Wilco (The Thread)

I'm going to say it again - Ode to Joy is a banger and is in line with some of the best of Wilco. Its not loud - and my Avatar should inform on where I stand on letting it Rip - but OTJ fucking rules.

I don't need Cousins to be a RAWK record - I just want it to move the Wilco needle in an new/interesting direction.
I mean not for nothing, I don’t see new/interesting directions in their future. They are still a very solid act but their days of reinventing rock are long past them.

Last edited:
I worry the comparisons to A Ghost Is Born are just setting me up for disappointment, but I'm going in with an open mind and tempered excitement, and hoping for the best. If nothing else, I'm sure it will be an album worth adding to the collection, and I can't wait to see the new songs performed live in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to say it again - Ode to Joy is a banger and is in line with some of the best of Wilco. Its not loud - and my Avatar should inform on where I stand on letting it Rip - but OTJ fucking rules.

I don't need Cousins to be a RAWK record - I just want it to move the Wilco needle in an new/interesting direction.

Totally agree on OTJ. Listen to that a lot.

And I think Cousin is exactly what you ask for… That’s six songs in first listen.

I mean not for nothing, I don’t see new/interesting directions in their future. They are still a very solid act but their days of reinventing rock are long past them.
Not sure they ever "reinvented" rock but they have been going in interesting new directions and trying new things with every single album.

I don't need reinvention from Wilco any more.
I am just hoping we don't get t Wilco's version of 72 Seasons or the First 2 Pages of Frankenstein - where it seems like they cant stretch or morph themselves into something I cant get on the previous albums.

I don't need reinvention from Wilco any more.
I am just hoping we don't get t Wilco's version of 72 Seasons or the First 2 Pages of Frankenstein - where it seems like they cant stretch or morph themselves into something I cant get on the previous albums.
I don't need reinvention either – but at the same time, I just haven't been all that impressed with the last several albums. To me, the approach has felt more like Wilco being employed as Tweedy's backing band. The albums have been solid, but underwhelming to my ears. If Cousins represents a new direction from that recent trend, I'm here for it!

Live band, different story - they have been amazing for the past decade at least! On that note, they just announced the dates for Solid Sound next year. This will be my fifth one, can't wait...

My take on the new album: I love it!

I’m not the most analytical listener, I think. I tend to go by emotion and in this case fandom. So, I basically like everything that Wilco have done in the last three decades or so.

Some have mentioned a nod back to the sonic experiments of A Ghost Is Born. A couple of songs perhaps have bit of that, but I think it sits very nicely as an amalgam of Sky Blue Sky and Ode To Joy, so: quintessential Wilco?

The production is fantastic and the Chris Bellman cut/Bob Ludwig master makes for very nice listening experience.

Happy listening all!

IMG_5053.jpeg

I'm also digging Cousin. The songs share a fair bit in common with recent Wilco releases – but even on first listen, Cousin was instantly more interesting and engaging to my ears. The production is solid – Cate Le Bon worked some nice magic here. "Infinite Surprise" is a great opener, and there are some really strong songs ("A Bowl and A Pudding", "Pittsburgh" and "Soldier Child") on the second half of the album. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few of these become live staples.

I'm four listens in so and I really dig it so far. Seems to have clicked the other night. (Though I know I'm more into recent Wilco than many of you, it's too early to say it's their best in a long time for me. I think Cruel Country is a masterpiece, and I think this iteration of the band started out with two just pretty good records (very good for anyone else) and have continued to find their stride; they've put out only great records since The Whole Love, IMO).

I haven't bought a record since January and have been enjoying that life. But that January purchase included Cruel Country, which sounds incredible. Safe to assume the same for Cousin? Your reactions and that elsewhere online seem to suggest so.

Last edited:
3 listens in and Cousin is their best work in a LONG time.
I've had it on repeat since Friday, and picked up the vinyl yesterday (which sounds incredible, by the way). I'm already willing to go so far as to say it's their best since Sky Blue Sky - and unlike many, I actually loved Schmilco and Star Wars. 12 days to seeing some of these songs live. Looks as though their recent sets have had either 5 or 6 tracks from Cousin.

Back