cables can make a difference, but don’t expect a night and day difference. It’s worth a shot with a money back guarantee.

I’d expect an upgraded power cable to make little or no difference with a turntable as opposed the a phono stage or amplifier.

In previous non vintage systems I had good luck with Harmonic Technology AC11 power cables. YMMV

If you have crappy AC in your house that can cause problems with the turntable motor.

I use a good quality power strip with surge suppression on my vpi table and perodoically check my AC with a meter to make sure its close to 120 and steady.

Here’s a funny one for this thread.

I purchased a very nice turntable from Japan but it runs on 100v, not 120v. Had to get a transformer for component longevity. The turntable has a thick, supple power cord that goes for $100+ sold separately, The transformer has a cheap, thin zipcord running to the wall. Not at all “audiophile” grade.

The turntable sounds terrific in this setup! I just need to hide that bright yellow transformer.

I have observed differences with changing power cords, but to varying degrees. Funny enough swapping the power cord on my AppleTV was the biggest difference. Followed by DAC, phono, then preamp. I didn’t get as noticeable difference with my amps, and I didn’t observe any difference with my turntable. This was with several power cables of varying price points from $70 to $900 per cable.

Of course, YMMV.

Ya, but you got the nuts and bolts of it ;)

I've swapped the power cables on all my gear, but that said, you don't need to go crazy. I have Pangea Audio AC-14 on my TT, amp, pre and CD player and they've been rock solid. I've never gotten any feedback on any of the tables I've used, they've all been dead quiet.

That being said, this wanders into the cable/snake oil territory, so what I would recommend, if you can, pick them up off Amazon, give it a try, if it's not worth the investment, return them ;)
so I went to amazon and typed pangea audio ac-14 and it's like a car with a million variations of some letter nonsense after the 14 and runs the gambit of like $80 to $350... so which one are you using, dude?

Also, while we're on this subject. Would buying a fancy outlet produce similar results? Or does that matter if you are running a power conditioner? (admittedly, I am not running the fanciest one, but it definitely reduced nonsense like dips in sound when the ac cut on - when the old unit was dying unbeknownst to me and I just thought I had fucked power - there's more to the whole fucked power, but I don't want to bore yall with correcting wiring in my house)

so I went to amazon and typed pangea audio ac-14 and it's like a car with a million variations of some letter nonsense after the 14 and runs the gambit of like $80 to $350... so which one are you using, dude?

Also, while we're on this subject. Would buying a fancy outlet produce similar results? Or does that matter if you are running a power conditioner? (admittedly, I am not running the fanciest one, but it definitely reduced nonsense like dips in sound when the ac cut on - when the old unit was dying unbeknownst to me and I just thought I had fucked power - there's more to the whole fucked power, but I don't want to bore yall with correcting wiring in my house)
Some say yes. It depends I guess. I ended up buying “hospital grade” ones for ~$25/ea. I like the firm hold they have on the cords.

I mean I just bought my first piece of kit that cost more than 1k, so the thought of spending that on a cable gives me shivers. I am absolutely certain my wife would be like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU DOING? She may be like that if I replace the outlet.
Imagine the look I got when I handed our electrician 2 PS Audio outlets and explained that I wanted a dedicated line run from the circuit breaker box to the outlets and that I wanted the line to be on its own circuit breaker. Dude looked at me like the cheese had slid off my cracker.

My wife’s comment: “Don’t ask questions, just do it.” 😂😂😂😂😂

Related is that her parents can’t use their ceiling fan while watching TV. The fan motor dumps a bunch of crap back in the power line that screws up the picture. We don’t have that problem.

Clean power is clean power, if you can do it, do it. I'd say a good power conditioner would be the first step and honestly you could leave it at that, again, you don't have to break the bank for a quality unit with a solid guarantee behind it. I know cables are a loaded subject, but having quality power/input cables will definitely black out your system, I mean the one thing I never here is any hiss, feedback, etc. A quiet pressing is dead quiet...............I'll repeat for the sake of argument, you don't have to spend a lot on this stuff.

I'm using the SE's like @HiFi Guy, I've had no complaint, the length will dictate the price.
Amazon product ASIN B003LLHVQG
You could also keep an eye on Audio Advisor, the cables pop up in their clearance section from time to time.

Imagine the look I got when I handed our electrician 2 PS Audio outlets and explained that I wanted a dedicated line run from the circuit breaker box to the outlets and that I wanted the line to be on its own circuit breaker. Dude looked at me like the cheese had slid off my cracker.

My wife’s comment: “Don’t ask questions, just do it.” 😂😂😂😂😂

Related is that her parents can’t use their ceiling fan while watching TV. The fan motor dumps a bunch of crap back in the power line that screws up the picture. We don’t have that problem.
Oh, I'm getting close, lol. Since my breaker box is literally on the same wall my system is on I'm thinking of running a dedicated line and new outlets this summer. What's been holding me back is a possible shuffle of where things are in my space.

I mean I just bought my first piece of kit that cost more than 1k, so the thought of spending that on a cable gives me shivers. I am absolutely certain my wife would be like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU DOING? She may be like that if I replace the outlet.
I know you have something, but I've been on this one for over 5 years now, saved my system twice in that time and works flawlessly. This has gone under $200.
Amazon product ASIN B00ILH7KJI

I’m not a big believer in magic power cords; it must be the engineer in me. My position is that I strongly doubt that a designer of a quality audio component would compromise its performance with something as simple as a power cord. The packaged power cords are fit for purpose.

Back